News Desk

Cringle

• 3 months later...

Hi guys.I'd just like to let everyone know officially, I've temporarily been made moderator on the forums, helping out the team for a while, who are unbelievably busy. I get the general impression from members on here that you think we can do better with running our community. I would just like to say that the moderators and admins are very passionate about this site and its members, but each of them has a right to have their own lives outside of this community and sometimes aren't able to be here as much as they'd like.The team are currently organising a meeting to discuss how we can make our community a great place to be for our forum veterans and newbies alike. I've been a part of this community for 6 years. I've made some great friends on here and had the chance to talk to people who I probably wouldn't have been able to if it wasn't for here. I'm extremely passionate about other members experiencing the same things that I have.Just a quick update about some of the minor changes across the forums that have taken place lately. We've tidied up the Thorpe Park quick questions sub-forum which was looking pretty messy but it can now breathe again! We have also re-arranged the LC12 Sub-forum to three main threads.LC12 News is where you can discuss any updates on construction, planning applications and the process all the way through to ride opening. It's basically your general discussion on the ride. LC12: Name and Slogan is where you can suggest and discuss the name for the 2012 project. Then there is the LC12 Speculation thread, this is where you can discuss thoughts on the theme and story of the ride. Basically anything we don't know about the ride goes in there.As the project progresses and as a result, see an increase in posts and forum traffic, we may re-structure this sub-forum again to make it easier for you guys and for us to be able to provide the best way to keep on top of discussion.I'd like to reiterate that this community, this forum, is yours and if there is anything anyone can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact any of the moderating or admin team. Just to clarify, that is either myself, Michaela, Ryan, Ian, Mark or Marc. I am online most evenings as are most of the other members of the team.I hope you guys are up to speed with things. Happy posting! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,So I think it's about time we brought all of our members up to speed with things with what our aims are for our forum community.Members of The Team spent the majority of yesterday (I was up for over 30 hours working on stuff) brainstorming ideas and going through member suggestions and feedback, to decide on a potential plan as to how we can bring the community forward and into the future.Firstly, let me just say that we plan to experiment with lots of different things over the coming weeks and depending on feedback, we will listen and see what's best for everyone. That's an important point I feel, "best for everyone", ie- not what pleases four or five people. You can't please everyone, it's impossible, but having something that pleases the majority is a good middle ground.I may as well tackle the Chat Room situation first. Let me shed some light into what happened last night. Since the Chat Room was introduced, we have received an unbelievable amount of complaints from other members, parents, Merlin representatives and the parks themselves.The truth is, Chat, in its current form cannot continue forever. Things need to change. If we don't change, then this could lead to much, much more serious implications for our community. Considering the amount of members we have on here that actually work for Merlin as well, I'd like you to think what implications this could have on their jobs.Last night, we took the decision to take the feature offline, whilst all the moderating team discussed possibilities, not only for the chat room, but for other areas of the forum too. Like I mentioned, this is not a decision we're taking lightly, it's being forced upon us and we have no choice. At the moment, a manageable moderating structure does not exist for the chat room, so that is something that we need to implement before we can continue with our Chat Room and unfortunately, some possibly unpopular rules may need to be put in place.To work around this, these are some ideas that we have discussed, but not implemented as of yet....My idea was to make chat into a weekly/ bi- weekly event where on our selected days, we have topics of discussion which give people a purpose to be there and discuss something. This would solve the problem of members lingering around in there and then eventually, some kind of drama unfolds and this is a major source of complaints of the chat room. There are lots of members that would love to be involved in the chat room, but we have received complaints about comments made and the constant spammy arguments that occur in there. Not our view- but the views of our members.We have to agree on what our Chat Room is actually providing for everyone. Right now, it is a glorified messenger service in which offers nothing else to our community that other social networking sites don't offer. I feel there needs to be something worthwhile to having a Chat Room, so having discussion topics could be one solution.The idea of how it would work would be a chosen subject, sometimes park related, sometimes other topical points, therefore, if you'd like to participate then you can, but if not, then don't. This is not to say that once conversation has run dry, that we can't then have a general conversation with each other. The topical discussion points are to help members feel included in the discussion and not just a new member talking to a group of established members.Other solutions would be to only have the chat available when an Admin/ Mod is available and bringing in a watershed for younger members or having a minimum post count to enter the chat. I've obviously outlined my personal solution in more detail but note that none of these solutions will be experimented with until we have a proper moderation system installed.We have listened to various points about our moderating style on the forums and trust me when I tell you that they have all been taken on board. I'll tell you my personal view, which is that we should allow more leeway in all sections of the forum in terms of freedom of discussion for our members and I think we have been overly strict at times. However, we will all need to decide on a compromise so that our moderators are happy and also one that our members can cope with, with clear rules and guidelines of what is what isn't acceptable on the forums.As we have listened, we're in the works of setting up a banter section our on forums due to concerns that the fun and jokes were being lost from discussion. It's not my personal preference- I would much rather we had it running throughout the forums, within reason, but it was a suggestion made by our members and the team are willing to experiment with it. So expect that to appear in the coming weeks.We discussed our meets. We have only just begun to shake off the bad reputation that our meets received from 2009/ start of 2010, this we're really pleased with and on the whole, everyone seems to enjoy our meets and we would love to keep growing the scale of our community meets and offer for trips for people. We hope you enjoy them as much as we all do.Now, let me touch on some of the changes planned to the Mania Hub site. Again, nothing is set in stone but these are some of the changes you can expect:Maniahub.com main page- we have removed the coming soon banners for our planned sister sites. At this current moment in time, we shall not continue development on these sites. We would like to perfect what we do have before we make the choice to expand. Basically, we want to offer you quality over quantity.Now, we know the page looks strange now but bear in mind this is only temporary whilst we go about changing and improving the Mania Hub page itself. It won't stay that way forever and we realise it's not a very appealing first image for our site guests.Let me tell you some other planned updates for the main page. We're working on re-instating our team blog; we've got various ideas and we want to make it more interactive and want to possibly include members and also discuss site news, meet ups and basically make it much more personal for our members and the team itself.Other than that, we just want to make sure that everything is correct and up to date and is still relevant to our aims for the site and community. We want to lean the forums to a more industry wide forum which I feel reflects the trend of discussions on the forum. Indeed, some of our best topics are the industry wide ones such as "Other Attractions and Park News". More emphasis shall be made on us being Mania Hub rather than solely TPM. We're going to remain faithful to our roots though, we still have a lot of members who love Thorpe and will continue to discuss it on our forums.I'll leave you with a final thought. Please accept that we work on this site for you. We have no personal agendas. You all know, we don't get paid and it's a thankless job. We accept this and we realise that we have to be prepared to accept all feedback and take it on board, it'd be ignorant not to. I hope that this post demonstrates that we are listening and we have taken things that members have said on board. We love you guys and without you, there'd be no purpose for this community. We're all old and new friends and are here for very similar reasons, please keep that at the back of your mind whilst enjoying the community and know that we are always working hard to improve things for everyone.Take care guys,Sheepie and the Mania Hub Team.

What exactly were the issues with the chat room, you seem to have side stepped that point? I have never really noticed any arguments whilst I was on there. My main 'negative' point about the move would be that the chat room was the only way of talking to people on here, including you Sheepie, really. I'm sure people like Dano and other regulars would agree on that point. I'd like to know how you are planning to overcome this?

Hi again guys.

Well, I told you the team were working on things and very soon we're going to be able to implement some of them. We have listened to everyone's views and have appreciated all of your feedback. Please remember, if you would like to provide us with feedback about a specific issue, please use the relevant topics provided. This is to reduce spammage!

Forum Feedback TPM Feedback Team Member and Forum Member Expectations

Last night, The Team spent a large amount of time reviewing our Forum Rules. We're in the process of simplifying our existing ones and making sure that we're all happy with them. This isn't a major change but we felt that it would improve clarity with Forum Members and Team Members as to where they stand.We also listened to your views about our Chat Room. Let me tell you what we're doing with that. We're going to re-instate it within the next few days. Possibly over the weekend, depending on progress made for our rules and moderating strategy. The Team have been compiling a simple, clear list of rules for all Forum and Team Members to abide by, these will appear on the forums in due course as well as appearing before you enter the Chat Room itself. Please take your time to read these; by entering the Chat Room you are agreeing to them and we expect that level of respect from you guys.As we respect your opinions and contributions to the community, we have agreed to keep the Chat Room open permanently. We shall be making sure that there are Team Members who are present during the most popular times, however, we won't be present in there 24/7 so if you are using the Chat Room, please respect the specified rules. Chat Logs will be reviewed and we shall be extremely disappointed if we see any of you disregarding these rules.I'd also like to point out, we shall be using a fair policy, by which I mean, during late at night, there will be a much more relaxed attitude towards the Chat Room rules. Similarly, if you are in chat with just a couple of people who you know very well, these rules shall be relaxed. However, during our most popular times where we have relatively large numbers of members, some as young as 13, we would like you to be considerate and respect our policy, this is to protect our community and for a better atmosphere.If you have a dispute with another Forum Member in the chat without a Team Member present, please use the PM service and we shall sort things out for you as soon as we're able to.We're all very lucky to have a Team that are extremely committed and passionate about this community. We're also very lucky to have members who care. As Daniel9 said, you're moaning because you care (or I'd at least hope you do) and even though sometimes Team Members take it personally, we do realise your passion and appreciate your commitment, so in response to this, we would appreciate your time and patience for us to show you just how much we do care about you guys.We're entering a very exciting time, both for the parks and for Mania Hub, we would love for you to come along for the ride with us. Let's get back to discussing what we're really here for- our love for theme parks, entertainment and a flaming good laugh with friends.Take care as always,Sheepie and the Mania Hub Team.

• 1 month later...

Afternoon guys,Now that more details for LC12: The Swarm have been released and are likely to be getting more as the weeks and months go by, we would like to re-affirm the difference between the two discussion topics dedicated to the new project. This is two help us keep on top of our moderating and to help you guys keep track of what is being discussed.LC12 Updates: The Swarm- this thread is for discussion about any updates we receive such as construction, press statements and anything factual. Speculating about ideas or opinions of the future attraction is not to be posted here.Lc12: Speculation and Theories, however, is where you post if it's something that is speculating what we do not know about the ride. This includes ideas about special effects, themeing, operations... ect.As construction continues, things will get pretty hectic in this sub-forum; as we have reminded you of the two separate threads and their purpose we ask that you please respect this to help us to provide a clear way of presenting discussion.Enjoy the run up to the opening of the ride, it's not too often that we get such exciting times.Best Wishes,Sheepie and the Mania Hub Team.

It's easy for the two topics to be confused with each other and obviously there'll be cross-over posts where part would/could fit into either/both sub-forums. But as you say it'll all completely bottleneck if in the coming weeks we gets a lot more information or possibly even members who might not follow the rules as other members do. So I'll do my best from now on, Sheepie. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...