News Desk

Cringle

The new site looks awesome, but I too have a couple points.

1. Are you gonna slap a theme on here at some point?

2. The user history doesn't seem to be working. I went to look at someones post history and it loaded nothing... Might this be because they haven't yet posted on the new site? If so would it be possible to load data from the old site?

3 minutes ago, Heather-Rose said:

The new site looks awesome, but I too have a couple points.

1. Are you gonna slap a theme on here at some point?

2. The user history doesn't seem to be working. I went to look at someones post history and it loaded nothing... Might this be because they haven't yet posted on the new site? If so would it be possible to load data from the old site?

There will be a new theme in the future - stay tuned!

As for user history - I beleve this will start to work soon - at the moment the forums are doing all sorts of things in the background with caches so hopefully once that's done that will reappear! :) 

4 minutes ago, 3Dimensions said:

Would be nice to have the option to change to the older style, this one looks way too modern and clean for my liking. (I'm a member on the Muse boards where you can change themes, even to those back when their forums started).

This isn't the final skin for the forum - will look into how possible it is to use older skins as an option.

13 hours ago, Celia Mae said:

The mobile site skips to your oldest unread post when you enter a thread, it just takes you to the beginning if you click on the topic title or the end if you click on the last number like the desktop site :(

The desktop theme does the same (unless I'm doing something wrong), it's the only unlikable part as it means you have to have a good memory for finding the last post you read in a topic.

Just now, Ian-S said:

The desktop theme does the same (unless I'm doing something wrong), it's the only unlikable part as it means you have to have a good memory for finding the last post you read in a topic.

I always had that experience on the old desktop site too :pardon:

On another note noticed a thing with the new desktop site, not sure what I make of all the personal information about a person that gets shown under the avatars now. 

Firstly the way it's displayed makes it difficult to differentiate the facts from each other and looks quite messy.

Secondly it is just quite a lot of information. As well as all the info we used to have like post count, title, what group they're in and their username (which imo was all you need to know about a person when just reading a post) we now see people's gender, where they live, interests, favourite ride AND favourite park, and depending on how much they have written on their own profiles it's a lot of text and makes the posts take up a lot of space. Also just not really sure how I feel about all that about me being put out there every single time I post. People want to know what I'm interested in, they can click on my profile.

2 hours ago, Ian-S said:

Is that in the forum itself or the new content page?

Can confirm if you click the blue dot on the main page or next to a sub forum it acts like 'mark forum as read' for that section like on the old desktop site, and if you press the blue dot/star (depending if you've posted in it before) next to a topic link it will take you to the oldest unread post in that topic :)

54 minutes ago, Celia Mae said:

Can confirm if you click the blue dot on the main page or next to a sub forum it acts like 'mark forum as read' for that section like on the old desktop site, and if you press the blue dot/star (depending if you've posted in it before) next to a topic link it will take you to the oldest unread post in that topic :)

On the main page the blue icon will mark as read - within the forum it's self it should take you to its latest post.

39 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Just a small point, it now requires you to log in with your display name rather than user name (not sure if this was intentional or not).

Good point - this is a change, display names are no more in this version and everything is based from your username.

1 hour ago, Celia Mae said:

Can confim click the blue dot on, a the  main page  see or next to a sub forylike 'mark forum as read' fo bor that section like on the old desktop site, and if you press the blue dot/star (depending if you've posted in it before) next to a topic link it will take you to the oldest unread post in that topic :)

The same works on the unread content page too, although the gap is quiet small between the dot/star and the topic title which can sometimes cause inadvertant taps on the topic title for us with fat fingers.

There's also something funky going on with the quickreply which causes random edits to the quote (as you can see above) and seems to prevent you deleting text you've just typed,   but this might be my ancient tablet related rather than the forum itself.