Fastrack

Ryan

They try and update them as much as possible but sometimes it's not possible as they have to do their job. Focusing on making sure people are correctly buckled into their seats on rides is a bit more important than updating the queue line. It's like where I work, I have to make sure we have enough clean glasses but if a customer comes along and wants a drink then I have to stop and serve them. The priorities part of work means that sometimes things get left. They do try though.

Buckling the ride is really not important. The ride operation doesn't need the seat belts, they are just there so if they need to get people off not in the station all the seats don't release at the same time. The ride wont leave unless all the seats are locked and it only takes 5 seconds to type in 2 numbers.

Colossus would have a fairly high throughput to be fair if it wasn't such a pain to load (not helped by the layout and size of the station).

The belts are mainly for the ride staff to know that once they are buckled the bar is locked and can be dispatched without question. That's why they jump on people's seats to get the belt in, because once it's in the system is happy. They can manually release rows of bars at a time if there is an evac so the belts offer no added safety really (that's why Saw doesn't have them because they're just an added cost).

As for queue times, in Stealth's console the operator had an Ipad with all the rides on and what looked like drop down boxes to select queue times so I believe it's easier to update them now as they can do it from the console instead of having to relay it through control or something?

They also had a map of the queue line on one of the screens which showed how long the queue roughly is from certain places on one or two trains so I'm guessing most of the rides have these reference map things to decide the queue times.

As for Fastrack, it's a pain but must make the park so much money. But it is wrong, the fact you can complain about Fastrack and get some for doing so? Wrong. It's lost it's "privilege" feel and does sometimes feel like a necessity. Double the price, halve the number sold and the people buying it will receive a more premium service. (Thorpe aren't the only place to sell lots of fastrack, Universal sell loads, but their rides have the capacity to deal with it plus Forbidden Journey doesn't have it (or even a queue for it) and I've heard it'll be the same for Gringotts). You know it's bad when instead of running to a ride at 9:30 or 10, people run to get their Fastrack tickets sorted.

Buckling the ride is really not important. The ride operation doesn't need the seat belts, they are just there so if they need to get people off not in the station all the seats don't release at the same time. The ride wont leave unless all the seats are locked and it only takes 5 seconds to type in 2 numbers.

Actually seat-belts tend to be put in as a bit of a failsafe in most rides (especially as those that use the ratcheting system of restraint (B&Ms) could theoretical release mid-ride more so than those that use Hydraulics a la Saw/Smiler)... So they can be deemed just as equally important on a ride's safety features as anything else...

As Holly did say though, ride ops/hosts do have a bit more priority over the running of the actual ride over getting the correct queue time... Perhaps if management assisted with this (As they do roam about a lot more and can more readily see the queue) we'd see a bit more work involved? That or give the outdoor batcher the ability to change the times over say the operators...

The trouble with increasing prices in my mind is that it could well create a very distinct divide between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Yes, you want to create a premium service, but I think a balance has to be created. Make it too expensive, and you alienate too many people. Make it too affordable, however, and too many people want it.

I'm all for raising prices of Fastrack, but I wouldn't want to see prices ridiculously sky-high.

That small piece of fabric does not act as a fail safe it is there so if a evac is required and the seats are released they do not all release at once. On B&M and intamin multiple rows get unlocked at the same time and so the belts are there to hold them so 1 row at a time is removed. Gertslauer have individually unlocking seats so they do not need seat belts. As for hydraulic seats are considered safe that is true but that doesn't explain why The Swarm has seat belts. The only purpose for belts is in the event of an evac, the ratchet system can not slip otherwise there is no way they would be allowed to have them. You can believe what you want but I am telling you they are there for evac only.

That small piece of fabric does not act as a fail safe it is there so if a evac is required and the seats are released they do not all release at once. On B&M and intamin multiple rows get unlocked at the same time and so the belts are there to hold them so 1 row at a time is removed. Gertslauer have individually unlocking seats so they do not need seat belts. As for hydraulic seats are considered safe that is true but that doesn't explain why The Swarm has seat belts. The only purpose for belts is in the event of an evac, the ratchet system can not slip otherwise there is no way they would be allowed to have them. You can believe what you want but I am telling you they are there for evac only.

In an evac multiple rows are not opened simultaneously though... Indeed, the only way multiple rows are opened simultaneously is in the station, whether it be due to the current being reconnected (Vampire, Saw) or the latch being opened (B&M)...

Evacs involve rows being done one after the other... Both for weight reasons and of course that every restraint has to be opened manually... So they can't all release at once anyway, as there is no possible way for them to do so (Vampire for example, requires the current connector to open the restraints, the only way to release them mid-ride is to go underneath the train and grab the two hooks within the seat)... One would assume that evac procedures for rides where the restraints are connected together per car (like a B&M or Intamin) would not have an entire train of restraints rise up, but per row instead...

Why a manual release would open the entire train in one go is beyond me I must say...

Ratchet systems can obviously slip if the wear if enough mind... Basic friction... Of course a train with a dodgy restraint system would never be out on track (seen it enough times on Fury where we took a car off because a restraint was dying)...

A ratchet doesn't rely on friction it relys on the fact that metal cant go through metal which is the electromagnetic repulsion of atoms, not friction. When I said that its to prevent all the restraints I meant all of the restraints on the same system. So if a car consisting of 2 rows is released you don't want both rows getting off at the same time you only want one.

I was talking about buckling belts as a procedure that would become a priority over looking at queue lines. Please don't ever get a job in a theme park if you think that following procedures is less important than anything else.

Next point is, different rides and different manufacturers. Your using one specific ride as an example instead of considering that others have different restraint systems. Shocking that is isn't it?

I was talking about buckling belts as a procedure that would become a priority over looking at queue lines. Please don't ever get a job in a theme park if you think that following procedures is less important than anything else.

Next point is, different rides and different manufacturers. Your using one specific ride as an example instead of considering that others have different restraint systems. Shocking that is isn't it?

Just to a point, a ride platformer would never have access to a phone or iPad to change the queue line in the first place. The ride operator would have access to this and in-between dispatching trains and checking cameras, would have the time to update the queue when necessary. Safety is paramount but queue times are one of the biggest complaints at a theme park so getting them as accurate as possible is important to parks guests..

Just to a point, a ride platformer would never have access to a phone or iPad to change the queue line in the first place. The ride operator would have access to this and in-between dispatching trains and checking cameras, would have the time to update the queue when necessary. Safety is paramount but queue times are one of the biggest complaints at a theme park so getting them as accurate as possible is important to parks guests..

Hmmm..."change the queue line" you say? (turns to Vampire and The Smiler in inspiration) ;)

A ratchet doesn't rely on friction it relys on the fact that metal cant go through metal which is the electromagnetic repulsion of atoms, not friction. When I said that its to prevent all the restraints I meant all of the restraints on the same system. So if a car consisting of 2 rows is released you don't want both rows getting off at the same time you only want one.

Amazing... Actually amazing...

As it would appear you don't really know what a ratchet system is, here's a pic of a basic one off Wiki...

387px-Ratchet_Drawing.svg.png

Notice how component 1 and component 2 rest upon each other? Now when the restraint is pulled down, component 1 will rotate in accordance, meaning that component 2 will move... Constant usage in a theme park environment of course will mean the two components are constantly moving against each other, which will cause friction, and of course that in turn causes wear upon the two components...

Friction is caused by two objects rubbing against each other, this electromagnetic repulsion is only to do with preventing solid objects from passing through each other... They are not the same thing...

As for releasing restraints during an evac, again, when manually releasing a train it tends to be done per individual row, as there is no physical way (lack of current connector or release mechanism) that the restraints can all be released simultaneously during an evac... This may be true of things like Saw mind (sure someone who's worked on it could provide insight into their evac procedures), but that doesn't have seatbelts so doesn't link with your viewpoint that it prevents an entire train of people getting out during an evac...

That small piece of fabric does not act as a fail safe ... the ratchet system can not slip otherwise there is no way they would be allowed to have them.

It certainly does (even if that is not their primary role) and, as someone who has been on the receiving end of that exciting split second of a ratchet slip (dueling dragons btw), they certainly can.

As Holly did say though, ride ops/hosts do have a bit more priority over the running of the actual ride over getting the correct queue time... Perhaps if management assisted with this (As they do roam about a lot more and can more readily see the queue) we'd see a bit more work involved? That or give the outdoor batcher the ability to change the times over say the operators...

I was outside by nemesis infernos entrance yesterday which said 50 minutes, and twice within about 5 minutes I heard the ride op announcing the queue is approximately 30... So why not change it on the board as people can see that park wide!? Colossus said 5 mins at one point in the day which I thought was odd... Next thing it was like 80 minutes!

Amazing... Actually amazing...

As it would appear you don't really know what a ratchet system is, here's a pic of a basic one off Wiki...

I am fully aware what a ratchet system is. If a ratchet is in good condition then the thing stopping the ratchet from moving backwards is the fact metal cant pass through metal. That picture has it so the faces are following the line of the diameter of the circle where as quite often they don't. A good ratchet system has it so the flat surface is at an angle so that part 2 can not slip back up. That way they have far longer life spans as it takes more to wear and is obvious when the ratchet is old and needs replacing.

I know the evac procedures on saw and stealth as one of my best friends was working at the park in 2010 as an engineer. Saw has a different type of locking which doesn't use a ratchet it is a hydraulic system which allows for individual seats to be released rather than row by row.

1st of all the seatbelts are only there for evacuation reasons they are not there as a fail safe as if you think about it a skinny only just hit 1.4 kid will not survive it the restraints fail he will still fall out. Most restraints have 2 or Evan 3 pistons or rackets that lock for example Colossus and vortex both have 2 pistons that are there if the lap bar fails it's has 1st and then 2nd piston to keep them lock and if they all fail the ride won't be able to clear to send. The seatbelts are only there for evacuation reasons where if you plug a battery pack in it will relice the car so Colossus has 7 cars per train each car has a slot so when it's inserted the 4 seats will be reliced it so we can safley get people out 1 at a time if the evac looks difficult. Same for stealth and I believe nemmy done in there rows same with swarm saw does not have belts because the batter pack has a hand held device that has 4 buttons on it and therefore you can relice them 1 at a time without the other 3 in that row comming up as well.

CoasterBro_zps0b7e43da.png

(dips his sunglasses) "You sure it's worth every penny? Somehow I think not!"

I understand as it is saw... but it was closed on our visit the week or so before, so my friend who hadn't been on it yet this year really wanted to go on it - I did come off with a headache, but the indoor section and airtime hill was well worth it!