Replacing samurai?.....

GladiatorFanKyle

I was wondering if in the future the park remove samurai what would they replace it with? My idea for a good ride is a Tivoli Extreme (6 arm version of course as the 4 arm version would create terrible queues and you'd have to have a very short ride time!) they are really good fun and have sort of a low height restriction (good for kids to have their very first extreme ride as its not a huge ride height) and if thorpe really wanted to improve safety they could add seatbelts onto the restraints) :) what do you think of my idea?

I was wondering if in the future the park remove samurai what would they replace it with? My idea for a good ride is a Tivoli Extreme (6 arm version of course as the 4 arm version would create terrible queues and you'd have to have a very short ride time!) they are really good fun and have sort of a low height restriction (good for kids to have their very first extreme ride as its not a huge ride height) and if thorpe really wanted to improve safety they could add seatbelts onto the restraints) :) what do you think of my idea?

As it is another fun fair ride it will probably die as fast as Samurai has and will probably break down a lot because of the amount of load it's subjected to because it is being used so much more then it is meant to.

I think Samurai has been running quite well this year to be honest, it's been running a lot quicker and it's much more intense (obviously not as much as other topscans :P ) . Don't know how long this will last though ;) 

Like EC said, I wouldn't really like to see another fun fair ride at Thorpe, and I really couldn't see a Tivoli Extreme fitting in at Thorpe, although it does look like a great ride. Would love to see another flat replace it in the future though, instead of using the space for something else.

I don't understand this sudden belief Samurai is going anywhere? It's still a popular flat ride at Thorpe. Yes, maybe it's throughput isn't great but it consistently pulls a crowd (well, after mid-day on a quiet day). So I don't think it'll part from the line up lightly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What like the current Samurai did at Chessington? The same ride that is neutered because it was absolutely smashed to pieces during its five seasons at its former home. I'm all for a properly run top scan but we would just be repeating history.

Well Whirlwind at Lightwater Valley isn't knackered and that runs on the most intense setting possible so Chessington must have maintained it poorly.

Well that may be the case Coaster Jamie. I don't know anything about Lightwater Valleys maintenance schedules, all I can see is that the ride opening times at the park vary wildly compared to the Chessington days when Samurai was running 10am to sometimes 10pm. 12 hours of full on intensity rides and a ride in busy periods with over two hours of queuing time. Even the funfair equivalents aren't pushed that far. So understandable that Samurai at Thorpe Park can be pretty limp. And you're expecting a new Top-Scan, at a park with longer operating hours then Chessington, to be perform full throttle rides for an entire season constantly.

Expecting a bit too much I think. 

You have to remember Whirlwind does 7 hour days at the most and that's at weekends. In the quieter months (September and stuff) the park is only open weekends so it's easier to maintain it as they can strip it down each week and give it a service before the following weekend if needed much like the travelling ones will receive. Whirlwind is also so not the most intense setting, it's good but still not to the standard of how fun fairs operate their top scans.

Samurai was on an okay setting on Thursday evening and was operating during the rain, receiving a hard battering in a couple of showers(when I was on it, it poured with rain and the ride still operated afterwards). The ride has been shut since Thursday evening, I don't know why but if anyone is on park I would be grateful as going soon and want it to be fixed.

I remember last year, when they put samurai on a better setting for preview night, then it was shut for the rest of fright nights due to technical difficulties. I just hope this doesn't happen again, at least slammer is open this year for fright nights though.