Drayton Manor

rollerross11

Staff that don't even look at their rides? Rides so graffitied they wouldn't look out of place in Brick Lane? Rough, short and boring rides? A park that won't even put on a second train when said ride as an hour queue and can't even be bothered to purchase a second train for its second major coaster? A delapidated Zoo?A park that has quite literally fallen out of the 70's through a crack in time into 21st century Britain.Posted Image :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to visit Drayton Manor for a day in the summer. I havent been before and its only one day, plus it will be very busy. Does anyone have any tips and things I should take note of while I am there?Like what ride should I go on first?What ride will get the biggest queue?Best places to eat? ....etc...Please don't start slagging off Drayton though, I know it may be a little rubbish, but this is going to be my first time so it might be fun...although Flamingo land was a dissapointment when I first went there...

Head to G Force first. It only has one train and with only 12 seats on its existing train it will get a queue quite rapidly. Then head over to Shockwave which even though has two trains, will probably be only running one.. and most of the seats could be out of action so yeah.. get those two out of the way then enjoy the rest of your day.I can't really recommend anything else such as eating as I haven't been for a few years.

storm force 10 out of the parks I have visited has to be by far the best water ride in the UK and is rather well themed and a great experience.Apocalypse is the best drop tower I have been on and gives such a rush and thrill and there's the different style of seating to try.Maelstrom is my friends favourite ride, when we visited we rode it over and over over again because she loved it.I am also looking foward to hopefully visiting the park in a few weeks time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm of to drayton manor on wednesday and it says about the opening times that it closes at a minimum of five, I was wondering does it depend on the weather what time they close and also seeing as its summer and their busiest period won't it be open till later?also I'll try to write a review or something when I get back from my visit :P

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just been to Drayton manor and it was much, much better than I thought it was going to be, especially after all the things other people have said about it. The two things that I found to be most special about the park were the Queue lines and Apocolypse. When I mention the queue lines, I'm not talking about how short they are, I'm talking about the theming inside of them. It was amazing and so much better than any theme park I have been to so far. Especially stormforce 10. Apocolypse was the best ride in the park hands down. I absalutely loved every part of it, from the themeing, the music (Kerrang radio), the short queue lines, and the sheer height of it. And the fact that you can stand up on it! It was just fantastic.

I agree, the park gets very slammed by alot of people from what I have seen on here but I found it one of the best parks in the UK IMO.Granted I haven't visited as many parks as alot of the people here but I found the park deserved far more credit than it was given.The queue for stormforce 10 was as every ride queue line should be, such a level of detail and attention created such an extensive theme and atmosphere for the ride.The park provides some great rides to the UK, granted some are not best comfortable but they mainly all are immacuatley themed, considering this is a theme park that is run a family rather than a large chain it left me with a hunger and rather dissapointed with those parks which are owned by the big chains because in some cases they didn't match up to the level of attention Drayton had put into the park and it's rides.I feel the park should recieve far more credit than it currently does it offers a great service on a par and possibly higher than many of the big chain theme parks in the UK.The only downsides I found from the park were the guests, the staff where relatively fine and pleasant.

I think it gets slammed because people do expect a lot from it before they go and it doesn't really deliver. For instance, you are absolutely right about Stormforce 10's queueline, it is absolutely the best queue line in this country with theming that goes up and beyond what we expect. But then the ride is essentially lots of concrete troughs so the Cornish Fishing Village 'theme' isn't followed through. It's exactly what the outside bit of Saw: the ride is like, just rubbish compared to whats gone before.I've always taken issue with the "amount of trains" on a ride thing. I went during peak summer period five years ago and Shockwave was on one train and half the seats were out of action. Why didn't they bring on the other train or use the other train instead? It doesn't give you absolute confidence in the parks engineering if out of a 24 seater train, you can only use 12 seats which are dotted around the train. It's the same thing with G Force, instead of adding that stupid sound machine in the queueline, why didn't they invest in a second train?Drayton Manor has glimpses of awesome, for instance I adore its Rapids ride for being genuinely wet, Apocalypse is always good for a thrill and I do like Shockwave because of its fantastic zero G roll, despite its rather simplistic RCT layout. But I always come away thinking what problems the park has rather then what an excellent day I had.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's no real need for fastrack at any park.. and yet there it is.

True!^ As said about there's no real need for such a system at Drayton, G-Force queue will be long in the morning as most people hit that first (it's near the entrance), if you leave it until the afternoon you will have a much shorter wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh god. Visited this park last month, and by christ it was laughable at how poor the place is. I think one of the main things about the park which mehhed me is there is no signature real attraction, nothing worth noting about. People mentioned Maelstrom, but it's just an alright ride I spose!However, dunno why people moan about the staff as they were genuinely rather friendly and chatty, however could be that the park was completely and utterly dead. We were the only two people on most rides.Some rides are cute, but the lack of maintenance is unbareable, and tainted the attractions (the haunting/excalibur).This park came bottom of my list comprising of Oakwood, Flamingo land and Lightwater Valley ;)

• 1 month later...

Gerstlauer has now confirmed their involvement in 9 different projects in 2011, which will include 2 new family coaster concepts on display at IAAPA. For this they have created a high capacity single train operation, and one of the new rides will be a new Family Shuttle Coaster design.

Gerstlauer has now confirmed their involvement in 9 different projects in 2011, which will include 2 new family coaster concepts on display at IAAPA. For this they have created a high capacity single train operation, and one of the new rides will be a new Family Shuttle Coaster design.

Sounds interesting, will one of these coasters be at Drayton Manor next year or have no plans been released yet? They are supposed to be having a new ride next year, but it has been confirmed that it will not be a flat ride or I think also not a water ride, so therefore they must be installing a new coaster. If so, it will do the park some good.

• 3 weeks later...