Drayton Manor

rollerross11

is it not supposed to be a launch coaster (mack) over some of the lake... I heard rumours that they were eyeing up blue fire at europa park, and then stronger rumours they were actually getting a new launch coaster for 2013 but was pushed back to 2014 due to the smiler. to be perfectly honest, I can't see it being anything like blue fire, doubt it will even have any inversion, and probably a bland layout :o

is it not supposed to be a launch coaster (mack) over some of the lake... I heard rumours that they were eyeing up blue fire at europa park, and then stronger rumours they were actually getting a new launch coaster for 2013 but was pushed back to 2014 due to the smiler. to be perfectly honest, I can't see it being anything like blue fire, doubt it will even have any inversion, and probably a bland layout :o

I did hear something similair only with the ghastly notion of a dueling launched coaster of hot wheels IP :unsure:

I do think they do, just incase a person, wants to protest against it, if its not to their liking or infringes their human rights ( like the Ropers GRRRR). Every Merlin ride plan submitted has been made public so I would say yes again. :D

Can depend on things like general development orders, where projects of a certain size in a certain location do not need individual permissions. Not sure if Drayton are covered by any of these, but it would be unlikely to cover something of a size that we'd consider a major ride anyway, and Drayton do have noise pollution issues they would need to cover, so we should see plans if a worthwhile coaster is coming.

surely something would have been submitted by now if they were planning to have a new coaster for next year...

has anyone noticed there is a reasonably large area of space by apocalypse, the buffalo coaster & the lake? would that be the location for a new coaster?

something I would love to see at drayton, would be to see the buffalo coaster replaced by a more up to date family coaster, with a slightly longer layout and possibly a bit more height; would also think that an Intamin ZacSpin (small design) coaster would fit perfectly at drayton manor, as it's unique to the UK, and has a pretty small footprint which is also ideal for them. If this were to be situated in the area I mentioned above, there should still be space for another family/thrilling flat or two for in the future?

If Drayton does have a General Development Order on certain areas, we could see some form of major ride. Unless I'm mistaken, Smiler's site was covered by a GDO and hence all they actually needed to apply for was the buildings and theming, and the highest points of the ride.

Would've thought by now there'd be some form of work visible for a major coaster, unless they're planning not to open at the begin of the season? I guess time will tell..!

• 1 month later...

After a surprisingly quiet visit to drayton manor... a few observations, the vekoma mad house ride section of the haunting wasn't working properly and spent most of the ride stationary, g force now has a capital fm sponsorship and is playing their radio station in the queue line (while it doesn't add to the atmosphere makes the wait less boring) and never realised it only ran on one train, I really want to know why the drunken barrels ride doesn't tilt up in the air anymore, half the targets don't work and the guns reset on the golden nugget ride, pirate adventure as good as it is theme wise it is just such a boring ride and has so much more potential. And the whole park in general needs a bit of a cleanup, and is a lot more feasible as it's such a small park - there is so much graffiti and dust inside g force, apocalypse just looks a state, the flooring of the queue line of storm force 10 is really uneven and not even intentionally... I know they're not going to be as good as alton towers and merlin with the small park and lack of rides in comparison, but things like effects not working and places looking in such a state for a small park seems such a bigger problem and would be a lot easier to put right than a big park, shame to see such little upkeep of the park!

• 1 month later...

Some sad news from Drayton Manor today:

Today is a very sad day here at Drayton Manor. Our park’s founder and owner, Mr George Bryan OBE, passed away peacefully this morning at home.

Mr Bryan, aged 92, inspired all he met with his passion and dedication to the tourism industry and the park wouldn’t be what it is today without him and his wife, Vera.

The park will continue to be family owned and run by his children and grandchildren. Please can we ask that you respect the family’s privacy at this sad time.

Source: Drayton Manor Facebook page.

• 3 weeks later...