Drayton Manor

rollerross11

There are probably worse things in the World than getting stuck on GForce, I just can't think of any at this current moment.

After doing a bit of a Hex post "TLC" review, I think it's time to do one for the "new" Haunting. I don't know exactly when these changes were made as I try my best to not visit Drayton Manor more than once ever 2 years. I was very disappointed with these changes however and here's why.

I really enjoyed the old Haunting, I know that the old Haunting was in itself a refurb of the original attraction but I digress, the last iteration of the Haunting was good fashioned cheesy stupid fun. From the preshow video featuring what I always assumed was the man from the Crystal Maze (would you start the fans, PLEASE!), the hilarious ghost corridor were no one reacted, the priest vampire animatronic who talked for hours while the floor bounced and the background music drowned the poor bloke out and the bats(I think?) escaping the crypt at the end of the ride section. It was completely stupid but I loved it.

The new Haunting however, the new pre show video is a man pretty much implying the whole thing might or might not be just a hoax, the whole thing feels really cheaply done too, the old pre show was so over the top. The pre show room that used to feature the amazing vampire bloke, now just uses a very repetitive, generic and probably royalty free halloween song, while some projected ghosts float about the room and a man's face appears infront of you no less than 3 times saying pretty much the same thing each time, rubbish. The ride section has yet more projected ghosts during it and the hilarious bats(weren't they?) that escape the crypt are no more. To further disappoint me, just before the gift shop, you now have the chance to decide whether what you just experienced was a real haunting or a hoax, but pressing 2 huge stupid buttons.

I really wished they would have left it alone, I want to say maybe kids might enjoy this new version more but I really don't think they will. It's all too sterile, heartless and lacks the silliness of the original. Oh well, one less reason to want to visit Drayton Manor is always a good thing I suppose!

I think Drayton Manor needs a kick up the ar** soon.

When comparing to the rest of the UK Park's- Drayton Manor hasn't really been investing recently..

Now in this I mean Paultons is heavily on the rise, BPB is investing in a superb looking Mack Launch, and the Merlin Parks obviously get decent-ish investments yearly.

But Drayton Manor kinda just seems to be rotting recently..

Okay they have a pretty cool flat collection, but their coaster lineup is flaming garbage from when I last went a while back..

Thomas is really the only thing the park has going for it right now..

1 hour ago, JoshuaA said:

When comparing to the rest of the UK Park's- Drayton Manor hasn't really been investing recently..

Now in this I mean Paultons is heavily on the rise, BPB is investing in a superb looking Mack Launch, and the Merlin Parks obviously get decent-ish investments yearly.

Okay, here we go.

Drayton Manor invested on the rebound of Thomas Land, with a second and a third investment into Thomas Land. Considering where the park was prior to Thomas, and where it stood when it launched Thomas; it's a no-brainer to bring more Thomas to the people. The area was (I believe) the smallest offering in comparison to Nickelodeon Land and Peppa Pig World in terms of attraction numbers; and unlike the latter two, it didn't have the backing rides within the main park to support the small Thomas area. The fact they've gone on with two expansions and groundwork for further expansion in the view of business is a strong move; as that is really bringing the people in for Drayton at the moment. You're also forgetting that Ben 10 came about along with a complete overhaul of the Haunting within this time. I'm sure something will come for the main park when it's the right time; but with everything else going on lately, the park seems happy to just 'tick over'. And lets face it they like to pull out interesting attractions (I.e. Shockwave, Stormforce 10, Maelstrom and Apocalypse in their own right, Ben 10 etc.) so I think to say they're not investing is BS. Just because they're not adding something that specifically appeals to you, does not mean they're not investing.

Paultons is heavily on the rise. And again, much like DMP a lot is thanks to Peppa putting them on the map and bringing people in. Even now with Lost Kingdom (clap clap clap for Paultons) you can go on any given day and find a damn sight more people interested in Peppa Pig and only Peppa Pig over any other area. Thats just the way it is; and frankly I'm surprised they haven't done a DMP and expanded that out. But kudos to the park for their investment into other areas, including trying to bring in themes, two new fecking Vekoma's and a new entrance!

Blackpool.

MEH.

Maybe I'm biased having been born in Blackpool and growing up with the Pleasure Beach, and working on it three separate seasons etc. and now I just have no love for the place; whatsoever. I'm really glad to see the last couple of years how they've tried to improve, with repainting rides; and tidying the place up. Taking some chances with rides like Sky Force and so on; but I just don't feel hyped for Icon. It's a 40mph launch coaster. Yeah it's got loops and multiple launches; but; I can't help feel they should have looked for something even more out there - something more like Maverick (even if not made by Intamin) and not another launch coaster - especially one that's going to be the slowest in the UK. People slag off Rita for its speed. This is going to have as much momentum as a fart (Sorry Blackpool. Glad you're getting a new coaster after twelve years, if Infusion counts, but still; I don't think you got this one quite right).

The new coaster at BPB has been designed to entwine with other existing rides, and I think that is a very positive thing as it is the way BPB has always built. Not such a fast one, but with the closeness of other structures it will add an interesting effect.

DM has had so much success with Thomas, and there geographical location is ideal, they can only do well out of it.

17 hours ago, Flipper said:

It's a 40mph launch coaster. Yeah it's got loops and multiple launches; but; I can't help feel they should have looked for something even more out there - something more like Maverick (even if not made by Intamin) and not another launch coaster - especially one that's going to be the slowest in the UK. People slag off Rita for its speed. This is going to have as much momentum as a fart (Sorry Blackpool. Glad you're getting a new coaster after twelve years, if Infusion counts, but still; I don't think you got this one quite right).

It's also the longest.  Considerably.

Stealth and Rita are fun rides but are ultimately over in a matter of seconds, Icon is designed to be a full-length coaster with low-to-ground elements and the focus isn't really so much on the launches.  If you're looking for "the fastest launch" you'll be disappointed.  Personally I'm just happy we're getting such a long coaster with a great looking layout from a highly reputable manufacturer.

Back on topic, Drayton is a great park but they do need another major coaster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I’ve never been to Drayton and thinking of going next week just wondering how busy the park gets?? I have two kids one just over 1.2m and the other has just reached the magical 1.4 but just wondering if the queues are as bad as the Merlin parks, thanks in advance

Brilliant choice for a family, with a greater number of rides and attractions available to those under 1.4m, and with loads of other entertainment. The zoo is well managed and is a nice side distraction, plenty of eateries though the car park is only a short walk away (parking is free).

The queues are not horrendous and tidier than some of the larger parks, but there is plenty to entertain.

List of height requirements here https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/rides-and-attractions/rides/ride-height-restrictions

Have a great time.

• 1 month later...

I was there on Sunday and the explanation as to G-Force is that it is now the only one of that manufacturer that exists; the carts have been damaged due to a fault and the cost to repair by that manufacturer is very very high. With other matters still pending, the Park have to wait to decide on the future of G-Force.

The success of Thomasland and other entertainments for the younger crowd may be the factor as to the future direction of the Park, and perhaps the future retention of G-Force.

So after seeing a video by our lord and savior aka Shawn Sanbrooke- its official..

I think its gonna be a big loss for the park in their thrill lineup, also from memory G Force is one of the main things you see when entering the park so its going to be weird with it not being there..

I do understand its removal though, it seemed to be a maintenance nightmare and Drayton probably aren't in the financial position to pay for the upkeep.

I think the park perhaps might completely focus on the family market I guess, Thomas seems to draw in the crowds just fine so I guess perhaps G force won't be too bad of a loss? It was a pretty awkward ride anyway. I remember it being incredibly painful.

10 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

Can I just say I feel very proud that Lord Sanbrooke is catching on. :D

Wish he'd learn how to edit though. I watched his Magic Kingdom vlog last night. Had to endure 5 minutes of him talking about milk, coke, water and hydration and yet he edited the hell out of watching Happily Ever After. I was outraged.

It's a beautiful poetry for me personally. I first rode G Force on its opening year, didn't go back until this year which has turned out to be it's last year. I won't miss it.

56 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

Wish he'd learn how to edit though. I watched his Magic Kingdom vlog last night. Had to endure 5 minutes of him talking about milk, coke, water and hydration and yet he edited the hell out of watching Happily Ever After. I was outraged.

It's a beautiful poetry for me personally. I first rode G Force on its opening year, didn't go back until this year which has turned out to be it's last year. I won't miss it.

It was an unusual ride, those hip restraints and that slow upside down climb, but I liked it.

• 4 months later...

It saddens me to see yet another U.K. park going through decline, with the exception of their Thomas Land ( which is clearly the park’s life support machine). 

G Force wasn’t the best ride in any form, but for a park like Drayton it was still important. Also not forgetting they’ve removed their big wheel, Skyride and Excalibur attractions whilst Pirate Adventure remains closed (most likely permanently).

I wish the park could (and would) invest in something like Lech, Lost Gravity or Kentucky Flyer. However it’s pretty clear they probably don’t have the money and will no doubt get fined for the dreadful accident two years ago!

If they ever receive anything new agsin, there’s a 99% chance it’ll be in Thomas Land anyway.

It saddens me to but sadly there's been no thrill investments for a long time so the park has been really limiting its audience with all the latest additions being (formerly) ben 10 coaster and Thomas attractions, I have fond memories of visiting the park but it's offering just isn't there anymore, pirates was a great ride such a shame to think it's there just rotting, sad to see G-force go even though it was a maintenance pain and the sad situation with the rapids also happening its not looking very good for the park.

I think your so right that unfortunately they just don't seem to have the money for the new thrill attraction they desperately need, it's a shame because we could really do with some actual competition to Merlin with it only being BPB or Merlin parks. 

To be fair, they did add the Air Race in 2014(?), and around that time they did seem to have their heads screwed on. Thomas Land was doing well for the park, they were hitting the first expansion of that, and still had a good balance.

Then things went downhill. Pirates died / they gave up with it. I imagine they were hit by people losing faith in theme parks after Smiler. Stormforce required lengthy work. The rapids incident happened. It's not gone very well for the park.

They clearly know Thomas works for them, so that's what they're focusing on as their USP. They won't die away, but they are on a downward spiral and not investing in non-Thomas attractions won't help them get out of it.

Some progress on the Splash Canyon death, no corporate manslaughter or gross negligence charges to be brought to the park:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47443195

Good news really, as if that had been the case we'd have seen another swathe of H&S implementations at the death of throughput... Especially on rides without restraints built in...

• 11 months later...

I hope that none of the rides and attractions at Drayton Mannor have been irreparably damaged ,by the flooding brought on by Storm Dennis. If Drayton Mannor had to demolish a ride or attraction it would be totally catastrophic. Flooding is the last thing that Drayton Mannor needed just as their recovering from the tragic Rapids accident of 2017.

I sincerely hope that Drayton Mannor can repair thier flood damage and reputation. I hope that Drayton can remain a tourist attraction for many years to come.