Drayton Manor

rollerross11

• 5 months later...

Drayton Manor has been sold to the Looping Group: https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/blog/drayton-manor-park-confirms-sale-to-looping-group/

The Looping Group own Pleasurewood Hills and West Midlands Safari Park in the UK, as well as parks abroad such as Bagatelle, Mer de Sable (France), Hellendoorn (Netherlands) and more.

The parks themselves are fine, but only see small investments.

I'd expect the company will be able to turn Drayton around - in the sense that they'll get them making profit again - but I don't expect we'll see anything major happen to the park.

Yep, only small investments really however they do intend this to be their flagship park so who knows it might get a bit more development than other parks in the chain, but yeah don't expect to see any huge coasters and expensive manufactures being used. 

As its part of pre pack administration I guess all the debts from before get wiped so may be easier to start making a profit.

Interestingly they've kept the original owner on as MD. 

10 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

Interestingly they've kept the original owner on as MD. 

Isn’t that standard usually? They always retain some in management roles whilst they “integrate” with the values of the parent company and then a year later part ways?

Good news for Drayton though.

Even if they make this their flagship park (a claim I'm wary of at this stage because that can very easily just be PR drivel), that doesn't mean much.

Bung in a second hand Vekoma Boomerang, put a new dark ride in the place of Pirates and put a kids ride in place of G Force and that sees them invest more than they've invested in any other of their parks. So it doesn't take much.

It's great the park isn't closing, but I don't expect this to change Drayton in any way.

22 minutes ago, Ringo said:

Isn’t that standard usually? They always retain some in management roles whilst they “integrate” with the values of the parent company and then a year later part ways?

Good news for Drayton though.

Maybe. Seems logical in that sense I guess.

Just glad it isn't another park going under anyway. 

In 2005, I was fortunate enough to attend an ECC meet up which featured a meal and talk with the Bryant family that owned Drayton and back then, their hopes were high. Hotels, big coaster investments the works. The years have't been kind to the park truth be told and I think when G Force closed, the early warning signs were there. It's somewhat of a shame that its come to this. Their heavy investment at the turn of the millennium with Apocalypse, Maelstrom, Stormforce 10 and G Force showed a park with intent but it never recovered from the Smiler's crash effect on the industry or the death on Splash Canyon.

Whilst it will never get that level of investment again, at least jobs have been saved and the park can continue to function.

On the positive side, at least the park has been saved from closure especially amidst one of the most challenging times in the attraction industry to date.

The Loopings group don’t appear to invest often in new attractions, but hopefully we might see some new attractions here given how many how shuttered over the years bar Thomas Land.

I'm very happy with the purchase as its saved a good park that needed help as they have had some real struggles in the last few years. 

From what I gather everyone is sceptical as they don't have the greatest track record for investment so only time will tell but hopefully this will mean some investment in rides is heading the parks way, they really need something new and to start replacing all the attractions that have been removed over the last few years having removed Excalibur and pirate adventure and g-storm being one of the parks only thrill offerings investment is sorely needed. 

• 4 months later...

Such a shame, 2020 has been such a horrific year especially for Drayton Manor. First the floods, then the (ongoing) pandemic/lockdowns and now this.

Not to mention going into administration and the “imminent” Splash canyon accident fine. Don’t think any other park has had it so hard.

Least no animals or anyone were hurt though.

• 3 months later...

Drayton Manor's investment is a retheme including the return of the Rapids: https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/adventure-cove

Adventure Cove looks like it will include the Rapids, Shockwave, Maelstrom, Air Race and Stormforce 10.

I also seem to recall that they quietly announce a Wave Swinger this year, so I wonder if that will also go into the area.

6 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Drayton Manor's investment is a retheme including the return of the Rapids: https://www.draytonmanor.co.uk/adventure-cove

Adventure Cove looks like it will include the Rapids, Shockwave, Maelstrom, Air Race and Stormforce 10.

I also seem to recall that they quietly announce a Wave Swinger this year, so I wonder if that will also go into the area.

I like this. Any investment in Drayton is good tbh, the park could do with some modern areas and some new rides.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:01 PM, jom222 said:

Thinking of going to Drayton Manor for the first time this summer as it will be somewhere different. Anyone got any tips or things to be aware of?

It's a pretty small park. if you don't get on Buffalo straight away then don't bother with it. Other stand out rides are Shockwave (best pun ever), Maelstrom and Apocalypse. If you have kids, then Thomas Land is a must. if you don't then at the very least go in to ride Troublesome Trucks and the Toby the tram's spinning flat ride.

it's far from being an all day park these days but it still has something worth doing.

2 hours ago, Benin said:

I too like to post random things on message boards without sufficient evidence. 

Ok? 

Latest vlog, at Drayton Shawn saying how they were going back to the park to film official POV's.

If your statements in terms of the channels behavior, just go back and watch the old vlogs or perhaps Twitter from last year seems to have a lot or perhaps the fact I was blacked for asking a question< something to hide perhaps.

It's just a shame the parks and Merlin included continue to support this man when there are in fact 100's of other excellent vloggers out there. But I guess all that matters is the views.

I mean I don't watch his vlogs or keep tabs on his every move so that was information I wouldn't have known without additional explanation.

Fully aware of all the stuff that came out last year. But posting vague comments without explanation as to why it is a problem doesn't really contribute to discussion when most of us aren't following the lives and times of numerous vloggers. 

Besides, filming POVs probably means in this regard that he has gone through the proper channels to film them. Rather than officially doing some for the park.

• 1 month later...

So despite being in no major rush to return after my first visit, five years later and I went back! 

Apocalypse was great aside from only 2/5 towers working. Will be criminal if this gets removed!

Adventure Cove area looks great and should be even better when everything there has opened. 

Park very busy and did have some kind of atmosphere for certain. 

Not sure when I’ll be back but it was a very mixed one. 

37BD2F97-3511-49BC-8B30-4A4363446158.thumb.jpeg.abb1cccd0699186852c4bc5487a15eed.jpeg47DA7DD8-29AC-459B-A313-BD0CEC94214E.thumb.jpeg.4145831eaf12ed5c26a4f92aa2ab54c3.jpeg
A076BAC5-DA5A-4312-B0C3-1D63A30FC8EE.thumb.jpeg.97a7b86f71946fcdff3fba30862a633b.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Went to Drayton on Friday, first time in years. Mainly visited as I wanted a session on apocalypse just in case it gets removed, with it being up for sale.

Had a really good day, with it being a weekday the crowds were mainly in Thomas land and the rest of the park was dead, didn't have to queue for anything the whole time I was there.

Adventure cove is a great addition to the park and I hope they continue with additions like this. The rapids were great, had a nice theme and some decent water effects. Best rapids in the UK in my opinion although that's not exactly hard to beat. 

The repaint of the Shockwave station looks great, and surprisingly enjoyed it. Didn't find it rough. Was on 1 train (don't even know if it runs 2) but obviously didn't need to be on 2 anyway. 

The haunting was great, didn't expect this to be as good as it was. Nice little dark ride. Shame its so hidden.

Apocalypse was just running 2 towers, sit down and stand up floorless. As far as I'm aware its only been running the 2 all season and the other towers look like they haven't been touched in months. Apocalypse and the Buffalo area is the only area that looks really run down and would love to see them develop this area, without removing apocalypse. 

Recommend visiting on weekdays at the moment if you're wanting to go down for the thrill rides. It is only open a couple weekdays a week but still very very quiet.