Drayton Manor

rollerross11

Most likely because of the incident on Splash Canyon at Drayton Manor, as these are both rapids rides from the same manufacturer.

Oh my just saw this on the news!
It's still unclear how the girl fell off though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horrible news, I hope the media don't give Drayton Manor a hard time over it. I'm sure they are devastated over the events today and did everything they could to save her. My thoughts go out to her family.

Also my deepest gratitude to the vigilant, swift acting staff at Drayton and Merlin parks whose job above all else is keeping us safe so our only worries are having a fun-filled day out, all season long. Stay vigilant, and keep giving people joy and excitement. Really, Thank You! :friends:

There are various sources claiming that the girl was standing, none of them appear to have been confirmed as yet.
The BBC article below claims a boy fell out a few years ago whilst standing or in another compromised position but was pulled out of the water by spectators. 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39867690

Personally, I can't see how someone could fall out of the rafts whilst being seated and holding onto the centre rail however the facts surrounding this particular incident are still not yet known.

Obviously this is an awful and tragic accident with, at the moment, nobody specifically at fault. I can understand why Merlin would shut their rapids attractions, even if it was proved that there is nothing wrong with the ride itself, as the public perception of these rides is going to be negative for at least the near future given the amount of coverage this is getting. 

EDIT

Not blaming anyone for this, its tragic and my thoughts are with those involved. Just commenting on facts surrounding the accident and the effect this may have on other parks

Edited by tomathy
Clarification, no malice intended

There has been no statement from anyone explaining the mechanics of how she came to he in the water.  While rider error is by far the most likely reason it is totally unacceptable to blame the deceased for their death at the moment. To do so is insensitive and crass in the extreme. 

No ride of this or any type is ever 100% safe, there are many things that may have gone wrong.

9 hours ago, Benin said:

And to provide a bit of media blackout too... Don't need the Mail sending some investigator in...

The Mirror also decided to run with that she attended a Muslim school or something... Lovely stuff...

Yep it was reported on Daily Mail that the young girl was a Muslim - not quite sure what religion has to do with the fact the poor kid has lost her life - journalists eh?

There was some teacher at my school yesterday who was trying to say that there were not as many H&S measures because it was a private Islamic school (I don't even think it was private). He compared it to a school trip from another religious private school where the students became stranded on a beach.

'At this [my] school, if we go on trips, you are given lots of health and safety briefs'

(Haha you think matey)

Idiot, thinks he can watch one news story and suss everything out. Just because you were in the police fifteen years ago doesn't mean you automatically become Sherlock Holmes. Show some respect.

5 hours ago, Whatever said:

There was some teacher at my school yesterday who was trying to say that there were not as many H&S measures because it was a private Islamic school (I don't even think it was private). He compared it to a school trip from another religious private school where the students became stranded on a beach.

'At this [my] school, if we go on trips, you are given lots of health and safety briefs'

(Haha you think matey)

Idiot, thinks he can watch one news story and suss everything out. Just because you were in the police fifteen years ago doesn't mean you automatically become Sherlock Holmes. Show some respect.

Jeez what an idiot teacher!  Whether private school or state school, whatever religion of the school I'm pretty sure health and safety procedures are similar - I'm no expert on this but I'm assuming schools do some sort of risk assessment things before any trips - that teacher sounds like an ignorant t@@t and shouldn't go saying bold statements like that - accidents happen and in this case it ended in tragedy - the teacher should probably keep his gob shut or think before he speaks 

People all over social media are up in arms about the fact that Rapids rides have no seatbelt on them but fail to grasp that, in the unlikely event that a boat was to tip over, if you are belted in, your survival chances are significantly lowered.  People are also brandishing these rides as dangerous which we know they aren't - what happened at Drayton was a terrible accident and one that cost a young girl her life - it's been reported that she stood up to switch seats with a friend, the boat hit a rock and she fell in the water - now I am in no way saying this child deserved to fall in but at that age they should have had a teacher/helper in the boat - from what I've read, this wasn't the case.  Kids don't fully understand the danger of some things - I took my niece and her friend on Rumba when she was the same age as the girl who sadly died and my niece moved to a different seat at one point thinking nothing of it so I had to tell her to stay in her seat unless she wanted to either fall in and either drown or get hit by another boat, or get a Royal boll&€ing from staff who watch the security cameras.  

Someone should have been in that boat with the young girl and her friends to prevent this accident from happening or at least try - but I can also imagine that what happened was very quick so who is to say that an adult could even prevent it?kids don't generally take notice of safety signs on rides and moving to get out of the way of water was probably a knee jerk reaction which ended in the worst way possible- no one should visit a theme park to never return again and I cannot begin to imagine the pain that her family are going through right now.  I also feel for the other kids in that boat that witnessed what happened and were ultimately helpless in being able to do anything.

• 1 month later...

Oh My God, the end of the world.............................

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/people-stranded-upside-down-stalled-10722564

how melodramatic, and with " many thrill rides including rapids and roller coasters remain closed" being rather misleading as when I was there three weeks ago, the Rapids, Shockwave and Storm Force10 were the only rides closed.

2 hours ago, Coaster said:

As much as I enjoy the G Force, I'm surprised the ride was allowed to be designed with an inverted lifthill for this very reason.  What if it E-stopped and couldn't be quickly reset?

There is a manual process for this, to quickly get the ride uninverted. However normal operations mean a e-stop sensor ext is normally quicker being reset from the control room