Drayton Manor

rollerross11

I've just read this on Screamscape:

Future Coaster Plans - Rumor - (11/12/12) According to a member of the RCCGB who toured Drayton Manor the other day, the park revealed to the group that their long term plans are to add a LIM launched coaster to the park next, followed by a wooden coaster as well. No timeline was given however.

A wooden coaster is just what Drayton needs. This will no doubt put the park up there with the other big names.

If they can afford one :ph34r: but seriously, Drayton is lacking horrible for investment for thrill seekers, or even a rollercoaster at that fact! At the risk of turning into just "an family theme park" if they want any hope of becoming a top UK park & rival Alton, they need to pull a finger out and make this rumours become true

If they can afford one :ph34r: but seriously, Drayton is lacking horrible for investment for thrill seekers, or even a rollercoaster at that fact! At the risk of turning into just "an family theme park" if they want any hope of becoming a top UK park & rival Alton, they need to pull a finger out and make this rumours become true

Exactly! Drayton are defeatist on the thrill seeker front, so cater for the next big thing - the family market. They desperately need another a coaster...and a decent one at that.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Drayton Manor Update for 2013.

Drayton Manor has revealed that they will be adding a new attraction to their hugely successful Thomas Land for 2013. The ride, which is still unknown is thought to open in summer 2013. The park will also be showing a fantastic new film, "A Fish Story". The musical film, about a fish named Deepo, takes you on a journey to the depths of the ocean, encountering many different sea creatures along the way, such as lively dolphins, stinging jellyfish, kind-hearted sharks and singing sea turtles.

They're going for rather safe bets. And I don't blame them, don't wanna take the wrong turn during economic downturn do ya?

I don't mind - Drayton needs to continue being for younger families. Ben10 is their best addition in a while. Keep adding stuff like that!

I'm pleased that Drayton have found a market base, but they also need to uphold their promise of being a family park which caters for all.

Something tells me we won't ever see that launched coaster over the lake.

Which it currently does and does well.

Does it need one though? It's not like they're actively removing the thrill rides.. they're still there, all working (apart from black revolver but that was nothing special).

I personally think their balance is perfect now. Just invest in more decent family attractions to remove the older ones, and refresh the thrill selection by painting them up and making them look new.

No. They were pre-dominantly a thrill-seeking style park late 90s.

I'm not so sure I can agree with that. They always had the family in mind, in that they had something for everyone - the thrill along with the child and family attractions. There was a short time when they went through a period adding attractions predominantly for thrill seekers (Rameses, Samurai, Rattlesnake maybe), but it seemed to me that that was to get it from a childrens park to a family park. Always had a big zoo emphasis, originally had the circus with kiddie attractions, always had central area around toadies and carousel just for the young ones and none of this was removed to make way for the thrills. Original backbone of park after the fist few years development were runaway train, dragon river, 5th dimension, Bubbleworks and Vampire, none of which would be considered anything above family attractions even if they are at the thrilling end of that.

As for Drayton, I wouldn't know how that developed as I first went about 8 years ago. What is comparable there to Chessington though is nothing has happened since then to attract me back. I'm sure what they've done is very good for who it is aimed at, but it's not for me. About time they added something thrilling for the big kids if you ask me. Like a woodie!

• 2 weeks later...

A picture of the 2013 map showing the new attractions on offer:

IMG_2304_zps1f716911.jpg

The park itself is looking as good as ever. There aren't nearly as many improvements as last year, although it's interesting to note that most of the effects and lighting were working on Pirate Adventure today. It looks like the floor has been painted in the Apocalypse station, too.

• 2 months later...

So, after two days at Alton Towers I thought I'd done all the rides I was going to get, but my very lovely and understanding girlfriend let us go to Drayton Manor on the way home today. It was my first ever trip there (been meaning to go for years), so I have quite a bit to say. Overall, this is an okay park, but it lacks quality all over and needs a signature attraction or two. Actually, I wouldn't mind if it was just a family park, but since half of it is taken up by somewhat underwhelming thrill rides (and it has a price which is approaching Thorpe/Alton), it kind of needs a bit more! That said, it's a nice looking park, and it's tiny size is a bonus as it feels a really nice place to be tucked around three sides of the lake. Also nice to be in a park this quiet - AT was, I suppose technically quiet, but nothing like this. For the few hours we were there we walked on everything. and real walk on - as in the ride was waiting for people to come down the queueline. Nice.

The two big coasters, Shockwave and G Force, are both, in fact, pretty tiny. Shockwave was a novelty for me as it's the first stand up I've been on - it adds a slight element of interest but this is in general a very bland coaster - basically three plain inversions in a row, all fun, but nothing memorable. G-Force I actually really enjoyed (I'm a bit of a Maurer Sohne lover). The vertical loop chain lift combined with only a lap bar really put the willies up me and is highly unpleasant, but I have to give it credit for scaring me. The rest of the ride is again short, but a lot of fun. This could have been a really good coaster with a bit more length.

Maelstrom is a fantastic flat ride, better than Vortex and a lot of fun. Apocalypse is not as good as Detonator, but I liked the theming. Pirate Adventure is such a disappointing ride - it has a lot of potential with massive sets and a good length, it's just weird going through at such a slow speed with barely anything going on. They need to keep that ride system and put more in there, it could be a real contender for best dark ride in the UK. The shooting thing was fun actually, a lot harder than Duel/Tomb Blaster and all the better for it - also great that things made noises/lights went out etc. when you hit them - adds another level to the masses of green and red lights Duel/TB where you have no idea what's actually going on.

Ben 10 is a great kids coaster. The queue is brilliant, and it is one of those mini coasters that has some genuine excitement that kids must lap up. We didn't do Stormforce as the weather was terrible and didn't want to get soaked before a 3 hour drive home, didn't look all that tbh. Splash Canyon was fun but we didn't get wet once apart from sprayers off ride. Does going on Troublesome Trucks count as credit whoring? Thomas Land is beautiful - if I was 5 I would have been in heaven - a great IP really well realised.

So yeah, apologies about this rambling semi-trip report. I found this quite a difficult park to categorise. It should be competing with other parks, since it has two big coasters, two decent water rides, a good collection of flats and a couple of dark rides, but it somehow just all feels a bit underwhelming. It;s confusing when it seems to bill itself as a big theme park, with its own hotel and events. Odd. I would be interested in coming back if they could build a genuinely impressive coaster with a clever use of a small footprint. Let's hope that comes next year.

Detonator felt much more forceful to me. And had the cool countdown at the top. To be fair, I only I'd the seated version, I think that was the only side running. So apocalypse probably has more to offer in terms I ride experiences, but on this like for like comparison I'd say detonator is the better ride.