Walibi Holland

Have an update from Walibi, highlighting the 270 double inverting corner stall (which I can't help by abbreviate to 270dics from now on...) in all its glory:

And one from RMC, showing some nice upsideness:

Still on track to open July 1st this is...

To me, it really serves home-made backyard coaster. They look like utter ****e but they are fun, can't deny. When they have versions is when they look particularly bad with the disgusting metal box supports but I guess it's necessary. Hope they find a way in the future to make them look more aesthetically pleasing because they're ugly as sin still.

I think some of the Six Flags ones look kinda bad like TC or Joker but I think besides those examples they look pretty fine.

Wildfire and Goliath actually look better aesthetically than some B&M's IMO, Goliath's stall under its lift hill looks amazing.

Remember too these things ride really well and are fairly cheap (Wildfire was no more than 9 Million)..

Latest Making of video:

Track is now finished (with a random ceremony including fire to celebrate, cos why not), with a train on the track ready for testing from June 1st.

It confirms the 4th (out of 5) inversions will be a 140 degree stall, and there will be a single rider queue.

• 2 weeks later...

So Mack and Walibi Holland have been doing drugs together it seems..

Screenshot_20190527-154245.jpg

Mack approached Walibi about turning Lost Gravity rows backwards, something the park were intrigued by. So far, they've turned the back row on 1 of the 4 trains backwards (the ride can only run 3 trains) and are testing it with staff.

It's not clear whether the park will ever open this to guests or if they're just trialling it on Mack's behalf.

There's no denying that Lost Gravity backwards would be a ton of fun though..

RMC to the rescue again by the look of it!! 

Now if Portaventura could be so kind to do likewise to Stampida, that would be very much appreciated!!

Back to Untamed. This looks very well paced, full of airtime, good transitions and some pretty interesting looking inversions particularly the first and last ones. Yes it doesn’t have the height and speed of the likes of Steel Vengeance and Zadra, but stats don’t mean a damn thing to me when it comes to what makes a coaster good.

Cannot wait to ride in October!!

Crazy how different they actually look from each other, almost like they are different rides. Untamed looks amazing. 

13 hours ago, Martin Doyle said:

Now if Portaventura could be so kind to do likewise to Stampida, that would be very much appreciated!!

Port Aventura should definitely get an RMC, but I’d prefer for it to be a stand alone one. Stampida just needs GCI Millennium Flyer trains.

15 hours ago, pluk said:

Designers need to stop slow adverse camber turns. It's not big, it's not clever, it's just weird.

Yes, 100%. It seems to be an almost RMC exclusive thing (only other rides off the top of my head I can think of that have such slow turns are S&S El Locos and Lost Gravity, though the latter is barely noticeable). But it just looks weird and uncomfortable when being done at such a slow pace, and will probably feel exactly the same whilst riding.

3 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Yes, 100%. It seems to be an almost RMC exclusive thing (only other rides off the top of my head I can think of that have such slow turns are S&S El Locos and Lost Gravity, though the latter is barely noticeable). But it just looks weird and uncomfortable when being done at such a slow pace, and will probably feel exactly the same whilst riding.

Even the might Wodan starts with one of the wretched things!

• 2 weeks later...

Let's talk Untamed then.

It's really bloody good fun. It's glass smooth, has loads of really good airtime, some quite floaty, some really aggressive, and the inversions are great. The second half in particular is full on and relentless. It's truly fantastic and I reckon anyone who goes on it will enjoy it, even if that type of ride isn't your thing.

What it did leave me wondering though, is: what is all the fuss about RMC? Yes, Untamed is fantastic, but this didn't feel like anything particularly groundbreaking? If you'd commissioned, say, Mack or Intamin to do this exactly same layout on a steel coaster, it'd feel exactly the same. There's nothing I saw our felt that made me think "wow, RMC are special" like half the enthusiast community seems to think. Obviously it's great they convert rubbish woodies to amazing rides, but that's it.

So yeah, Untamed is fab. I love it. And I'm looking forward to trying similar rides. But it hasn't made me think 'RMC are gods' or anything crazy.