Thailand and Cambodia

TPGG

Yo I'm off to Thailand and Cambodia this summer.

Since I feel like I can't go abroad without a cheeky theme park day or two I am wondering if anybody knows of any theme parks and water parks that are worth a visit in these countries.

Chaars

Have a look on rcdb by searching for Thailand and Cambodia - That should give you a list and their locations and an insight into whether they're worth visiting :)

Edit:  This sparked my interest having been to these countries and not seeing a single park even though as it turns out a few were right under my nose - Here's the Thai ones and here's the Cambodian ones 

Edit edit:  The Cambodian ones are all just parks with small fairground rides for families so I'd implore you to get drunk off street beer instead of wasting your time at one of these

For Thailand Siam Park City and Dream World are the most real parks out there.  In terms of good rides Dream World has an Vekoma/Arrow/Something swinging suspended coaster and some kind of indoor coaster, and Siam Park City has a standard Vekoma SLC and Boomerang.

Both Siam Park City and Dream World are good parks, and worth a visit if you're in Bangkok. Dream World is more a Disneyland, whereas Siam Park City is more a Six Flags. But the Thai versions, obviously...

In terms of coasters, it's a Vekoma affair across both - Siam Park City has, as Tommy says, an extended SLC (being extended only prolongs the pain) and a Boomerang (pretty good - made me grey out in the heat), and Dream World has a Swinging Turns (fun if sedate) and a Space-Mountain-esq themed indoor coaster (akin to Temple of the Night Hawk at Phantasialand). Siam Park City also benefits from having a water park attached to it, with a particularly intense speed slide into a not-quite-big-enough splash pool.

Of the two, I'd say Dream World is the better day out (it's better themed, and more popular with the locals), but Siam Park City has the bigger thrills.

And as for Cambodia, I didn't venture into any of the parks there. You may be tempted by Dream Land in Phenom Penh, but it's more fairground than theme park, and has potential safety concerns...

Brilliant! I'll try and convince my friend to go to both then!

Funny about the splash pool being too small. Btw is it safe for Brits to go to Thai Waterparks because you're told to avoid water that's not bottled, ice etc.

So basically, did you die after going to the waterpark? Also is the waterpark part of the same ticket as the amusement park?

Given that I'm still here writing this... erm, no I didn't die at the waterpark :blink:;)

It's chlorinated water like most water parks, so no worries. And yes, it's one entrance ticket for both the theme and water park. Websites are here and here for more info.

For both parks, your best bet is to jump in a taxi from central Bangkok. Taxi drivers tend to speak no English, so bring a map with you and be prepared to improvise! And it's usually a good idea to reject any taxi drivers that insist on a fixed rate for your journey: it's a common scam targetting western-looking tourists, where the fixed price they insist on is up to 50% higher than the metered journey...

Enjoy! They're both a fair bit different to your average Merlin outfit...