Virtual Reality on Rides

kinnaird

Could be interesting, but Imagine it'll a long time before this is seen in action, if ever. The kit shrinking will be the key, no one wants someone elses sweaty helmet on their face.

I'm old enough to remember the old VR headsets being hailed the future and being put in Pleasurewood Hills, they were not pleasant and a bit crap. No matter how good the tech gets people will always prefer a real experience over a virtual one, especially in the thrill market. I'm not too sure where they would end up going with this, I can see it being better in something like a museum environment, more than a theme park. 

Why does everyone wanna make rides all virtual and stuff?! There was a thing on a few years back and they were saying about making the rides fully computer controlled and if the riders were scared they'd slow it down which is slilly! The whole point of the big scary rides is to push yourself to ride them! Not for me thanks I'll happily stick to riding the actual coaster since you feel the wind in your face, the forces, the insane airtime you get on some rides! :)

Why does everyone wanna make rides all virtual and stuff?! There was a thing on a few years back and they were saying about making the rides fully computer controlled and if the riders were scared they'd slow it down which is slilly! The whole point of the big scary rides is to push yourself to ride them! Not for me thanks I'll happily stick to riding the actual coaster since you feel the wind in your face, the forces, the insane airtime you get on some rides! :)

I think your right! The feeling when you are looking down and all you can see is a bit of track and falling at 60 mph at the floor but I thick it would e quite fun to change to norm and would be fun to try it to see if it lives up.

Well it obviously won't. It'd be just like watching a POV, but a bit more 'trippy' if you will. Like pluk said it'd be more suited in a place like a museum than an actual theme park. The whole idea of virtually riding a ride when the real thing is about 100m that way seems a bit ridiculous and would be a complete waste of money for whatever park invests in it.

Although if you're happy to pay the sometimes extortionate entrance fees and then not even truly experience the park to use VR, that's your problem.

While I can see this would be an interesting one off experience I don't think it is the best use of this type of technology and certainly shouldn't be a permanent feature of an existing coaster.

Augmented reality has to be the way forward where things are added to the reality around you,rather than reality itself being replaced.

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection!

So, with 2016 seemingly being the year of VR, thought it might be interesting to keep more of a track on what's going on around the world virtually. At the very least, it could be an interesting thing to look back on in a few years time, and see either the development of the future of theme parks, or yet another passing fad in the industry.

Anyways, a list of coasters that have VR...

-Galactica, Alton Towers.

Samsung

The world's first fully dedicated virtual reality roller coaster. Free to use, but not compulsory. Opening 2016.

-Alpenexpress, Europa Park

Samsung, VR Coaster

Buy a ticket to use VR headset at a cost of 2 euros. Opened 2015.

-Pegasus, Europa Park

Samsung, VR Coaster

Buy a ticket to use VR headset at a cost of 2 euros. Opening 2016.

-Kyary Pamyu Pamyu XR Ride, Universal Studios Japan

VR Coaster

Opening 2016.

-Dinolino’s VR-Ride, Erlebnispark Schloss Thurn, Germany

VR Coaster

Free to use. Opening 2016.

-Revolution, Bobbejaanland

Samsung

Planned to operate so that it's only VR for part of the day, and no VR for the other part of the day, since the VR stuff will be quite scary apparently. Free to use. Opening 2016.

And of course, there's non-coasters using VR too, namely...

-Derren Brown's Ghost Train, Thorpe Park

HTC Vive.

Free to use. Presumably compulsory. Opening 2016.

And, for all you trivia geeks out there, there has already been a full dedicated, compulsory VR coaster in the world before. Unfortunately it closed about 12 years ago and was apparently a bit naff... http://rcdb.com/1901.htm

So (as far as I know), whilst VR has popped up in a few places, only one place seems to have bitten the bullet and gone for a ride where it's compulsory for you to wear VR goggles, and indeed where it's seemingly been designed with VR in mind to some degree. So it's still a slow roll out at the moment. But it will be interesting to see whether this does pick up more within the industry, and indeed how the masses respond to it.

Six Flags Announces "Virtual Reality" roller coasters at 9 US parks:
- Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas
- Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia
- The New Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis
- Steamin’ Demon at The Great Escape
- Goliath at La Ronde
- SUPERMAN Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- SUPERMAN The Ride at Six Flags New England
- SUPERMAN Ride of Steel at Six Flags America

Credit TPR