Logger's Leap

Garyy

Tussauds is Merlin but with new top level management. So passing blame is a bit aimless. Hey it was nice the ride lasted operating this long without investment in longevity.

Look at recent history and you'll see this isn't anything that's not happened before. Loggers would never have been operating 'unsafely' but I doubt anyone actually believes it was, it's a complex situation that probably isn't localised to Loggers.

Yes almost all rides at UK Tussauds parks were shockingly looked after, so again this kind of procedure isn't anything new.

Take one look at the state of the ride, then tell me that it's been maintained well.  It's not hard to see that it has been neglected awfully, as is also the case with Rumba and several other rides owned by Merlin Entertainments (although I'm not saying they are the only ones, several other parks let rides get into a state as well but this topic is about Loggers, hence why it's being discussed).

On the subject of Loggers, does anyone know why there are gaps in the anti-rollbacks on the main lifthill?

Take one look at the state of your posting. It's not hard to see that you have a vendetta against Thorpe. 

I think a lot of the most recent discussion has seen a lot of blurring between 'the ride hardware' and 'the ride'.

In terms of ride hardware, I assume that is 26 years old and is naturally reaching the end of its life.  However, there should - hopefully! - be no doubt in anyone's mind that it has been safe to use, and let guests ride.  From that perspective, Loggers Leap is well-maintained.  This is what I was trying to get at earlier when talking about comparisons to Europa's log flume; it will surely be easier, financially viable and commercially sensible for Europa to upgrade, update and maximise the ride hardware than it would be for Thorpe.  

However, the ride itself is less well-maintained.  From things like tunnel-gate, the station building, the smell, etc., these are not so good.  It's easy to say that, from that perspective, Loggers has not been maintained to the standard it should be.  

If what others have suggested is true and the other Merlin parks are closing their log flumes, it'll be interesting to see what their reasons are.

That's if Dragon Falls is still operating next year...

I think a lot of the most recent discussion has seen a lot of blurring between 'the ride hardware' and 'the ride'. 

If what others have suggested is true and the other Merlin parks are closing their log flumes, it'll be interesting to see what their reasons are.

u6vrf.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Looks like we may be in for some serious Merlin bashing times in 2016.

I don't understand why people are complaining about it being closed for maintenance and complaining that it isn't maintained at the same time. Surely we should be happy that it's getting the TLC it deserves? Rather than come up with speculatory bull**** why don't we just assume that merlin knows what is best for the ride.

The flume closure this year was probably for money saving reasons, as the park was expected to be generally quieter after the smiler incident for the rest of the season. I still fully expect it to be open in 2016, although I highly doubt the flume will get refurbished as the ride is so old and the layout is pretty rubbish and is just length for the sake of it - I'd like to see it replaced with a pirate (mutiny bay) log flume or watercoaster style ride... and potentially blade (as that's unlikely to be open in 2016) moved to the lake next to the flume.

As for loggers leap, I do hope they keep the canadian theme if they do remove (and hopefully replace) loggers... but removing a log flume which is a signature family attraction at theme parks is a very silly move. Lets hope they can cope in 2016 (and more to the point bring it back in 2017), and storm surge somehow becomes reliable, and tidal wave doesn't have it's few week breakdown/closure in the summer... I'd like to think rumba gets some attention over winter to make up for the loss of loggers... but........  -_-

Two reasons. Firstly, it's heavily rumoured to be leaving the park rather than having a refurb. Secondly, would maintenence really take a year and two closed seasons?

Heavily rumored on this site yes, but like that means anything. And to answer your rhetorical question, I'm not an expert on log flumes and don't know the exact state of loggers leap so can't answer that (neither can anyone else on this forum AFAIK).

The flume closure this year was probably for money saving reasons, as the park was expected to be generally quieter after the smiler incident for the rest of the season. I still fully expect it to be open in 2016.

Better not get too excited, as it WILL be closed too (unless Merlin see sense over all this).

Two reasons. Firstly, it's heavily rumoured to be leaving the park rather than having a refurb. Secondly, would maintenence really take a year and two closed seasons?

I've heard of a lot of 'heavy rumours' over the past few years that really haven't happened. In all honesty it just looks like you're jumping the gun in an attempt to find something to say is not quite right (read [in a shouty voice]: absolutely disgraceful) within Thorpe/Merlin's operations. 

Also, I've been simply glancing through this topic and have very much understood that the park likely don't have a clue what they're doing themselves, as pluk and I believe electricBill have pointed it. So for you to have seemingly missed that point, or chosen to ignore it, it rather odd. 

The closure of Logger's isn't great and I'm sure we all don't want to see it as much as you, but from one moaner to another, this is coming across as a little bit silly.

Interestingly, this tweet appeared on Thorpe's favourite theming company Scruffy Dog Ltd's twitter: 

Now although we have no way of knowing, but it seems very likely they would be new theming for The Flume at Alton Towers (that or it is a tiny truck and Bubbleworks is getting a couple of new ducks), which would mean Merlin aren't scrapping their log flumes. So hopefully Logger's Leap going is a miscommunication, and it is actually getting an extensive rebuild that would justify the 14 month closure.

I have done some research:

Logger's Leap is confirmed closed in 2016.

Heide-Park forum is discussing the "rumoured removal" of their Log Flume this winter.

Alton Towers' Flume was closed for the last 3 weeks of the season and is now understood to be going entirely.

As for Chessington?

This seems a Merlin-wide thing.

I'm pretty sure someone's already said that all Mack Merlin flumes are closing...

It's a shame, but if we're honest, the only real casualty here is Loggers. Falls and The Flume are in no fit state to go on at all and they're a total embarrassment to the parks they're in. As for the Heide flume, wasn't everyone saying it was naff anyway?

Small side note - Dragon Falls may still be around next year. It had a big refurbishment last winter, so chances are they're not so concerned about that one.

Poor Maintenance?

As much as I'm sure some people would get pleasure from that being the case I'd find it very unlikely that suddenly every Merlin flume is unable to open due to poor maintenance the same year.

There's obviously something much deeper here behind their decision to close them