Logger's Leap

Garyy

On 4/14/2017 at 10:03 PM, Marc said:

If scaffolding had been put up that would mean a lot!

That said I'm sure that platforms veen there for a long time!

Either that or it's just from the ORP camera? Could be wrong and also thinking of Thirteen here when I say that but yeah I see your point. :)

That metal work has always been there. Its part of the on ride photo system and I believe it hosts a sensor for the ride? 

However.... I don't see the ride ever reopening! Its in a right old state. They could probably build a whole new log flume for the price of fixing it up. *cough cough* a new rollercoaster would be nice... 

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-13.jpeg

More on here if anyone wants to see them

http://www.themeparkguide.biz/news/news-thorpe-park/logger-leap-gone-or-returning

Yes, Dragon Falls is a good example. They've done various H&S upgrades as required but as they've removed theming elements for this, they've not replaced them. So although there is a what I am trusting Merlin is now a completely within spec log flume, it's all at the expense of any real guest experience & as a result, Dragon Falls is now just a generic Log Flume with the only real theming being remnants of what was set up in 1987. 

I've always assumed that both Loggers & The Flume require the same work as Dragon Falls (Corroded Metal Replaced, Evac Platforms throughout) and it's just that they're not budgeting for it (though it makes sense with the Flume as it was removed). They could just be deciding & budgeting for the future of the Loggers Leap site at the moment which is why they have put it to one side rather than carrying out whatever it requires to continue to run.

There seems to be many comments on social media and Trip adviser how run down Thorpe Park is looking this year. Loggers is still clearly visible to park guests and it really does not paint a pretty picture of the place. Merlin's  lack of maintenance to its rides is pretty bad and if this is what its like on the public side its pretty concerning what its like behind the scenes.

Give it a few years and Thorpe could be become the new Camelot.

• 1 month later...

Thorpe are 'heartbroken' about closing a ride that could have easily been repared/improved/maintained?

Whatever its replacement will be, better be good - and that's not a second hand children's flat ride with blue fences, Thorpe.

(a second hand children's flat ride with with any other colour fences however, would be sufficient ;))

On 2017-6-10 at 3:45 PM, Coaster said:

"Redevelopment"

:lol:

redevelopment
riːdɪˈvɛləpmənt/
noun
  1. the action or process of developing something again or differently.
    "the redevelopment of the university website"
    • construction of new buildings in an urban area, typically after demolishing the existing buildings.
      "the town is undergoing significant redevelopment"

So, so long as something happens to the spot in the future, the are have been redeveloped.  Behind the scenes planning counts as redevelopment.  

1 hour ago, BaronC. said:

redevelopment
riːdɪˈvɛləpmənt/
noun

1. the action or process of developing something again or differently.
    "the redevelopment of the university website"
    • construction of new buildings in an urban area, typically after demolishing the existing buildings.
      "the town is undergoing significant redevelopment"

So, so long as something happens to the spot in the future, the are have been redeveloped.  Behind the scenes planning counts as redevelopment.  

It doesn't say "leaving a structure to rot for two years" though does it?

Also the first time Thorpe announced it was due to be closed throughout 2016, it was for "maintenance."

On 6/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, Coaster said:

It doesn't say "leaving a structure to rot for two years" though does it?

Also the first time Thorpe announced it was due to be closed throughout 2016, it was for "maintenance."

As Baron said - Behind the scenes planning is just as much as part of redeveloping something as the construction work its self. 

I know you like the "left to rot" statement - but if loggers needs X amount of £ to remain operational, but the park had plans for that area in the near future, why waste the money on keeping a ride going what has no long term future? Its not like they are short of water rides. 

3 hours ago, Marc said:

if loggers needs X amount of £ to remain operational, but the park had plans for that area in the near future, why waste the money on keeping a ride going what has no long term future? Its not like they are short of water rides. 

This is where the attitude is totally wrong with them. Keeping Loggers open is not a "waste of money", because millions of people would have ridden it in the years that it's been SBNO. Millions of people riding it means the ride is doing its job, it was one of the most popular rides on park.

It's only a waste of money to them, even though Merlin can easily afford it, because they can't get a buck off rebranding it and calling it "new" in doing so. And so they didn't grant the budget to Thorpe.

And the park are short on a decent, staple family water ride, Rumba is poor and Tidal Wave unrideable most the year - Loggers was one of the best water rides in the country. I know I've felt a loss of "fun stuff to do" while on park.

The truth is that Loggers' "redevelopment" only began after it HAD to be shut because they didn't want to pay to continue its operation. They have had plenty of time to make plans if this were any kind of planned closure, or the site was suited to redevelopment and Loggers had become unpopular.

I think the ride will now just stay dormant like Black Hole did, which faced exactly the same situation in 2005 - "reached the end of its life", yet mysteriously the ride still runs absolutely fine in another park... Odd what happens when you spend a bit of money. Sure, it would have been better value replacing it, if a replacement indoor coaster had been in the pipeline - but instead it just sat there for years as 'development space'.

The denial on here about Loggers has been ongoing for years now. I said it would never reopen from the start and nobody wanted to believe it - I didn't want to either, but you got to see the reality of these things sometimes . Merlin want you to believe everything you say, even if the park offering gets continually worse.

1 hour ago, Wumbamillio said:

This is where the attitude is totally wrong with them. Keeping Loggers open is not a "waste of money", because millions of people would have ridden it in the years that it's been SBNO. Millions of people riding it means the ride is doing its job, it was one of the most popular rides on park.

It's only a waste of money to them, even though Merlin can easily afford it, because they can't get a buck off rebranding it and calling it "new" in doing so. And so they didn't grant the budget to Thorpe.

And the park are short on a decent, staple family water ride, Rumba is poor and Tidal Wave unrideable most the year - Loggers was one of the best water rides in the country. I know I've felt a loss of "fun stuff to do" while on park.

Loggers was probably my favorite water ride on park too - but i've no doubt its popularity had dropped of over its final years in the park - rarely would you see it gain much of a queue over 20 minutes where as "back in the day" it would attract huge queues. I disagree it was one of the most popular rides on park in its latter years.

The truth is that Loggers' "redevelopment" only began after it HAD to be shut because they didn't want to pay to continue its operation. They have had plenty of time to make plans if this were any kind of planned closure, or the site was suited to redevelopment and Loggers had become unpopular.

I think the ride will now just stay dormant like Black Hole did, which faced exactly the same situation in 2005 - "reached the end of its life", yet mysteriously the ride still runs absolutely fine in another park... Odd what happens when you spend a bit of money. Sure, it would have been better value replacing it, if a replacement indoor coaster had been in the pipeline - but instead it just sat there for years as 'development space'.

The denial on here about Loggers has been ongoing for years now. I said it would never reopen from the start and nobody wanted to believe it - I didn't want to either, but you got to see the reality of these things sometimes . Merlin want you to believe everything you say, even if the park offering gets continually worse.

That maybe true - but its just like taking your car to the garage - if they tell you your 20 year old car needs this much spent on it - at that point you decide if its worth the investment or if its time to bite the bullet and make a change - this is obviously a much bigger scale of that. It wasnt long ago Loggers had alot of work done to its support structure and foundations on the main drop - im sure they had an idea of how long the ride would operate and what up-coming work was needed.

As for Black Hole - it probably is a similar situation - but Towers had got the use out of The Black Hole what they wanted and made the choice to instead invest elsewhere - the same year opening Rita and then numerous installations since then- sure they could have no doubt kept the Black Hole open if they had wanted, but the powers that be decided it didn't wasn't worth the investment