Logger's Leap

Garyy

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Theme park Fanantic said:

I think that Thorpe will try to reopen Loggers in time for this coming season after all the main director wants to! Does anyone ageee with this or have any idea or have herd any rumours regarding this much loved classic?

Next year will be the third season shut for development / redevelopment and the guy from Merlin Magic Making said it takes 4 years for something from start to finish to open (when asked about Slammers replacement) so it’s looking unlikely for it to open next year.

2 hours ago, Ringo said:

Next year will be the third season shut for development / redevelopment and the guy from Merlin Magic Making said it takes 4 years for something from start to finish to open (when asked about Slammers replacement) so it’s looking unlikely for it to open next year.

I think the 4 years was more a starting from sort of job (though that is the time of the investment cycle so maybe it could relate to how long it takes)  I could see loggers return but it will take a fair bit of work.  

The work would require a bit more than replace some parts.  its hit the point where the majority of the ride would need replacing or upgrading due to H&S, wear and tear and materials degrading.

Still I hold out hope, be quite awkward to build anything else on the land anyway due to the lake

2 hours ago, Ringo said:

the guy from Merlin Magic Making said it takes 4 years for something from start to finish to open (when asked about Slammers replacement) so it’s looking unlikely for it to open next year.

That's the average time for a major new development from scratch, including a year or two of research & development, not for reopening an old ride that was known to be in a poor state and needing alterations/repairs for a long time. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

*lack of work/attention/consideration (etc. etc. etc.) altogether. Think we'll just end the suggestions there. ;)

Anyway, it's quite obvious Loggers has had this coming really. Ever since its closure, it's just been sat there rotting away as if it was just meant to be forgotten. Sure it's an old ride, and if the news of its removal is true, then good. At the end of the day it means something new is taking its place in the near future...which is hopefully another, more up to date water ride.

Shame Merlin have the tendency to leave any rides to rot that are at least a decade old though...hence Colossus not getting the repaint it deserves... :rolleyes:

I think it comes as no surprise that Loggers will never operate again, as sad this may have been. 

Loggers Leap was a popular water attraction with visitors of all ages, including families and thrill seekers (wanting a break from the white knuckle rides). The wetness level was spot. The ride was also an iconic for the late Princess Diana, who enjoyed the attraction during her visit to Thorpe in mid nineties. 

Despite it’s significant position in the park, the ride unfortunately wasn’t looked after in it’s later years, as it was starting to look neglected. The surprise drop in the dark was removed in 2013 due to the roof being regarded unsafe. Three years later, the ride suddenly closed under the vague guise of ‘redevelopment’. 

The ride remains closed likely down to neglect and the requirements of a safety upgrade. It is believed Park management would like for the ride to reopen in the future (through a rigorous upgrade and refurbishment). Unfortunately however Merlin have likely not given the park any/enough budget to realistically carry this out, which is a great shame to witness. 

The park should’ve really been given the money to keep the ride operating in safe and reliable manner, although they have chosen not to. Unfortunately Loggers follows the fate of other such atttactions, Black Hole and Pirate Adventure. Where they remain standing for years to come until demolition.

Can we please stop banging on about bpb and the Mouse. Just like loggers it was evidently closed for health and safety reasons. Also like loggers neither had any chance of reopening once it closed so it might as well be torn down. 

Loggers is typical Merlin were they don't see any value in reopening it. I'm just thankful they didn't stick a dated or inappropriate IP on it with a load of actors to reopen it. 

I'd rather we didn't have to hear the tired "it's under redevelopment" schtick for 2 years. I recall during a 2016 Behind the Scenes tour our guide said that it may reopen if it found a sponsor, which it seems clear it didn't.

It's a shame as I loved the ride. Thorpe needs more moderate thrills and things to do after lunch.