Logger's Leap

Garyy

On 6/13/2018 at 2:41 PM, Project LC said:

Can we please stop banging on about bpb and the Mouse. Just like loggers it was evidently closed for health and safety reasons. Also like loggers neither had any chance of reopening once it closed so it might as well be torn down. 

Loggers is typical Merlin were they don't see any value in reopening it. I'm just thankful they didn't stick a dated or inappropriate IP on it with a load of actors to reopen it. 

Insurance, actually.

5 hours ago, Coaster said:

Insurance, actually.

Yeah no one would give it insurance due to health and safety concerns. The risk associated with the ride was not worth the pay off for the insurer. Admittedly there would be other things that increase the risk with the ride but health and safety would have been the biggest one.

10 hours ago, Project LC said:

Yeah no one would give it insurance due to health and safety concerns. The risk associated with the ride was not worth the pay off for the insurer. Admittedly there would be other things that increase the risk with the ride but health and safety would have been the biggest one.

Yeah, sad thing is it was due to guest actions rather than any issue with the ride itself.  Gutting for people like myself who had been enjoying it (safely) for years.

I probably do bring it up too much, but it's been a favourite of mine since I first rode about 10 + years ago!

If a ride is in a position where there's a high risk that guests can injure themselves through their own actions, then that's an issue with the ride itself which needs addressing.

For a (slightly OTT) analogy - if a car exploded every time it went above 80mph, you wouldn't say "well it's the driver's fault because the national speed limit is 70, so they should never hit 80". You'd get the issue resolved, or if it can't be resolved, stop people using the car.

10 hours ago, BaronC. said:

If a ride is in a position where there's a high risk that guests can injure themselves through their own actions, then that's an issue with the ride itself which needs addressing.

For a (slightly OTT) analogy - if a car exploded every time it went above 80mph, you wouldn't say "well it's the driver's fault because the national speed limit is 70, so they should never hit 80". You'd get the issue resolved, or if it can't be resolved, stop people using the car.

But if all ride rules and restrictions (clearly displayed on the entrance boards) were followed, you couldn't injure yourself.

39 minutes ago, Coaster said:

But if all ride rules and restrictions (clearly displayed on the entrance boards) were followed, you couldn't injure yourself.

Having not ridden it, or seen the restrictions, I can't be sure exactly, but I'll throw this out there...

What ride restrictions do you mean exactly? 'Hold on tight and brace yourself', 'Sit back', 'Put your head in this position'? Or were there very specific rules?

If it's a simple instruction like hold on tight, how can a park truly enforce then, when most people will put their hands up, etc? If it's a very weirdly specific rule, then that says to me something isn't right!

5 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Having not ridden it, or seen the restrictions, I can't be sure exactly, but I'll throw this out there...

What ride restrictions do you mean exactly? 'Hold on tight and brace yourself', 'Sit back', 'Put your head in this position'? Or were there very specific rules?

If it's a simple instruction like hold on tight, how can a park truly enforce then, when most people will put their hands up, etc? If it's a very weirdly specific rule, then that says to me something isn't right!

"Do not unfasten your seatbelt" to start with, was on a huge sign which was in front of you as you waited for dispatch.

There weren't any specific rules (separate to other coasters I mean), but the main issue with Mouse was people not following the basic rules that apply when riding coasters.  Much like some other rides (log flumes, Steeplechase, Zodiac, bobsleighs etc) it required some common sense in terms of not standing up etc.

7 hours ago, Coaster said:

"Do not unfasten your seatbelt" to start with, was on a huge sign which was in front of you as you waited for dispatch.

There weren't any specific rules (separate to other coasters I mean), but the main issue with Mouse was people not following the basic rules that apply when riding coasters.  Much like some other rides (log flumes, Steeplechase, Zodiac, bobsleighs etc) it required some common sense in terms of not standing up etc.

Common sense isn't that common. 

Inall fairness different parts of the world/Europe certainly have different responses to safety.

As Baron’s anaology is concerned, in some places, they know not to drive at 80 mph. They may stay at 79 Mph for a fair bit of time but still don’t exceed. Those who reach 80mph and blow up are just seen to be silly and shouldn’t have driven at 80 mph. 

In places like the UK, there are several warnings not to drive at 80 mph,but people still do regardless of being told several times and things then happen. Those concerned focus on this and blame the car providers, despite warning the warning the drivers not to drive at 80 Mph. This is inline to the U.K. side of things.

It’s certainly accurate that many people forget their brains when entering the parks, where even simple things like finding where to put bags and finding the toilets seem to become remarkably more difficult for some reason. 

• 3 months later...

That may have had something to do with it, but it's pretty clear from acroprops etc. dotted around that the structure itself is evidently past it's best. Since it's now been sitting there for a number of years to rot further, untreated, I can't see Loggers Leap ever coming back now without being completely ripped out and started again!

3 hours ago, 08newmanb said:

According to MissLilyStar on YouTube: "Apparently it's because the water was from the lake and dirty so it didn't pass the healthy and safety checks"

So that's why Loggers Leap was closed down for THAT reason. I should say NO to RMC rumours, not ever!

Would you agree?

Let’s go ahead and give an answer to the loggers leap “will it, won’t it” saga.

This is correct. Nothing to do with insurance or other rumours, been told this directly from a Thorpe Park engineer. Why Thorpe wasn’t just honest and said it was closed indefinately from the get go, who knows.

To meet regulations, the water would be required to be filtered and treated etc, plus the attraction needed extensive repairs anyway. It is cheaper to build a new loggers leap than repair the existing one. For those pointing out that Rumba Rapids uses lake water, it’s something to do with the fact they haven’t done any renovations or extensive work to ride system itself so is still regulated by old regulations, not sure about the ins and outs of that myself. Plus Rumba doesn’t get you soaked more of a splash (though this is my guess).

Maybe one day they'll remove Slammer and Loggers at the same time and create some coaster in that space? :D

I am intrigued as to what the future holds for "Old Town" - you have to wonder if one year they'll just flatten the whole thing, surely that has to be on the agenda considering the hotch-potch of old or second hand rides, plus a SBNO flume.

My money is probably on something like 2022 after another few "years of the Walking Dead" ;)

Just demolish, tear out and flatten Canada Creek for a fresh Western area with new buildings, theming and infrastructure. Then build  Chiapas and Taron type rides interweaving between each other I would say, then you have an updated area with two great new attractions.

There’s a better chance of them reopening Slammer than Loggers right now.

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2018 at 5:07 PM, 08newmanb said:

According to MissLilyStar on YouTube: "Apparently it's because the water was from the lake and dirty so it didn't pass the healthy and safety checks"

So that's why Loggers Leap was closed down for THAT reason. I should say NO to RMC rumours, not ever!

Would you agree?

Not true. The relevant rules stipulating closed circuit clean water systems are required on new builds only, those already running can continue chucking dirty water over people for as long as the park want. 

See: Rumba Rapids at the same park.