Logger's Leap

Garyy

51 minutes ago, Adam P said:

They have only just put on Facebook it's still under development for next year, can't see why they would still be doing this if it was 100% confirmed it was a thing of the past.

Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing?

Happens a lot in big business.

I've moved this topic to 'The Future', for two reasons...

1)  It's funny seeing people get over-worked up over where a topic on a forum is being placed, and this place seems rather inappropriate.  

2)  If Loggers Leap does return, and that's a pretty big if, I reckon we would see some changes.  

Related to the second point, if anyone genuinely believes that Loggers Leap is reopening in 2017, they are surely kidding themselves.  No work has been done to it.  Social media is very evasive over the subject.  There's been no firm rumours about its return.  And Merlin wouldn't miss the opportunity for a minor spruce up to go down as a major refurb which should be heavily marketed.  It all points to it not reopening in 2017. 

If anyone does feel particularly strongly about the location of this topic and can put forth a genuinely compelling argument as to why a SBNO ride should remain in a subforum about present day things, then please contact a team member... :)

6 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Related to the second point, if anyone genuinely believes that Loggers Leap is reopening in 2017, they are surely kidding themselves.  No work has been done to it.  Social media is very evasive over the subject.  There's been no firm rumours about its return.  And Merlin wouldn't miss the opportunity for a minor spruce up to go down as a major refurb which should be heavily marketed.  It all points to it not reopening in 2017.

But even today, Thorpe are posting things such as;

30266881943_beef2df752_m.jpg

"Logger's Leap is still under redevelopment for 2017!  We hope for it to make a splashback soon :)

Surely they wouldn't be making statements like this if Loggers Leap wasn't returning next year in some shape or form?

2 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Surely they wouldn't be making statements like this if Loggers Leap wasn't returning next year in some shape or form?

This is precisely an example of social media being evasive.  

"Loggers Leap is under redevelopment for 2017" - this can have two meanings.  One meaning is that it's being developed to open in the 2017 season.  The other is that it's being developed during the 2017.  It's ambiguous.

"We hope for it to make a splashback soon" - this is related to the ride opening; "hope" and "soon" being key words.  Hoping means nothing really - you can hope for anything to happen, but it doesn't mean that it will or that it won't.  Saying soon gives an endless timescale, since there's no real way to measure 'soon-ness'.  

Put all that together and what they're saying is "Loggers Leap is closed for 2017, and it may or may not reopen in the future".  But they're giving people an evasive response to try and stop people questioning about it all the time.  And people will buy it.

20 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

When I asked them on messenger if it will reopen they said "Hi we are unable to confirm this yet we will keep you updated however we hope it will make a splash back in the future"

Ah, I didn't read it like that but it could well be saying that.

So essentially, this is what Thorpe could be saying;

-Loggers Leap has been sat idle during 2016, despite it being initially advertised as renovations. This is a WHOLE SEASON and two closed seasons they have had to complete the work.

- Despite this, it could get to 2017 before any work actually starts on the ride, and even then, the "redevelopment" may not actually happen.

By this point, the ride would have been sat SBNO for TWO years.

Utterly, utterly disgraceful.

11 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

-Loggers Leap has been sat idle during 2016, despite it being initially advertised as renovations. This is a WHOLE SEASON and two closed seasons they have had to complete the work.

- Despite this, it could get to 2017 before any work actually starts on the ride, and even then, the "redevelopment" may not actually happen.

The fact is no one on here knows what work the ride needs - we have no idea of the reasons for its closure, we've no idea how much money it will cost. The park is hardly short of water rides, in a country where at best they are popular for 2/3 months a season.

I'd love to see loggers reopen but the fact is the ride is advertised no where on their website, no where on the park map and he official word is they "hoped" it would return in 2017 and now they "hope" it will return in the future. 

Or we just read it wrong and its either opening next year or never again?

It's pretty clear that whatever's going on with Loggers Leap, it's happening out of the public eye. They could've torn up all the ride before the main drop for all we know, to do the second half over the coming months.

Whatever's happening, it'd be pretty wrong for Thorpe to claim it's being redeveloped only to close it completely.

9 hours ago, Marc said:

The fact is no one on here knows what work the ride needs - we have no idea of the reasons for its closure, we've no idea how much money it will cost. The park is hardly short of water rides, in a country where at best they are popular for 2/3 months a season.

I'd love to see loggers reopen but the fact is the ride is advertised no where on their website, no where on the park map and he official word is they "hoped" it would return in 2017 and now they "hope" it will return in the future. 

I don't agree that water rides are only popular for 2-3 months in a year, having seen one of the wettest rides in the country with a queue out of the extensions on some of the coldest days of the season! The Flume at Alton is another example, that always had a queue when I was there, and I usually visit out of the summer months.

Log Flumes are a staple ride and IMO, every theme park should have one. They appeal to everyone (families, thrillseekers etc) and Loggers was consistently popular, not just in the summer months.

10 hours ago, Coaster Jamie said:

It's not disgraceful. It's just something you disagree with. These parks don't just close rides for the fun of it. They are fully aware of how popular Loggers Leap was and Thorpe have shown time and time again that they have patience with disobedient rides (Slammer and Samurai I'm looking at you). There is a fundamental reason why Loggers closed in 2015. Admittedly Thorpe saying they plan to redevelop/refurb it aren't helping matters but maybe, potentially, even they don't really know if it will ever re-open. 

You'd have hated 2005 when Rodeo, Boneshaker, Dynamo & the whole of Cred Street closed. Not to mention the countless Blackpool rides that were SBNO at that time.

Unfortunately, Loggers Leap was not as popular as people may think. In 2014 and 2015, LoggersLeap was rated the third best water ride by guests after Tidal Wave and Storm Surge. Storm Surge also had more riders than Loggers Leap in both those years

It was still popular in a way, and it's decline in popularity wasn't the cause for its closure. But it was not as popular as people seem to think or make out