Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

BREAKING NEWS

Thorpe have submitted plans for a dark ride replacing the arena and CRC!  - http://thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/30-10-2014/2016-Attraction-Plans-Released

All the plans can be found on the council's website:  http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/GeneralSearch.aspx (search for Thorpe Park and it's on the second page).

Very exciting times ahead! :D

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8.jpgReally happy where this is going, using up space that was just left neglected apart from MBV, I'm happy they haven't closed that area off with the building as it would have destroyed the flow of the park, excited to see what this is and if they pull it off, I have to say though the building plans don't look Dr Who in the slightest which is good :D

Am I the only one that doesn't really like dark rides... You go on them once and then they get boring, people could say the same about roller coasters but they're actually thrilling, and I go to a theme park for big rides, so hopefully, as it's a major investment that it is something with thrilling elements, or we best get something new for thrill seekers for next year, otherwise they're just taking the p***!!

Am I the only one that doesn't really like dark rides... You go on them once and then they get boring, people could say the same about roller coasters but they're actually thrilling, and I go to a theme park for big rides, so hopefully, as it's a major investment that it is something with thrilling elements, or we best get something new for thrill seekers for next year, otherwise they're just taking the p***!!

Some people here appreciate good narratives, special effects and immersive surroundings?

I get your point, but it is a theme park after all, they're not "taking the piss".

I never got bored of riding things like Escape from Gringotts and Transformers at Universal - dark rides can be a truly amazing experence - feel this is exactly the type of attraction the park are crying out for. 

Some people here appreciate good narratives, special effects and immersive surroundings? I get your point, but it is a theme park after all, they're not "taking the piss".

In terms of not offering anything new thrilling since 2012, and probably then won't see any investment in 2017 and no one would know what the future holds from then... Just saying, I for one am disappointed, unless it is an all in one experience, as immersive themeing is great, just I find dark rides in general slow and boring.

In terms of not offering anything new thrilling since 2012, and probably then won't see any investment in 2017 and no one would know what the future holds from then... Just saying, I for one am disappointed, unless it is an all in one experience, as immersive themeing is great, just I find dark rides in general slow and boring.

2000-  Tidal Wave. Thrill water Ride

2001 - Zodiac, Detonator and Vortex. 3 Thrill Rides

2002. Colossus - Thrilling rollercoaster

2003. Nemesis Inferno, Quantum and Eclipse. A Thrilling rollercoaster, a thrill ride and a dull waste of space (which lasted two seasons)

2004. Samurai. Thrill ride.

2005. Slammer and Rush. 2 Thrill rides

2006. Stealth. Thrilling rollercoaster

2007. Return of Flying Fish. First proper family ride since Pirated 4D, 9 years previously.

2008. Time Voyagers (Nothing to add)

2009. Saw the ride. Thrilling roller coaster

2010. Saw Alive. Load of rubbish but firmly in the thrill category

2011. Storm Surge. Waste of space but a family ride of sorts.

2012. The Swarm. Thrilling rollercoaster

2013. X retheme. Make it family friendly

2014. Angry Birds Land (where do I begin)

I'm sorry you missed the absolute deluge of thrilling rides in the noughties, but to say they are taking the piss now is ridiculous. There are plenty of thrilling and interesting dark rides out there. We don't even know what Thorpe are planning. To disregard this attraction based on planning permission that only shows us a building and location is laughable.

2000-  Tidal Wave. Thrill water Ride

2001 - Zodiac, Detonator and Vortex. 3 Thrill Rides

2002. Colossus - Thrilling rollercoaster

2003. Nemesis Inferno, Quantum and Eclipse. A Thrilling rollercoaster, a thrill ride and a dull waste of space (which lasted two seasons)

2004. Samurai. Thrill ride.

2005. Slammer and Rush. 2 Thrill rides

2006. Stealth. Thrilling rollercoaster

2007. Return of Flying Fish. First proper family ride since Pirated 4D, 9 years previously.

2008. Time Voyagers (Nothing to add)

2009. Saw the ride. Thrilling roller coaster

2010. Saw Alive. Load of rubbish but firmly in the thrill category

2011. Storm Surge. Waste of space but a family ride of sorts.

2012. The Swarm. Thrilling rollercoaster

2013. X retheme. Make it family friendly

2014. Angry Birds Land (where do I begin)

I'm sorry you missed the absolute deluge of thrilling rides in the noughties, but to say they are taking the piss now is laughable. There are plenty of thrilling and interesting dark rides out there. We don't even know what Thorpe are planning. To disregard this attraction based on planning permission that only shows us a building and location is laughable.

I agree with Mark, Thorpe have been installing nothing but flats and rollercoasters since 2000, and I am personally very happy to see Thorpe taking a break from coasters to bring us something new and innovative. They are being diverse in what attractions they offer us and to change their audience to family, really opens up themselves to new and exciting possibilities.

Secondly, I don't get how anyone can say dark rides are boring - I love the Spiderman ride and Mummy rollercoaster and the Gringotts and Transformers rides look amazing. I'd be happy with anything half as great as the aforementioned.

Thirdly, this is Thorpe and Merlin's biggest investment ever so I imagine this to be technically-great and fantastically-themed. Also they're re-developing and creating a whole area and there's also clearing being done on Miss Hippo's Fungal Safari.

Dark rides can be better than roller coasters or flat rides. They give a complete experience, a story that you are part of much more, guests can be involved! Spiderman, Forbidden Journey, Tower of Terror!!!! Not boring or slow, just because dark rides in the UK aren't brilliant (although Duel isn't slow and Hex has an amazing story and experience!) Doesn't mean you should slate the fact this will be a dark ride. Much more excited by this than if they had announced a coaster (which Thorpe are obviously short of) as we've no idea what will be within this building and Thorpe can keep that up for as long as they want pretty much! HYPE

This is great news for Thorpe and I am potentially excited about this.

Why potentially I hear you ask? Being a dark ride, there is a lot more work, effort and creativity needed to pull off such a fantastic ride and hopefully it will tick the boxes of being good throughput, immersive with a good storyline,plot,pace and theming and also a great investment.

Whilst I'm sad to hear the passing of the caroulsel, yet another classic from the pre-Tussaud's days, despite being a centrepiece to the park's past, I did feel the ride system was starting to look worn,dated and slightly out of place (even in the gradually family friendly returning) Thorpe, plus I feel the arena's footprint will be put to better use with no space wasted and MBV can be easily relocated elsewhere in the park.

Happy Mr monkeys! Calypso BBQ, Studio/Inferno shop and also the pathway are staying as it would take away a huge chunk of oark space away plus ruin the park's flow too.

If Thorpe pull off this mammoth (non major coaster) ride, it will do them great and be a fantastic addition which will hopefully be successful for them.

Wonder what this means now for Fungle's site?