Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least it looks like the attraction will have a long queue line (that outdoor cattle pen looks large) meaning that Thorpe must be investing big. Still disappointed that there's no roller-coaster though. And what does this mean for 2015? Will we still get a new flat ride? If not hopefully a park wide cleaning.

My first visit to thorpe was in 2009, but presuming the high investment in the early to mid 2000s was to make it into the thrill park it is today, or was since their change of market... I agree it is missing dark rides, but it is annoying (don't forget everyone is entitled to their own opinion without who's right and who's wrong) that a big investment rollercoaster is apparently scrapped for next year to instead get a dark ride more family based due to their market change the year after. Now of course we don't have a clue what is going to be inside the warehouse (let's just presume it isn't going to be themed very well on the outside aha), and something like revenge of the mummy would be great, so we'll have to see, but I'd still rather a big coaster.

Thorpe's last big coaster was deemed a marketing failure, so good to see them go for a dark ride...

Whether I actually have confidence in them pulling it off to create a truly fantastic experience, depends on too many factors that we won't know until opening day... But I don't trust Merlin to build and fix a large scale dark ride, so I expect lots of screens as theming rather than physical items, and of course the IP as standard...

Maybe Merlin will surprise me... But I am sceptical, since dark rides are extremely difficult to get right on such a scale, especially with all the hype that will surround it...

When I saw the prison sort of looking entrance I kind of got my hopes up and wished for a prison styled walking dead dark ride but then I saw the thorpe depot, IP or own theme aside a dark ride is a much needed addition and a good strategy to change as despite the swarm being a great coaster people seem bored for now of roller coasters at Thorpe Park

I wouldn't read too much in to the "Thorpe Depot" thing. It is probably just a place holder.

Merlin Magic Making have proven they can deliver pretty good set pieces and theming, and at this stage, Merlin would be absolute idiots to cut corners after the flop with The Swarm, and the issues with The Smiler.

Probably one of the best things about Merlin is that they don't seem to have actually slashed any budgets as far as rides are concerned, and generally with planning permissions, what you see is what you get.

Slightly concerned about that building theme, hopefully it will change to something more intresting than another doom and gloom ride. Also alightly worried about how flat it all is, 10m isn't exactly high and thefear of lasers is quite high. However saying that it may be what thorpe need as long as it has a good throughput.

Also I wouldnt be surprised to see that single rider queue become a disabled queue.

Anyone compare the show building size vs Spiderman and transformers yet? Now something that scale would be awesome!

I read elsewhere that the Spiderman building is about 6000sqm, whereas this building is around 2400sqm, so it's a fair amount smaller.  

However, something like this is still a lot bigger than Hex Duel I believe, so in terms of a UK dark ride, it is of a rather large scale I guess!

Edited by JoshC.

Slightly concerned about that building theme, hopefully it will change to something more intresting than another doom and gloom ride. Also alightly worried about how flat it all is, 10m isn't exactly high and thefear of lasers is quite high. However saying that it may be what thorpe need as long as it has a good throughput.

Also I wouldnt be surprised to see that single rider queue become a disabled queue.

Wouldn't read anything atall into the theme - it's just a place holder of how it could look - I imagine we will see more plans maybe at later date!

I read elsewhere that the Spiderman building is about 6000sqm, whereas this building is around 2400sqm, so it's a fair amount smaller.  

However, something like this is still a lot bigger than Hex I believe, so in terms of a UK dark ride, it is of a rather large scale I guess!

How big is Duel's building? That's probably the biggest dark ride we currently have...

How big is Duel's building? That's probably the biggest dark ride we currently have...

Eurgh, I did mean to put Duel rather than Hex there - long day yesterday!  :blush:

Duel's building is around 1600-1800sqm I think.  Of course, Duel's building is a lot more nice in terms of shape (just a big square really), but that does give us a rough idea of just how big this thing could be.

--

Couple of other points I've come across too:

-Attraction could well contain ORPs; the plans mention a photo kiosk.

-Some from the noise report...

It is anticipated that construction will commence in 2015 with the new attraction being open to the public in summer of 2016. The operating hours for the new attraction are anticipated to be in line with the general opening areas of Thorpe Park. 

So we *may* be seeing a summer opening.  I wouldn't read into it too much, as it could well just be implying that it will be open by summer 2016, not for summer 2016.  Everywhere else in the plans just state 2016 opening really.  So yeah, something to just bare in mind I guess..

^ Ok and Tomb Blaster, but that wasn't my point.

What I mean is I don't think of dark rides having ORPs, I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's because I'd imagine it would distract you from the storyline of the ride?

I know it's a small detail in the plans, but it's just made me think it might be more of a thrill ride (N:ST) than a normal dark ride.

Who knows...

I think that it would be a pretty decent bet that this will be a thrill ride of sorts, that everyone can enjoy. Every major Universal family ride is pretty thrilling, and most have ORP's, and do not distract from the ride experience.. It would be silly for them not to add one to this, heck even Slammer originally had it on the plans!

I suppose, although the most immersive ones like Gringotts don't... Saying that I think they work well if there's something dramatic happening at the time of the photo. With Duel, I just kinda felt it was placed randomly and I always look either bored or constipated in the photos, even though I love the ride!

However I definitely don't expect anything as immersive or thrilling as Gringotts, and I agree with you that it'll probably be more of a thrill ride than a narrative-based ride!