Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a true opportunity to "theme"....

If they can provide a truly immersive themed (throughout) experience then I for one will be pleased. Theme parks are all about escapism so if they are blowing major money on this investment then we should be able to realistically hope for true immersion

(MERLIN HAVE MARVEL IP) also from the recent announcements I would not cross off that idea 

But there are rumours of Disney doing Marvel at Walt Disney Studios Paris (Rock'n'Rollercoaster to Spiderman, Armageddon changes to Fantastic Four etc), so I would expect Disney to save the Marvel rides for themselves. Currently Madame Tussauds has very cartoony a Marvel 4D show but that is it. I think there is more chance of them using a BBC IP.

Although I hate to admit it, LC is right about the 'plaza structure' possibly being Tardis shaped.

Personally I'd hate it to be Doctor Who, the show tries too hard to be clever and scary, even though their target audience stretches to a very young group of people. I think because the show is/was so popular, they'd be so much hype that I really doubt Merlin would be able to live up to it! A 10m high warehouse doesn't scream epic Doctor Who attraction to me, and I believe they're only building 3m underground.

I'm still so excited to see how this turns out though! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking through the plans a bit. There really doesn't seem to be many clues as to what will be in there or what the actual theme will be! A few thoughts...

-This quote from the noise report is a bit odd, referencing the consruction traffc figures from the MTDP compered to this application.

The figures in the report are based upon a ‘Major New Ride’ being constructed. The proposed 2016 attraction will not be as large as a ‘Major New Ride’, so this assessment forms a worst case scenario

So is this such a big thing as is being suggested, or should it be considered more of a medium development? Hopefully they just mean from an engineering/construction point of view rather than overall budget or impact. It does suggest to me no coaster in there, as surely a coaster plus building would be a bigger rather than smaller job than just coaster, so likely a flat or tracked ride inside.

This plan is rather odd..

tpplan1_zps981a83b7.png

Unlike the other plans, this shows a distinction between 'attraction building part 1' which itself is contained within  'attraction building part 2'. I can't make out if that is there purely for facade purposes, or if it is a full 'to the floor' building which creates an actual partition within the main building. If it does create a partition that could hint at a pre-show are maybe, but it would appear to limit the main ride area quite significantly. When you consider this statement from the overview document...

The proposed building will also have a pre-show, retail, back of house and plant areas

...suddenly the building doesn't look quite so big anymore! How much space for actual ride will there realistically be?

This shows something of a pinch point between the construction site and NI shop building.

tpplan2_zps8db95c9e.png

I wonder if the clearance of the Fungal site is to provide some sort of access behind the NI shop building to stop the park being cut in half during construction, rather than for anything new itself?

Sadly, this wording sounds a lot like carousel is going rather than being relocated...

In addition, it is proposed to remove the following ‘developed areas’ (rides/other structures) from the site (see plan ref. 472-88-3), comprising a total of 991sqm: 

2 The Chief Ranger’s Carousel, which has a developed area of 180sqm 

If they were moving it they wouldn't be claiming back the site it sits on as a decrease in developed area like this.

Personally I think it's a shame this is yet another building designed to look run down. Hopefully there's good reason which will become clear when the inevitable IP is discovered, but if it is the much touted Dr Who which could be set literally anywhere in time and space, and they've gone for the abandoned warehouse, I'll be very disappointed with them!

Wouldnt mind a doctor who ride themed around the weeping angels. That sort of theme would require a similar building to a warehouse like the episode blink and it also gets merlins IP. That would also provide a need for a preshow and would have enough significance for an on ride photo and shop. It would also be an easy theme to pull off and still be scary/fun at the same time.

-This quote from the noise report is a bit odd, referencing the consruction traffc figures from the MTDP compered to this application.

The figures in the report are based upon a ‘Major New Ride’ being constructed. The proposed 2016 attraction will not be as large as a ‘Major New Ride’, so this assessment forms a worst case scenario

So is this such a big thing as is being suggested, or should it be considered more of a medium development? Hopefully they just mean from an engineering/construction point of view rather than overall budget or impact. It does suggest to me no coaster in there, as surely a coaster plus building would be a bigger rather than smaller job than just coaster, so likely a flat or tracked ride inside.

Nice find!  I think it's a case of there's a distinction between what we as enthusiasts/guests determine as a major new ride, and what the council will class as a major new ride though.  Anything with a large amount of money invested is gonna be a major new ride to guests.  However, a themed experience inside a building probably won't be seen as so major to the council.  So yeah, agree with you that it's probably just from an engineering view and that it rules out a coaster.  Nothing to worry about just yet!

Unlike the other plans, this shows a distinction between 'attraction building part 1' which itself is contained within  'attraction building part 2'. I can't make out if that is there purely for facade purposes, or if it is a full 'to the floor' building which creates an actual partition within the main building. If it does create a partition that could hint at a pre-show are maybe, but it would appear to limit the main ride area quite significantly. When you consider this statement from the overview document...

The proposed building will also have a pre-show, retail, back of house and plant areas

...suddenly the building doesn't look quite so big anymore! How much space for actual ride will there realistically be?  

Hard to tell whether to distinction between the building 'parts' is just to show the façade differences or whether that's how the attraction will be divided.  

If it is how the building will be divided, and taking into account it's gonna have a pre-show, retail and all that, I don't think there's anything to worry about really!  This is how I could see things shaping up...

2016idea_zps3d44e71e.jpg

I'd be very surprised if it did end up like this mind (except the building entrance.exit and shop, which is how it says on the plans), as that seems like an awful, awful lot of space for the pre-show for example.  However, it still shows how there's a lot of the main ride element - that's still pretty much the length of the arena and some alright width to it as well.  In reality, I'd expect a smaller-sized pre-show to be honest, giving even more space for the main ride.  So I still think the building seems pretty large all in all!

http://documents.runnymede.gov.uk/AnitePublicDocs/00159371.pdf

This document implies that the baggage, retail and preshow will all be incorporated in one section with the attraction building part 1 and 2 being separate.

The fact it has a baggage room is good though as it means it will at least throw you around a bit unlike Duel and Tomb Blaster where you take your bags with you or have odd cars where you can't place your bags on the floor (maybe no floor?).