Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, this wording sounds a lot like carousel is going rather than being relocated...

If they were moving it they wouldn't be claiming back the site it sits on as a decrease in developed area like this.

Well there goes my happy feels.

A whole year of speculation! If only we could time travel. :ph34r:

Yeah I'm pretty much thinking not to revisit this thread at least till the new year. 

Lord I agree! Maybe then we'll know what, or who this is all about!

Good for Thorpe tho to have something for once, hidden from fanboy eyes!

I hope that the old space station zero ride area gets something worth while for the extra traffic flow, rather than the waste of space that it is now. Thorpe should make the most of such a space opposite this.

I'm not sure how a hunger games themed ride would work to be honest, I've not ridden many dark rides admittedly but that franchise is mostly actors fighting each other in a forest or urban environments, to me at least it doesn't really seem to lend itself to a dark ride scenario (especially since it would probably require the actors to contribute in some part and I doubt that most of them would come cheap considering how many of the stars of that movie have blown up in terms of popularity in the last few years)

Even though some people may not be fond of it I think Doctor Who would lend itself much better, especially if the dark ride was attempting a haunted house feel to a degree with the show's hundreds of monsters. I mean it has no real set location it must take place in, the storyline could be practically anything and it's cast is pretty expansive so they could probably get a couple of people from the show to lend their talents (and they aren't so high profile as to be unreasonably expensive to hire them) Though I guess it doesn't matter either way since they are all pretty much blind guesses.

It's a difficult one really.  

Thorpe / Merlin are more than capable of creating their own original concepts and having them work:  Swarm, Smiler - kinda - and Studio 13 all spring to mind for me.  But it's all quite obvious what those attractions and whatever theme you stick on them, people will still come to ride it.

A dark ride will be very different.  Thorpe are gonna keep quiet what it is; no one will know what's inside or what to expect.  It makes it a lot more difficult to make people come ride.   However, it's a lot easier to say 'Come ride our new Doctor Who ride' than 'Come ride our ride about John Smith as he explores the dark depths of this abandoned warehouse'.  With little visualisation about the ride itself, it's key to have a theme that will draw in the crowds.  So maybe an IP will be for the best, to ensure people are drawn in.  

Still think an original idea could be possible mind!

In my ideal world I want a Walking Dead indoor dark ride/ horror attraction. If it is a rollercoaster or just a dark ride ghost train sort oft thing I dont mind as long as it is Walking Dead... Doubt it will happen but Walking Dead ride would be the best thing I would want IMO.

I think that could be cool and the theme would work well, though it probably wouldn't fit with them trying to broaden their appeal to families considering the level of violence and gore in the show.

If it ends up being anything Dr Who is will end up going on it once and never again... hate the programme. There's isn't a need for a IP as Thorpe should believe they can come up with something good. Alton did with sub terror. If it is a IP I really don't want a child/family IP... I know it will though. Or a IT'S A SMALL WORLD CLONE ;)

The main source of the rumours for Doctor who I believe, is since the big success of the Cebeebies garden area land bob thing in Alton towers. It got to the point that people were starting to think they were funding a second ride at the back of the dark forest or something themed around Doctor Who, but also people started to think they have given a franchise to a different merlin park. With the gap between the opening of Cebeebies land and the rumours for 2016 starting, it's understandable that people can put the dots together and say that this is a Doctor Who IP. But that can be as likely as any other decent BBC IP, or an in house one.