Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people confuse 'kids rides' and 'relaxing rides' a lot.

Things like CRC, Fungle, Octopus Garden, etc. were most definitely kids rides.  Okay, something like CRC could be a slightly more family thing, but its primarily geared to a younger audience.

None of those rides are relaxing family rides though.  They're kids rides.  And if we're being totally honest with ourselves, no child above the age of 7 or 8 would care about any of those rides mentioned above, and thus - given that Thorpe are targeting families with older children - have no place at Thorpe any more really.  

I do agree Thorpe don't really have many relaxing attractions to do - there's the cinema, but that's really it.  Everything else requires you to go up high, be spun loads, chucked left, right and centre and all that.  They need more 'other' things to do.  To be honest, even just bringing back CCR and having a show in the Showcase would do a world of difference.  Then that'd give 3 attractions for everyone to enjoy and relax, which not disrupting the flow of the day.  

I do think the park could do with some more relaxing rides, considering without caroulsel now (alongside CCR, Fungle and others) the only chill rides left now are Loggers, Rumba, Depth charge and Angrybirds 4D and that's pushing it slightly.

Towers has CBeebies land, cloud cuckoo, sky ride, flume and Congo plus duel, whilst Chessie has Bubbleworks, skyway, the zoo, Hocus Pocus and tombs (if you like). Don't get me started at Legoland.

I agree, it's what I like about Alton, wouldn't neciserely call them all 'relaxing' but I know what you mean... Rides you can actually go on to spend some time sitting down that aren't over within 60 seconds but are still providing some entertainment that isn't throwing you in every direction, I also find these kind of rides give a much better feel of 'escapism' 

Remember that we're just recovering from an enormous amount of thrill rides from the thrill capital days, and this is obviously the turning point in building more immersive experiences.

Clearly they know the thrill years weren't the right direction, and after an enormous amount of thought have decided to run in this new direction.. Whilst I support it, I would hate to see no further coaster installations for 10 years. Hopefully we'll see further development for all branches of the family.

Isn't there a theater production going ahead for 2016 regarding The Hunger Games? (has this already been mentioned? I really should keep up)

Thorpe are the kind of park to jump on a bandwagon.

Thorpe Park and originality don't mix. They ballsed up Swarm because no one in marketing has any imagination and need rehashed ideas.

Step forward. Ten back.

But hey! Something 'new' non the less.

Please Give us something like Hex at Towers it is what is really missing at Thorpe.

Really, would you run round to "re-ride" it? I think not, even a carousel is something you would want to go on twice in one day, but Hex?

Sorry, I suppose I'm being a bit hypercritical as that is not my thing, but I do prefer something that I would want to go back on pretty soon, not once each visit.

^ I agree, I think it's because Hex isn't interactive (at least in my opinion).

By that I mean whilst Hex tells a great story, you (as the rider) aren't involved in it, whereas on something like Escape from Gringotts (or even N:ST) you are part of the narrative and what happens in the story appears to directly affect you, such as being in apparent danger or the feeling of being chased. Hex just doesn't do that for me, and I feel like it's more like watching a film than I ride.

And I would never see the same film in the cinema twice in a day :P

One of Thorpe's problems, is that it doesn't really have an overall park wide theme, or identity if you will, to play off of. Alton Towers obviously has the Towers, and Gothic heritage. Chessington uses the Safari aspect of things. If you look at Universal they have their movie set concept, Busch and Sea world have their wildlife themes and Disney of course has its "magic".

They really need to re imagine the something like the Thorpe Park rangers. I'm not saying bring them back, because they would be far too dated. But they need to bring back something that gives the park its own identity. They can then use this identity to plan future rides.

One of Thorpe's problems, is that it doesn't really have an overall park wide theme.......They really need to re imagine the something like the Thorpe Park rangers. I'm not saying bring them back, because they would be far too dated. But they need to bring back something that gives the park its own identity. 

What about sticking with the Shark theme as they aim to make so much money out of the queue jump systems and car park, without thought to those already in the queues?

The staff certainly don't seem to have much knowledge of the future ride, but I am starting to get the snippets together - zap! zap!

As the "rangers" carousel is going and though much more modern, with Merlins treatment of the original carousel, I don't hold much hope for this one being relocated.

I seem to remember this Dark Ride being mentioned in the MTDP or a version of it a few years back before The Swarm and Saw were around. I wonder if this has been in the pipeline for a while? I would say if it is housing a ride mechanism, it's definitely not a coaster. The building is not tall enough and the budget won't stretch to digging a hole that big.

^ Exactly, and the Toy Story shooter at Disney isn't exactly dull, is it!

Project LC, I know we don't know the budget for this, but do you really think we'll be getting a ride on Spiderman level? Besides shooters can be fun, and if they tried hard enough, actually quite immersive!

We'll just have to wait and see, but I won't be devastated if this is a lazer-gun ride. Thorpe really needs a dark ride imo!