Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true, but Universal are generally IP based parks, they started out using their own IPs but have branched out to third parties to fill the gaps in their line-up. Adding Harry Potter was a no-brainer regardless if it wasn't their own property. Obviously they have created their own original attractions (e.g HRRR & Hollywood Dream), but these are few and far between.

• 2 weeks later...

More Monk's Walk geekery - unsurprisingly not a lot has changed since James' photo. The construction fences look as if they've taken a battering in the recent winds...

2016dec14construction1.jpg

Still no sign of Carousel demolition, but already they've opened up a big area with the flattening of Fungle Safari - there must be something else due to occupy some of this space, aside from the 2016 Dark Ride, surely...?

More photos over at Total Thorpe Park!

I still find looking at this space now so weird - it's surprising just how dominant the arena walls were!

As for the space, I expect it'll either be used as a walkway (given how much space the work site will take up and that area is a major path) or as an easy access path to the site (as it stands, access to the site would mean going down the service road, appearing from the CCR route, then going down past the Calypso BBQ - not very practical!) or even both.  

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some more exciting plans for the space down the line.  Just, for the time being, I doubt we'll see much excitement for it.

More Monk's Walk geekery - unsurprisingly not a lot has changed since James' photo. The construction fences look as if they've taken a battering in the recent winds...

2016dec14construction1.jpg

Still no sign of Carousel demolition, but already they've opened up a big area with the flattening of Fungle Safari - there must be something else due to occupy some of this space, aside from the 2016 Dark Ride, surely...?

More photos over at Total Thorpe Park!

give it another week or two and I think we should see something major done again? I think I'm popping up for another walk down monks walk in 2 weeks time ;)

I would say that there going to start digging in a few weeks. Then vertical construction may/june with the main building being finished sometime towards end of august or early September. Then they will move in the large portion of machinery and technology controlling the ride (my guess is that there is a lot of that). Then that allows for 4 - 5 months of inside themeing followed by 2 months of full testing and training and media. 

MHFS will remain as site access. Maybe something for 2017 if 2016 is successful. 

They can't start any major work until the plans have been approved (going into committee again this Wednesday) so until then they can only do things that they're allowed to do under their general agreement of things with the Council like randomly removing some trees and concrete.

It'll be interesting to see how they go about the construction with it being in quite a central location and a pain to get to. Good thing the service road isn't too far away and they can move materials over night from Fungle to Arena. Building will probably be done as soon as possible. Over at Islands of Adventure the building they're building is nearly complete and the ride isn't rumoured to open till 2016. Once the building is up they can be more mysterious and work on the inside so I'd say that'll be done before summer (it won't take that long to build, it's not exactly complex this building. Then they'll work on everything that we can't see :( (yes finally a project at Thorpe that can be a huge surprise on the inside!) 

Nothing says this will open in March next year, probably will but I think one of the planning documents says summer plus Merlin seem against beginning of season opening at the moment.

Bring on the marketing this season though, can't wait to see what they do :D

The marketing for the ride now is okay, however before it opened it was the most over-hyping rubbish I've ever seen.  Age limits, waivers, "every thrill ride you've ever dreamed of," it was just so OTT and I think that's why the ride let so many people down (as they were expecting more).

It wouldn't of surprised me if the Marketing team at AT rode it and went "S***, We f****d that one up". 

On another note, It's of no surprise to me that Carousel hasn't been removed yet, the majority of the work was going to be removing the hundreds of tonnes of earth soil and shrubbery where the building will actually stand, rather than a flat-pack carousel where the queue line will be.

You may not realise it but that Carousel can literally vanish in a matter of hours.

No, it was a really bad idea. The actual advertising was spot on, hinting at it and being all creepy and enticing. The problem was the POV on the breakfast TV program, that was a bloody stupid thing to do after all the secrecy, and made it look a lot crapper (same thing as happened with Saw) than it actually was. Along with the build up marketing, that was just daft and through everything in the wrong direction. 

^ Oh the ITV news 'report' was terrible, but the actual adverts (which is what we're talking about) were good in my opinion. By hinting that the drop exists, it made the rather generic coaster look so much more interesting!

Although I agree about the whole 'psycoaster' thing or whatever it was. That part was awful.