Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is we'll get some sort of teaser when the season opens. I don't think Merlin would miss a chance to plaster "New for 2016" banners up around the construction site at the very earliest opportunity. 

That said, considering The Smiler and its very first marketing material, we're still a very long way off from getting any definitive idea of whats to come. 

This investment could well follow the pattern of one of Merlin's late openings, we may not see this new dark ride open until the summer season of 2016 for all we know at this point. I would imagine the site will be kept as discrete as possible for the majority of the 2015 season to not disturb anyone with potential advertising being introduced around fright nights when the majority of visitors are around.

I feel we are all looking too far forward into the future at the moment, hints of what the dark ride will be won't be revealed for at least another half a year. As for construction matters, I reckon it will be kept hidden away so we will not be able to see any developments for a long time. I have a feeling the majority of work will be done during the closed season next year with theming being completed early March/April for a summer opening.

Of course no one knows much about it yet, although the partnership with Lionsgate leans towards a hunger games marketing scheme the dark ride could easily be anything. For now though there will be not much development going on and I am more interested in seeing what improvements thorpe have made for the upcoming season ahead! :)

Its a public footpath they can't close it! Ive seen quite a few locals walking there dogs down this path in the past few visits 

I wouldn't be surprised if the pathway to Canada creek will be inaccessible during the start of the season due to major works, considering that's the easiest option to get lots of work done for something very Central in the park.

I tweeted Thorpe Park yesterday and asked if we'll hear anything about the 2016 attraction soon, and their response was 'You will have to keep your eyes peeled'. 

I'm probably reading into that far too much, but with Doctor Who being one of the rumoured themes for the ride the first thing that came to mind was the Blink episode with the weeping angels. I assume that this attraction was planned as a counter-attack to the Paramount Park which will include BBC themed attractions, so it strikes me as odd that Thorpe would go with a BBC IP for this.

It's possible that Thorpe made an agreement with BBC Worldwide a year before Paramount made any agreements.

• 2 weeks later...
No details, but Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer told analysts this morning that he’s “actively looking at some development and thinking about prequel and sequel possibilities” for the Hunger Games franchise.

On another Hunger Games front, Feltheimer says that on July 1 an exhibition with “high-tech interactive galleries, never before seen content, hundreds of costumes and props” will begin a six-month run at Discovery Times Square.

Look for additional exhibitions — and possibly a theme park attraction. “We are in significant conversations with at least one theme park,” Feltheimer says. Lionsgate would have an up front guarantee and a piece of the ongoing proceeds. The smaller shows also offer “a lot of the upside. Once we built it once we can actually have one, two or three running at the same time. …It’s kind of a no-brainer.”

http://deadline.com/2015/02/mockingjay-2-imax-3d-1201367483/

I hope it's Thorpe!

I feel like they would have to be further than significant conversations at this stage but who knows! Looking forward to 2016 immensely :D

They aren't going to make it obvious, they can lie. Plenty of video game developer's lie, are vague or have said they don't have any plans for x, y and z and turn around a few months down the line and say that they're releasing a PS4 version with updated graphics or a port to PC.

It would make sense since they already have a deal with Lionsgate for SAW and they could extend it to Hunger Games. Seeing as Paramount UK is most likely coming, this would provide good competition and a strong, successful and well-known IP.

Edited by Will

To be honest, if the entire dark ride consisted of Haymitch on screen drinking and being generally fab, it would be the best dark ride ever...

The real answer Ryan, it'll probably follow the events of the Games, where we will be (for some reason) competing in it, coming face to face with death at various moments until we join Katniss in the over-arching storyline of

beating up the Capitol because they're awful

For someone (like me) who hasn't seen the films, what can we expect to see from a hunger games dark ride (if it happens)?

Pfft, I can't honestly think of anything - maybe a shooting dark ride with Katniss doing weapon training, something like Toy Story Mania.

Edited by Will