Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

You say that but then the smiler's station turned out to be a massive concrete lump with some yellow pipes on it. Nothing compared to the plans and I would regard that as an eye sore. I understand that they will have the trees ready but because it is an eye sore I don't believe is their justification. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the smiler wasn't required to replant trees, so you sort of missed the entire point.

And it not being a justification..? Seriously? theres no point adding attention to detail on parts of buildings people wont see (much of).

And please please please don't use an excuse because other big parks do it, because most of them (including disney) dont.

expedition-everest-high-quality-1-9.jpg

IMG_4909.JPG

You say that but then the smiler's station turned out to be a massive concrete lump with some yellow pipes on it. Nothing compared to the plans and I would regard that as an eye sore.

Alton Towers and Thorpe Park have different amounts of leeway they can have with the planning applications.  A general rule of thumb would be that Alton Towers is more restricted with what they can apply for, but have greater freedom once something is approved.  Thorpe, however, are much more free to apply for what they like - and will likely be approved - but once they have a planning application approved, they have to follow it to the letter.  

Look back at previous plans for the likes of Swarm and Saw.  Bar a couple of features which the council denied them for various reasons (namely the jetty and windmill respectively), the plans were a VERY accurate representation of what we saw in real life.  This will be no different.

I understand that they will have the trees ready but because it is an eye sore I don't believe is their justification.

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but this doesn't make sense to me...  What exactly is your point here?  

Part of the building isn't themed as well as the other part.  Why this is, who knows (probably budget, but hey-ho).  But the parts that are lesser themed will be made less obvious / concealed.  Hopefully they will be concealed from the offset, but it may be a case of they have to let the greenery grow out a bit first.. 

there aren't that many trees in the plans

Looked at the plans again - looks like I had gotten a bit confused between general greenery and trees.  Still, there will be some trees and greenery with the general aim of distracting / concealing the lesser themed parts of the building.  

Let's hope that the actual experience itself will mean that there's no need to fuss about a lesser themed building anyway! :P

To be fair on Cali, they don't have the space to do a full blown thing from external places...

As for all this horror facade talk, it only matters if such spots can be seen within the park in public areas, hence why the only one posted that is a real bad show is Potterland in the higher stakes regard...

Shed talk though :wub:

Thorpe Park's dark ride though is slap in the middle of the park. Its ug-erly posterior obscured only by another dark ride's ugly posterior (X).

Trees can only do half the job that smarter use of space and architecture could have done. Still it would have been a challenge because of the park's existing layout so they probably didn't want to bother on that front. So ugly shed arse jutting out in your path here we come!!

Maybe on the inside it'll be good?

To be fair, X doesn't pretend to be anything, never did even when it first opened and actually had effects and stuff... The design always drew the eye (until Storm Surge) towards it, worked quite well...

If only someone had decided at some point to change it to a theme that made actual sense and used the space well...

To be fair, X doesn't pretend to be anything, never did even when it first opened and actually had effects and stuff... The design always drew the eye (until Storm Surge) towards it, worked quite well...

If only someone had decided at some point to change it to a theme that made actual sense and used the space well...

I've always thought that the pyramid is painted in the wrong colours, blue and silver (just for an example) would look really good but it looks awful at the moment.

Ok Thorpe really need to release another ambiguous clue. We're looking at pictures of trees and plywood for goodness sake. 

Just like every other piece of construction...

It's ok, soon we'll have a steel shell to look at, and then the facade of the building, and then we'll have nothing to see on the inside apart from covert delivery trucks with the ride cars and track...

How exciting does that sound?

But the smiler wasn't required to replant trees, so you sort of missed the entire point.

And it not being a justification..? Seriously? theres no point adding attention to detail on parts of buildings people wont see (much of).

And please please please don't use an excuse because other big parks do it, because most of them (including disney) dont.

expedition-everest-high-quality-1-9.jpg

IMG_4909.JPG

4772663490_80fc6fe351_b.jpg

This just ruined one of the best Disney rides for me.

On the other hand, as long as the bare naked walls are hidden out of 'crucial' public areas or there are trees, terming etc. failing that, then I won't have a major problem with the ride's exterior. At the end of the day, Storm surge is worse!

This just ruined one of the best Disney rides for me.

On the other hand, as long as the bare naked walls are hidden out of 'crucial' public areas or there are trees, terming etc. failing that, then I won't have a major problem with the ride's exterior. At the end of the day, Storm surge is worse!

You can't see that area on the ride, in the park, on the way to the park. It doesn't ruin it at all.

That's the whole Disney thing, it's a 'stage'.. as long as (for the most part) it doesn't effect, or is too visible to the audience, then it's acceptable. Backstage at Disneyland Paris, you can really notice how half themed Main Street is, but from Main Street (the stage), it looks fantastic.

As Benin pointed out, the worst is The Forbidden Journey, for it's shocking white warehouse.

I've had another look at the plans and have concluded there are trees in certain places and what looks like hedges, they can be seen on the elevation plans of you can find them :) I will edit the 3D build to show this soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some people here need to stop whining and appreciate the genius of facades. It should make you go wow I never expected that, rather then oh that's a bummer. I've always thought they were clever.

and if you are going to use my name I'd really appreciate it if you spelt it correctly. its 2 o's and 2 k's.