Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

^To be fair, I think this is the first time ever I've seen someone on this forum make a comment which could be seen as ungrateful about a construction update.  Even then, I don't think the comment has anything to do with greatfulness or anything.

Speaking from a personal preference, I find videos of a selection of photos a bit annoying - YouTube is for videos, things like Photobucket and Flickr are for photos!  But that's a different topic.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the poured concrete (fire exit door was already open)

11831816_1190968654261894_18284923618873

Lots of concrete, pit was also filled with concrete and had wooden slats/beams in

11822637_1190968697595223_28401342057016

This is the only bit of the site for the building that needs to be concreted now

11831778_1190968674261892_33315452409817

There were also these black beam support things. Each with 4 holes at the bottom so looks like they could go on the screw things sticking out of the concrete. I'd say that we'll see something vertical quite soon.

After reading through Merlin's report on The Smiler incident and their reaction I found this snippet to be pretty interesting...

In addition, we felt it appropriate to significantly reduce UK theme park marketing activity

Either they originally intended to start marketing the ride sooner, or Merlin are just cruel. This has to be one of the most painful ride constructions in the UK in a looong time. We literally still know nothing, and yet there is a gigantic construction site right under our nose. 

It does indeed look as if the groundwork is advancing well and we'll see something vertical soon...

2016aug15construction9.jpg

Whilst this feels like the most drawn-out construction process that I've followed in the 10 years I've been providing updates on Total Thorpe Park, we should remember that at this stage in their respective builds, both the Swarm and Saw sites looked similarly dull, and both only started going vertical around September-time. I think it feels drawn-out because no-one really knows what they're building!

Fingers crossed this will prove to have similar timescales, and be ready in time for a March launch. Bring on the steel...

2016aug15construction5.jpg

Ooh, nice updates guys!

Whilst this feels like the most drawn-out construction process that I've followed in the 10 years I've been providing updates on Total Thorpe Park, we should remember that at this stage in their respective builds, both the Swarm and Saw sites looked similarly dull, and both only started going vertical around September-time. I think it feels drawn-out because no-one really knows what they're building!

Fingers crossed this will prove to have similar timescales, and be ready in time for a March launch. Bring on the steel...

It's interesting that you feel like this the most drawn-out construction at Thorpe.  Maybe it's because I haven't visited as often this year compared to other years when major construction was happening at Thorpe, but this feels a lot more pacey to me!  Being able to look at it from pretty much every angle, see deconstruction and groundwork take place quite up close has made it feel less drawn-out, especially compared to recent major projects.

in saying that though, I'm not so sure we'll see a March launch.  I just feel like if Thorpe really do want to keep this a secret (which does seem to be the case), they're not going to be able to do anything substantial of the inside until after the park closes.  And I'm not entirely sure if the closed season could be long enough to construct, theme, test and finish off that much of a ride!