Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

because regardless of how immersive it is, a ride that basically goes around on a flat track at a relatively slow speed, isn't what I look for when going to a theme park necessarily, I call it wasted (money) potential, I care about the ride itself being fun and thrilling, and then it would be nice to have themeing, but that's second priority.

It's not about getting creds, it's about what I enjoy. sorry I'm not like everyone else who can't get enough of a magical dark ride experience; I do enjoy them too usually... but I just can't stop thinking about the value for money in terms of thrills/enjoyment (for me) in comparison to a coaster, and that just ruins it for me, hence why unless it's like the mummy or contains thrilling elements then I'd probably find it boring. it's pointless me saying sorry, as I'm the one being spited by thorpe as they've chosen to build something that doesn't seem like it's going to appeal to me.

If it helps Dean, you've had 15 years of Thorpe building things purely for a thrill basis, maybe now is the time to try something a little different. Still I like the word spited, as if five major rollercoasters in ten years was the industry norm. 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited Thorpe for the first time in 2009... So in the last 6 years the investments have been pretty 'norm' as you would say.. So having a coaster back in 2012 the next one not being until probably at least 2019.. Then yeah it's quite a long time... They also need more flats as well with the dire reliability of some...

It's my opinion just like you have one... But just cause you lot don't agree with me, no need to make it look like I'm stupid and don't know what I'm talking about. Opinions are neither right or wrong, remember that.

I visited Thorpe for the first time in 2009... So in the last 6 years the investments have been pretty 'norm' as you would say.. So having a coaster back in 2012 the next one not being until probably at least 2019.. Then yeah it's quite a long time... They also need more flats as well with the dire reliability of some...

It's my opinion just like you have one... But just cause you lot don't agree with me, no need to make it look like I'm stupid and don't know what I'm talking about. Opinions are neither right or wrong, remember that.

Apart from those who like Baco...

Some interesting conversations in here.  For me, although I adore coasters, I also love everything else about theme parks, including dark rides.  So when I was wandering around Thorpe Park on Sunday during the 2 hours of torrential rain, getting thoroughly soaked, the parks lack of certain attractions became very apparent.  Not just the lack of dark rides, but lack of shows (other than the 4D) and lack of covered queuelines.  Oh how I would have welcomed the addition of a couple of dark rides / experiences to keep me dry.

This is Thorpes problem for me.  Being a "thrill" park full of coasters and flats is all well and good, but there has to be supporting attractions.  Unless the coasters are all World class, which hardly ever happens at a park, you find yourself riding them, just for the sake of riding them (well I do anyway).  TP is the only major park in the UK that doesn't have a non coaster dark ride.  Look at the continent and some of the major players ie Efteling, Phantasialand, Europa and they have the coasters, BUT have the supporting dark rides.  TP is also one of the only major parks that I can think of, that doesn't have a dedicated kids area.  (That's another topic for another day)

When dark rides are done well, they can add so much to a park.  They don't even have to be "thrilling" dark rides.  Maus au Chocolat for example at Phantasialand, is a wonderful ride; a ride type I would love to see in the UK.  Then you have the thrilling dark rides like Dark Castle at Busch Gardens which is wonderful.  When done well, they take you into a world which no coaster can.  The narrative, the attention to detail, all do something that a non-enclosed coaster cannot. 

This is why I am excited at seeing what Thorpe are installing for 2016.  I also hope that this is just the start for future dark ride experiences at the resort as in my mind, they need at least a couple more dark rides.  Not on the same scale as this, just build a warehouse and fill it with a family friendly indoor boat ride. 

This is why I am excited at seeing what Thorpe are installing for 2016.  I also hope that this is just the start for future dark ride experiences at the resort as in my mind, they need at least a couple more dark rides.  Not on the same scale as this, just build a warehouse and fill it with a family friendly indoor boat ride.

The thing is, Thorpe seem lack space for large scale rides/attractions... So I agree that Thorpe needs more non big thrill ride attractions... But potentially having one as a large scale (costliest ever), is just worrying for me how they spend their money, ; a family dark ride or two as a small/medium investment(s), would help the family ride situation, and giving people something to do when they want a break from coasters or the rain... And they would still have the other couple of large spaces around the park for big coasters in the future etc. but instead it now leaves me worried when well actually see another big coaster, or if another dark ride would take up some of the other available space at the park.

I know it's your opinion. That's all TPM is, a place of opinions and viewpoints. I'm throwing out the opposite view which is based in fact. Thorpe has had massive rollercoaster investment since 2000 and even though you've jumped into rides since 2009, you've still had massive rollercoaster investment compared to anything else. Would another rollercoaster be the answer to all of Thorpes problems? 

Let's wait and see the end result of the dark ride... And see if people think it was worth it. But I'm more concerned about the remaining spare space now being used for family rides and then essentially we will see no new thrill rides. I shouldn't be that shocked or disappointed about it... As a Q&A with the park revelealed my worst fears, that park has apparently plenty enough for thrill seekers and they will be focusing on the family market more, to widen their audience, so that really goes well with what to expect from the dark ride doesn't it :( regardless of who you are it's nice to have something new to try and every so often something that really appeals to you, so since 2009 we've had 2 mazes, storm surge, the swarm, angry birds land and X retheme... I've actually enjoyed all the investments, but there just seems so much more potential to what they could have done, and I'm glad they're pleasing the likes of other people with a dark ride as it needs to vary their investments... But the fact they haven't had a new flat ride since I've been to the park and a while before that, is annoying when it's what you like.

Would another rollercoaster be the answer to all of Thorpes problems? 

Whilst I'm not saying it would be the answer - id personally say a coaster with some sort of record would be a "safer" bet in comparison to a dark ride in regards to boosting attendances etc. Not that a dark ride is bad atall - its nice to see them take the risk.

I think Thorpe has reached its stage and time that it now requires a major ride that isn't a coaster, the park had their time of installing coasters (2002-2012) which one could call the coaster baby boom.

Seeing the amount of avenues thin out and there's a demand for more immersive experiences and the like, a dark ride is just what the park needs considering most of the park's supporting rides are flats (some of which are really on their last legs), a dark ride couldn't come sooner really.

Let's wait and see the end result of the dark ride... And see if people think it was worth it. But I'm more concerned about the remaining spare space now being used for family rides and then essentially we will see no new thrill rides. I shouldn't be that shocked or disappointed about it... As a Q&A with the park revelealed my worst fears, that park has apparently plenty enough for thrill seekers and they will be focusing on the family market more, to widen their audience, so that really goes well with what to expect from the dark ride doesn't it :( regardless of who you are it's nice to have something new to try and every so often something that really appeals to you, so since 2009 we've had 2 mazes, storm surge, the swarm, angry birds land and X retheme... I've actually enjoyed all the investments, but there just seems so much more potential to what they could have done, and I'm glad they're pleasing the likes of other people with a dark ride as it needs to vary their investments... But the fact they haven't had a new flat ride since I've been to the park and a while before that, is annoying when it's what you like.

Herein lies the crux of the matter...

Look at other parks who focused solely on the thrill market for many years (Six Flags Magic Mountain is my fave example), and what happened to them is what was happening to Thorpe, poor attendances, atmosphere and lots of other factors were resulting in some very low income years... I think the park actually realised that whilst they were getting loads of people in, these people weren't spending the money per head that was being expected...

When you look at the attendance report, which parks come out on top? If we ignore Disney due to the brand name and the Orlando parks then the top ones have rides for everyone... Cedar Point has about 2/3 kids areas and numerous kids rides intermingled with the likes of Dragster, Maverick and the like...

In Europe, it's even clearer that the parks with the highest figures are those who are all encompassing with their attractions... Europa combines the thrill market and family market, Efteling, Port Aventura, Liseberg, even Garda all combine the two sides of the coin because you need both to be a successful park...

Thorpe have realised this recently, hence the flurry of family based additions (even if the quality is arguable)... It's not necessarily going to completely stop them with the thrill market, but the issue is more towards that for years they told families to essentially sod off to Chessie and now they're desperate for them to come back to the park...

And still Thorpe have seen more investment that pretty much all the parks I've listed... Although that probably comes under quantity over quality and an apparent NEED to build something new every single year, even though most parks don't always do this and labelling it as a world's first whatever...

I think for a lot of enthusiasts, as you get older, you realise that out and out thrills are nothing compared to parks that get atmosphere and theming right... Hence why most American parks are actually quite dull, because (especially Cedar Fair or Six Flags) they are very, very samey...

Between 1999 and the opening of the wizarding world, Islands of Adventurs installed a family coaster and some teacups.

It still held up as one of, if not the best park in the world, because of the perfect balance of big thrill coasters thrilling flat ride (singular) amazing water rides, family and childrens rides and world class dark rides.

Thorpe have coasters and aging flats. Plus 3 of the most sorry and dismal water rides on earth.

They are trying to be something for everyone and have worked out that coaster investment can only go so far and relate to a certain audience.

I hope this dark ride is received well and prompts the park to transform itself into an all round decent theme park that looks aesthetically pleasing and has a good balance of rides for everybody.

I take my family to Florida for the theme parks and I want that quality here so that we can compete on the world theme park market.

A complete clean up is what it needs! The rebrand they did a year or so back hasn't really made much difference, the place is still dirty and not the most pleasant place to be!

Oh, and the wasps in the Inferno queue literally ruined my morning.

The rebrand was only half baked anyway. They still wear the uniform and have signs from the 'massive heads' era.

Can't really blame Thorpe for the wasps though, they are literally plaguing everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The thing is, Thorpe seem lack space for large scale rides/attractions... So I agree that Thorpe needs more non big thrill ride attractions... But potentially having one as a large scale (costliest ever), is just worrying for me how they spend their money, ; a family dark ride or two as a small/medium investment(s), would help the family ride situation, and giving people something to do when they want a break from coasters or the rain... And they would still have the other couple of large spaces around the park for big coasters in the future etc. but instead it now leaves me worried when well actually see another big coaster, or if another dark ride would take up some of the other available space at the park.

You see, I think there's still plenty of space large scale rides.  There's the unused island behind Swarm at the moment which, along with the old Treasure Island site, is huge.  Plenty of space for a coaster and decent non-coaster in my opinion.  The Shark Hotel won't be around forever either, and that site was previously marked for a coaster as well.  Some rides will likely be reaching the end of their life sooner rather than later, and some are already on borrowed time.  So I reckon there's still plenty of space for new future developments - large and small.  

I'd personally be surprised if another major dark ride comes before a major coaster though - turning into a family park means they still need a major, decent family coaster in my opinion.  So I wouldn't worry too much about it being a long time before a new major coaster comes to be honest - even if a few years sounds like a long time, it will fly by!

A complete clean up is what it needs! The rebrand they did a year or so back hasn't really made much difference, the place is still dirty and not the most pleasant place to be!

Agree about the rebrand - it kind of feels like the park in 2008/2009, when the thrill seeker brand was being pushed onto the park, but there was still a family feel in the posters and the like.  Then in 2010 they finally did the overhaul to get everything together.  But now we've got the opposite - there's still a few big heads and SHOUTY WRITING around (especially in Canada Creek), but the park are trying to focus on this nice 'Island Like No Other' thing.  

Do a nice brand overhaul and push the Island Like No Other thing more - a simple enough thing which would do wonders in my opinion.

Tbh some new Thrill Flats are needed. As soon as Slammer has another major issue that's gone,Rush is really showing it's age a bit too soon along with Quantum and Zodiac looking a bit knackered. Let's not forget the obvious Samurai just isn't the same. Vortex and Detonator are the only thrill flats still going strong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree that after WC16, a large scale family coaster is needed.

Also a complete removal of all of the water rides, to be replaced by much better equivalents.

Tidal wave is pointless, it is jurassic park river adventure ...... without the river ...... or the adventure, or the dinosaurs, decent theming or fun.

Loggers leap is just plain awful now.

Rumba rapids is neither exciting or themed.

Storm surge ........... enough said there.

Tbh some new Thrill Flats are needed. As soon as Slammer has another major issue that's gone,Rush is really showing it's age a bit too soon along with Quantum and Zodiac looking a bit knackered. Let's not forget the obvious Samurai just isn't the same. Vortex and Detonator are the only thrill flats still going strong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

More extremely limited-throughput rides with limited lifespans targeting the same limited market that gained Thorpe most of its current issues?

People are claiming that this building seems small.. Remember, those that watch Grand Designs will know that people always comment that their perfect dream house seems "small" when they start the foundations, but when it actually goes up they soon realise that was wrong and it's actually bigger than they planned. I think this ride will be it. Just look at the shear height of it.. We can't rule out it being multi level... So straight away you can double or even triple the floor size if that's the case...