Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there's enough height for there to be a roller coaster in there. It wouldn't get much momentum or anything, but they could certainly fit a roller coaster in there if that's the system they wanted to get people around the building.

I'd be surprised if they did put a coaster in there, but I don't think it can be ruled out to be honest!

No way in this world is that the case. The theme of a dark ride is absolutely integral to its design and success, they would not be committing millions without a very clear vision of the final product and with everything required signed off. That is obviously very different to a bloody great coaster where the theme will always be secondary, and to an extent expendable without too significant an impact.

I hope this is the case, it just seems strange as the original posters did look very different to these in design as well as the slogan.

I'm probably just thinking into it too much though, after all at this stage they are probably using marketing to keep people guessing rather than to reveal what the theme will actually be.

It states on the planning it is not a coaster.

Indeed - the planning documents infer at many points that Thorpe are building an indoor attraction / ride rather than a coaster for 2016:

Given a rollercoaster (anticipated to be the ‘2015 project’ but no longer coming forward for the 2016 season) was considered to be acceptable in transport/traffic terms, it can be concluded that the construction of a building – a modest construction project in comparison – will not have a more adverse impact on the highways network.

The site is located near the centre of the main island at Thorpe Park and on an area of higher ground... it is at a lower risk of flooding compared with many alternative sites, including island A, which was identified in the MTDP as one of two potential locations for the new 2016 Attraction when it was anticipated that the 2016 ride would comprise a new rollercoaster.

My view is that the attraction will highly likely be something new for the industry (and therefore marketable as such - Merlin have a good pedigree here). There's limited space for any substantial trackwork to go in there, which suggests screens / simulators etc. I'd be surprised if it's an Immersive Tunnel, because a - they're not very new (or especially "game changing", as Varney puts it), b - the current tunnel structure we can see doesn't look like the build for an Immersive Tunnel - these attractions use straight / flat walls, and c - Immersive Tunnels are not very immersive - it's pretty easy to spot the floor if you sit at the edges of the ride vehicle.

The attraction concept will be the first of its kind and due to the commercially sensitive nature of the development the branding and detailed internal concept will not be released before the launch.

Given that it might well be something genuinely new, it makes it hard to speculate as to what it is... but given the rumoured price tag, I don't think VR headsets, for example, are beyond the realms of possiblity.

Finally - flicking through the planning documents again, the Noise Assessment hints that we may not be looking at a March opening...

It is anticipated that construction will commence in 2015 with the new attraction being open to the public in summer of 2016.

The construction summary is weird, as it only ever feels like it makes reference to the construction of the building, and none of the ride hardware. Certainly odd.

I personally wouldn't rule out some form of tracked ride system, but certainly agree that it looks very unlikely. I agree with Ben that if we are in for something truly ground-breaking and game changing, all speculation is probably going to be fruitless. I certainly hope it is!

The part about the Noise Assessment saying being open by Summer 2016 has always made me curious. However, I've heard some staff mention how it will be open in March, though whether that's because they are as clueless as we are about the whole project and just going my assumption I don't know! I wonder if, after Smiler's construction issues, they're just playing it safe and saying summer just in case they have some problems over the next few months?

I knew 4 ABC drop towers were going in that shed from word go.

Anywho, Thorpe Park and BBC present, DRAGON'S DEN : MUTATION.

A pitch to the Dragon's goes horribly wrong when you accidentally mutate them into real dragon like creatures.

You must escape the warehouse before they take your invention, and your life.

Starring 

Lou Ferignou  as peter jones 

Dame Helen Mirren as Deborah Meaden

Gerard Butler as Duncan Bannatyne 

Omid djalili as Theo Pathitis

And

John Culshaw as a different 5th Dragon on every ride

That is what boredom does to ya I guess!!

^ Well I knew the smiler was going to be a 14 inversion gerstlauer infinity coaster with a ministry of joy theme, 16 seats and the dish washer concept was a lie, from the word go.

I also knew that th13teen was going to feature a vertical drop, and have no inversions, I knew oblivion was going to be a first of its kind and that nemesis was going to be the most intense ride in the world at the time of its opening, and I wasnt even born then.

But hey ho, I know everything.

I knew 4 ABC drop towers were going in that shed from word go.

It didn't take a genius to work that out though, did it? I'm pretty sure most people figured what it was.

Besides after the whole washing machine thing (which would have been a nightmare anyhow), I find it hard to believe any internet "facts" about Merlin additions haha. Let's just continue discussing this brand new red tin and pray whatever goes in it is half decent (which I think it might be, maybe! :L )

Not speculating it 'wont' be a coaster for the WC16 ride system, but I recall in the past Merlin have sourced existing coasters for noise assessments when it comes to installing new rides.

When Towers were planning Thirteen, they sourced Colossus for the assets,ent and Saw the ride when Smiler was built. Can't remember what they used for Saw & Swarm, but probably Air for Swarm.

Has the  tin can got any bigger?

I am 99.9% sure it will not be a coaster.

They already have a coaster in a pyramid shed.

Someone said that vr headsets were on a coaster in Europa park on BBC click, this was pretty cool, but was so much in it's infancy that I can say with a high degree of confidence that we will not be seeing this technology on wc16.

It may yet be a screen based shooter like justice league, this is personally what I think is the highest likelyhood behind being a new kind of immersive tunnel.

Hadn't got any bigger by Saturday.

Poking my head through the fence, initial impressions of the section that had been built, reminded me of an indoor stage, viewed from over by IAC, there's no way they'll fit a coaster in there, I still think this will turn out to be another 'experience' type attraction like IAC, more than anything else.

I've learnt to have low expectations :lol:

Well I have a feeling that if it's not a coaster then it could be a simulator. Just like the ones in Universal Studios Hollywood or Orlando for example The Simpsons Ride. 

I say this because:

1) the poster they put up next to the ride and on their social media about 'Minds Wanted' with an eye, must be a clue to it being something visual and mind-blowing, which is generally what a simulator is like. 

2) Didn't they mention something about a pre-show and then the actually attraction itself takes place, which again, is what usually happens with a simulator ride. 

But hey, who knows!! :rolleyes:

If I was in marketing, the August bank holiday would have been my campaign start point.

I would be giving a small bit of hype every few days from there.

Then a full reveal and hype during fright nights to get everybody back in 2016.

but hey what do I know, just have a degree in business and business management and run my own successful business