Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Chessington is getting a big development in 2 years it may well be there. Rides can take near/around 5 years to develop, so seeing as the official sfx concepts are only a couple years old its less likely to be at thorpe but something planned in the coming years from 2017 or so onwards.

^^ Chessington is getting a big development in 2 years it may well be there. Rides can take near/around 5 years to develop, so seeing as the official sfx concepts are only a couple years old its less likely to be at thorpe but something planned in the coming years from 2017 or so onwards.

The 5 years thing will include a large scope of things, from initial planning about what the park wants, where they want to put it, etc etc.  The rides themselves are closer to 2-3 years from first designs to opening.  Certainly the likes of Saw, Smiler and WC16 won't have taken 5 years of planning.

The sheer thought of Chessington getting a SFX coaster makes me want to cry though.  

I'm just hoping it won't be an immersive tunnel because for a major ride, it would be a bit of a let down, the photo op thing is strong proof and hope it won't be one.

I'm hoping for something like Ratstouille in all honesty, but the building shape and size says to me the ride as a whole could be a prototype altogether.

As for Chessington's next big thing, I reckon Tomb's days are numbered and as a result the ride will be leaving soon to be replaced with a new dark ride attraction (it's almost 30 now).

The attraction areai is a straight line. This is what makes me believe it is some form of immersive tunnel.

It may well be a new version of it though.

Tomb Blaster is an awful ride with guns so stiff you get a cramp that it must be on the chopping block. The show building is huge and could be utilised for an amazing dark ride. Hopefully WC16 is just to see how public response is to a major dark ride before putiting a lot of stock in going down that route for all their major parks.

I still pray for an amazing motion based simulator style ride but I don't think Merlin would risk that much mojey on oceaneering ride tech the first time around.

Regardless I will be there when it opens because this country is desperate forcworld class dark rides, I a, glad Thorpe have done this, rather than just put in a mediocre coaster with short track length.

I'm just hoping it won't be an immersive tunnel because for a major ride, it would be a bit of a let down, the photo op thing is strong proof and hope it won't be one.

I'm hoping for something like Ratstouille in all honesty, but the building shape and size says to me the ride as a whole could be a prototype altogether.

As for Chessington's next big thing, I reckon Tomb's days are numbered and as a result the ride will be leaving soon to be replaced with a new dark ride attraction (it's almost 30 now).

It's been 11 years since Chessie had a rollercoaster (Dragon's Fury 2004) and I would loved for them to get a SFX Coaster. I hope Tomb Blaster / Terror Tomb is going and gets replaced by something big-budget and amazing.

I don't think Thorpe are getting an SFX Coaster but I'm interested as to which UK Park is, hoping it's Chessie.

I'm allowed to say this was "supposed" to be Tomb Blaster's last season but obviously nothing ever goes to plan. But the plan was not for an "SFX coaster" to replace it.

Anyway it isn't Tomb Blaster's last season anymore, it would be logical to stagger dark ride developments, so let's see what happens...

What is an "SFX coaster" by the way? It sounds like a branded application of screen FX & simulator stuff that's already been done in one form or another.

An indoor coaster isn't going in the old 5D/Tomb's building unless it has a hugely expensive, extensive refit. I doubt a full size one could be built at any UK theme park anywhere. It's one thing to build a tall coaster track, it's another thing altogether to build a huge building to fit a big indoor coaster inside. They already had a very hard time concealing 5th Dimension, BubbleWorks, Haunted House and stuff, so if this SFX coaster isn't going into Thorpe, it will either be very small or no where operated by Merlin.

I'm allowed to say this was "supposed" to be Tomb Blaster's last season but obviously nothing ever goes to plan. But the plan was not for an "SFX coaster" to replace it.

Anyway it isn't Tomb Blaster's last season anymore, it would be logical to stagger dark ride developments, so let's see what happens...

What is an "SFX coaster" by the way? It sounds like a branded application of screen FX & simulator stuff that's already been done in one form or another.

An indoor coaster isn't going in the old 5D/Tomb's building unless it has a hugely expensive, extensive refit. I doubt a full size one could be built at any UK theme park anywhere. It's one thing to build a tall coaster track, it's another thing altogether to build a huge building to fit a big indoor coaster inside. They already had a very hard time concealing 5th Dimension, BubbleWorks, Haunted House and stuff, so if this SFX coaster isn't going into Thorpe, it will either be very small or no where operated by Merlin.

I'm shocked you don't know what an sfc coaster is! 

http://www.dynamicattractions.com/products/sfx-coaster/

It just looks like a dark ride rollercoaster, but branded by that one company in order to patent it. A park with their head screwed on could quite successfully pull off an equally thrilling product using an indoor rollercoaster with special effects, digital and practical animations and simulation, without using that company or their product. So if the SFX coaster order isn't going to a Merlin park, Merlin could still be getting something similar..? But most likely not with the thrilling rollercoaster track elements, and more traditional dark ride than rollercoaster.. 

This is all speculation and would obviously be a massive job. Probably a much bigger job to completely redesign a very bespoke building such as the 5D/Tomb one than to simply start from scratch like they have done with WC16.

I guess WC16 is a small version with little or no coaster, lots of simulation to make up for it, and will be a prototype plan to see if such a thing could also go into Chessington or Alton Towers.. 

LOL.

I wouldn't read too much into thing that have eye effects in, it's been a popular effect since The X Files used it in their title sequence and that was like what 15 years ago, if you started tying everything that's ever had an eye effect in similar to this you could associate the 'attraction' with anything from Eurosport to Continuum (SciFi series).

It's more likely that COD, Thorpe and BBC have all used the same production house for their promos and they've just tweaked the same base effect to match the clients requirements.

LOL.

I wouldn't read too much into thing that have eye effects in, it's been a popular effect since The X Files used it in their title sequence and that was like what 15 years ago, if you started tying everything that's ever had an eye effect in similar to this you could associate the 'attraction' with anything from Eurosport to Continuum (SciFi series).

It's more likely that COD, Thorpe and BBC have all used the same production house for their promos and they've just tweaked the same base effect to match the clients requirements.

X files are filming new episodes....not suggesting for one second it could be this though