Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

Yes, the one in hollywoods tallest point is a mid course air time hill? The building can't be much taller then 30 ft. (Just researched it, and the track peaks at about 30ft.)

We're looking at a 28 ft building, of course considering the fact that there is the possibility of digging down a little. a 30ft height is reasonable to suspect therefore, making a ride layout, at least, possibly having the chance of having the fun, punchful ride that is the squashed revenge of the mummy, hollywood.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I think the planning said they would dig 3 metres down in some places of the building, but if I remember correctly that was only under the preshow area?

I still find it hard to picture how big or small the building will be because I've only been in the arena when there's been a horror maze in there too! How would you say the size compares to that of Saw the Ride? (In terms of footprint)

(Little edit) - Oh and also if this new ride was a coaster, would they have to say that in the plans? Just wondering as even though it would all be concealed in the show building, I don't know how the planning system works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a coaster there would likely have been a noise report in there based off another ride (like Smiler had Saw as a basis for noise issues)...

Even though it's indoors, the noise could travel to the outside if there's loud music or effects... So a coaster would need to pretty much be implicated directly in the plans...

Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster here. As a big fan of dark rides I've been following news of this project closely and am very excited that we could finally be getting a next-gen dark ride in the UK  :) 

After seeing Mockingjay Part 1 last week I think The Hunger Games is very likely to be the IP for this ride. I agree that the exterior themeing looks a lot like District 12 and the entrance gate is very similar to the entrance of Victor's Village, and I can picture the 'Join The Mockingjay!' propaganda videos from the film playing as part of the pre-show/queue. I think there's a strong possibility that this ride will follow the Mockingjay plot and be based around the rebels fighting against the Capitol, and as this is due for 2016 they would be able to use visual elements from the Mockingjay Part 2 film.

I think Hunger Games would suit the park much better than Doctor Who, which I personally think would be a much better fit at Alton Towers. 

But, if you saw the third film especially, there are a few rusted warehouses such as the hospital in District 8, and the hob in district 12. And of course, district 13 is all but demolished at ground level, so could have a few old buildings rotting there as well. Or maybe I'm just trying to persuade myself this is a Hunger Games ride and it really won't be.

HOBBIT RIDE  please I mean it's a just finished IP and erm being chased by Smaug will be frightning

Sorry to bring disapointment but dont think there's any chance of it being a Hobbit IP as apparently it's too expensive. Even Univerdal couldn't afford the tag line I hear.

I think on the assumption an IP is used, Hunger Games & Dr Who sound likely choices considering merlin have connections with both company's currently (Cbeebies land, Saw & FN mazes).

But, if you saw the third film especially, there are a few rusted warehouses such as the hospital in District 8, and the hob in district 12. And of course, district 13 is all but demolished at ground level, so could have a few old buildings rotting there as well. Or maybe I'm just trying to persuade myself this is a Hunger Games ride and it really won't be.

The fact you have to point out these specific little warehouses in one of the films show how little impact the buildings have!

A warehouse doesn't say "wow".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been said elsewhere in the topic, but the chances of the interior actually looking like a warehouse are somewhat slim. Look at the plans submitted for The Smiler, neither the marmaliser or the station building looked anything like what we have today. The marmaliser in particular looked more like some sort of dark, alien being. Fairly different from the bright and colourful structure we have now. The IP could quite literally be anything.

With Smiler's application though they didn't have to specify certain things. Colours, styles etc weren't required to satisfy the council, they only had to put in the application due to the size of the building and certain high points. That's why they could get away with showing the ride to only have 8 loops in the plans to keep the secret a secret a little longer. Different situation with Thorpe, if they've said the building will look like that then it will look run down, it will use the colours and types of metals they've submitted to the council. That will be one of the conditions "the development shall not take place unless in complete accordance with the following approved plans....." which will include the buildings styles, theme, colours etc. So it will look like or very very similar to the plans if it is approved.

Hunger Games is an odd one, yes Merlin have the link at Thorpe with Lionsgate (but there's always rumours circulating that Lionsgate aren't happy blah blah blah) but Lionsgate or someone want to build a Hunger Games theme park, or a few attractions, or one of those touring things like Marvel are doing across USA. So Hunger Games won't be cheap at all! It's not a dead IP, and won't be for a while so whilst I think Thorpe would love Hunger Games would Merlin pay that much for it? Saw's IP was expensive enough and that wasn't even a huge huge IP in comparison to that of Hunger Games. Lionsgate won't let them or anyone have it cheaply. And if this project is large budget like the circulating £30 million I sure as hell hope they don't blow loads of that on an IP. Ride system/hardware and theming thanks. 

The Hobbit IP as well, I doubt Universal couldn't afford it, they have quite a bit of money. If they wanted it that much they'd get it, after all they have Harry Potter which must have cost an absolute fortune! Rumours did start about Middle Earth replacing Toon Lagoon but I think other projects popped up (Diagon Alley, King Kong, water park and whatever else is up their sleeves hopefully How To Train Your Dragon) so they just killed/shelved it. Who knows.

Now that the carousel is closed, THORPE seriously need to add more rides to Ranger Country

I also think they should add some more rides to Calypso Quay

But if THORPE dosen't want to be a family-park, then why do they still have Ranger Country

Now that the carousel is closed, THORPE seriously need to add more rides to Ranger Country

I also think they should add some more rides to Calypso Quay

But if THORPE dosen't want to be a family-park, then why do they still have Ranger Country

Whilst I do agree with you on this one, but as I am sure many of us on here can concur, the 'areas' as such do not really exist as they did some 10 years ago.  The only prominent area that still exists as it opened, is Amity Cove/Amity Speedway. I am not including Angry Birds in this because it's just not the same, nor is it that great in regards to depth of experience.

In essence, Thorpe don't really still 'have' ranger county, but another pathway through nothingness that adds nothing to any kind of experience. Anything that had any relation to being the Ranger County has long since gone from the park, the only relation left, being Mr Monkeys Banana Ride.  With additional rides, you could  say there is plenty of room in the former Ranger County vicinity, however the same cannot be said in the former Calypso Quay area without removing all the buildings.  

The last year the areas where actively known by their names was 2007, but Merlin took over Tussauds in 2007 and as of 2008, the areas where categorised down into Extreme Thrills, Thrilling And Fun and Young Thrills. 

It is a shame that areas are non-existent now. I do remember pre-Colossus, being able to walk into each area and knowing you've entered a separate area from the last. In my eyes Colossus was the downfall of the areas which eventually made the showcase of areas whittled down to a large scaled decaying mess.