Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

I'm pretty sure the robot arms are a made up ride on rct3 with ridiculously low throughputs...

There's one in england...

I've been on it - it's crazy, well the throughput is at least ;)

http://www.grandpier.co.uk/rides-attractions/robocoaster

I would like to see some incorporated into a theme park in the UK... would need lots of them - Dark Forest at Alton Towers maybe? not sure how they could fit into thorpe?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't expect the dark ride to be Doctor Who theme any more, BBC Worldwide have signed an agreement with Paramount http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11284388/BBC-to-open-theme-park-to-exploit-Doctor-Who-and-Top-Gear-brands.html

As I said elsewhere earlier...

As that is a self congratulatory release, designed no doubt to lure investors, it will be making the most of the details of this deal. There is one important word missing; 'exclusively'. If the deal they had stuck prevented the BBC selling the IP's elsewhere you can be pretty sure it would say so, I wouldn't say it discounts other developments elsewhere. This reads to me more like an agreement in principle rather than an actual deal, which would make sense considering the park is far from a certainty. The BBC would be nuts to hold off on all other potential revenue for so long on the off chance this thing actually goes ahead.

I am confident his announcement does not preclude other BBC rides happening elsewhere. We'll see...

So the council committee date for approval of the ride was yesterday.  Given that there's been no negative response from anyone, can only assume it was a positive result...hopefully we shall see soon!

On a more interesting note, I noticed this little thing on the one of the consultation responses from the Drainage people:

Beneath the building there is a proposed pit with the dimensions 32m (w) x 18.2m (l) x3.5m deep. This is to house one of the features of the new attraction and will only be accessed by staff for maintenance purposes.

Those width and length dimensions are pretty much identical to the 'Attraction Building Part I' that is labelled on the plans.  Make of that whatever you want!

Here we are expecting an IP, but who says there is going to be one?

The only likely one at the moment seems to be the Hunger Games because of Paramount doing a deal with the BBC (DW), Twilight being a **** series, Divergent and Maze Runner not being completed. So unless we are getting a Postman Pat: the Movie: the ride, its most likely going to be HG at the mo.

There's no reason why an IP such as Divergent could be used, indeed, it would be more logical to use an unfinished story IP at the potential height of popularity (though I'm sure Divergent did badly at the box office)...

It will be an IP though, because Merlin's vision of an USP for a dark ride won't relate to having ridiculous quality...

I don't see why an IP is such a big anticipation right now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if it has 'Thorpe Depot' in many areas of the concept art, then it's likely to be Thorpe's own concept! (hence why they state it'll be "uniquely themed") :)

In Merlin's eyes:

IPs are very easy to market and it makes it easier to draw people in.  In the case of a 'dark ride', the public my not necessarily know what that is (even enthusiasts seem to disagree, as was seen on here! :P ), which may make it more difficult to market than a roller coaster, say.  Sticking the IP on makes it easy to keep the ride itself a secret, and draws loads of people in.  

That's why people are expecting an IP - Merlin see it as an easy way to draw people in!  It's no secret really, and the logic behind it is reasonable, even if not everyone agrees!

As for the Thorpe Depot thing, the plans won't always be accurate with those sorts of things.  Plans for Swarm showed a sign on the bridge to the island saying 'Isle of St. Christopher'; something which of course didn't come to fruition.  At first, I did also think it would point towards an original concept, but it's not a guarantee.  The uniquely themed thing doesn't mean much really - Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts is a uniquely themed dark ride, as is Golden Nugget and Drayton Manor!  

The only likely one at the moment seems to be the Hunger Games because of Paramount doing a deal with the BBC (DW),

I wish people would stop saying the Paramount thing prevents this from being Dr Who, or any other BBC property for that matter. It really does not; it is not claiming to be exclusive and you can bet that whatever this is going up at Thorpe was signed on the line long before last week if it is an IP.

Speculating is fun, but lets not jump to conclusions based on facts that don't exist.

In Merlin's eyes:

IPs are very easy to market and it makes it easier to draw people in.  In the case of a 'dark ride', the public my not necessarily know what that is (even enthusiasts seem to disagree, as was seen on here! :P ), which may make it more difficult to market than a roller coaster, say.  Sticking the IP on makes it easy to keep the ride itself a secret, and draws loads of people in.  

That's why people are expecting an IP - Merlin see it as an easy way to draw people in!  It's no secret really, and the logic behind it is reasonable, even if not everyone agrees!

This is also why Disney haven't really built anything based on an original concept since Expedition Everest. The theme parks know that a ride based on a film already has fans that will come and see it.

Benin got in their first with a reply but to be honest, that area of the world is developing quickly whereas France, America and Japan have been hit hard by the financial crisis. It is noteworthy that Radiator Spring Racers and Ratatouille ride were still very expensive investments even if they are Pixar franchises and prove that IP's can be very good provided the ride and scenery is of good quality. 

I don't think the lack of IP has anything to do with the developing side of things, as the Shanghai Disney is getting a Tron themed coaster and a few other bits and bobs alongside it with IPs...

I think the more important thing is that Disney have always had IPs as part and parcel of their parks, Fantasyland being the main one, whilst their other areas have been for want of a word 'diluted' by more and more IPs (mainly Pixar based things really) they've had a consistent history of using them... Indeed, going to a Disney park and seeing no Disney IPs at all would be relatively daft in a way (see the changes Epcot received over the years to include the characters)...

They've even been using ones that were originally not Disney in Star Wars and Indiana, whereas some of their original concepts have become IPs in their own right in the modern world (Space Mountain/Big Thunder/Haunted Mansion/Pirates/etc)...

It's the same thing for places like Universal, who have always tended to use their own IPs within their parks...