Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we already knew it was gonna cost around £30 million? or have I just pulled that out of thin air? :blink:

That's just a rumour at the moment, though has come from a couple of different sources. Thorpe haven't given any indication whatsoever about the budget!

A £30 million dark ride can last just as long as a coaster! Just look at some of the Disney classics that are now icons like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion etc..

This country needs a decent dark ride so the people of England can see their potential and how they can be better than coasters as they offer such a different experience! People want fully immersive rides then dark rides are the answer. Thorpe doesn't need another large scale coaster for a few more years, they've got a solid set and grew that set in the space of 10 years! Towers have one more large coaster than Thorpe and did it over 20 years, that's why everyone feels Thorpe should always get new coasters because we're used to it that way.

I look forward to Merlin creating something with a huge budget that isn't a coaster as it's something we haven't seen them do. And marketing wise I hope it's similar to Smiler in getting the brand out their. Please be a unique theme created by Merlin then they can get it out to the work like Smiler. Creativity can work!

It will all come down to what's its themed around. That will determine the life of the dark ride before it needs a retheme or refurbishment.

If it's an IP, I can't see it lasting more than 10years depending on the choice of brand. If it's a good in-brand theme, I can see it lasting for 20-30years or so at the minimum.

£30 million orginal creative idea that is a major risk or £30 million dark ride with an IP which will much more likely get a return. I think that thorpe will struggle to convince the market that a dark ride is just as good if not better than a coaster. The swarm may have failed for many reasons but I am quite sure the current market that goes to thorpe would prefer a hyper coaster than a dark ride. I'm sure that opinion would change for many afterwards but they need to be able to convince people to go.

IPs really vary. Spiderman at IOA is both an amazing Dark ride technologically speaking and as an IP it is one that will never really die out. Kids will always know about Spiderman. Merlin's tendencies in IPs are buying ones that are nearing the end of their lives presumably because they are so much cheaper.

Let's use Smiler for this. Smiler (minus it's delays and technical faults in its first year) is Merlin's perfect investment. The marketing was completely new for a ride in the UK and that very simple but eye catching logo was plastered everywhere with little explanation to begin with. Now it's an IP in its own right with the merchandise being everywhere. You don't just see Smiler jumpers at other theme parks, I've seen a few around where I live when people are shopping etc. It is so well known not just because its got 14 loops but because it is a brand. Cost Merlin hardly anything to produce so more money could be spent on the ride and it's probably made a huge return.

If Smiler had been an IP coaster it'd have had a larger bill and would probably have had the same draw so in that sense wouldn't have made much more of a return.

All this talk about convincing people to go ride the dark ride, no matter what the theme Merlin's marketing will create something that makes most people want to go see what the hype is about. And lots of people (normal punters included) know about dark rides because of Florida and they are the future in my eyes due to the endless possibilities. Dark rides are expensive, £30 million sounds a lot but if they're going for a large IP you can imagine that won't come cheap and if they go for an old IP they'll just end up spending millions retheming it in a few years. Merlin should take a risk and create an amazing story, a unique brand with a logo that works well and sells.

Oh and as for hyper coasters, some of my friends have seen pictures of hyper coasters and go "Oh so it just goes up and down lots of times. No loops or anything?" So whilst they may be good coasters at heart they seemingly just do one thing repetitively in many of the general publics eyes.

One thing with IPs that I always think about is how Saw is one of Thorpe's (and Merlin's) 'best' attractions to date, in the sense of it created the biggest buzz and brought in a ton of guests (I'm pretty sure the park reached capacity on several days during the Easter holidays?).  With that fact there, it must be very tempting for them to keeping exploring other IPs.  As proven with Saw, if they get the right IP, it doesn't matter if the IP is current or nearing the end of its life outside the park, if it's big enough, it will work.

Despite Smiler's particular success as a brand, I'd assume investing a large sum of money into an IP + dark ride is seen as 'safer' than the same sum into a totally original concept (and that view probably hasn't been helped by Swarm's so-called failure either).  Chuck in the fact that, for this attraction, they want to keep everything as much a secret as physically possible, I'd be very surprised if the park didn't go for an IP for this - it just makes it so much easier to draw people in without saying what the attraction does.  Though, as ever, would love to be surprised!

It didn't really have the effect intended when it comes to increasing the number of people that go to the park, the number actually dropped considerably the year swarm was opened and it's mostly blamed on swarm being a 'failure' rather than looking at other reasons like rising ticket prices and the like

Why is Swarm considered a failure? It's a pretty good ride IMHO, could be a tad longer but so could most of the rides at Thorpe.

It was considered a failure at the time by the park / Merlin because it didn't create the expected uplift in visitors in its opening season. Never mind that it was Olympic year, the weather wasn't consistent, there were mistakes in the marketing, that the preceding seasons had been poor and dissuaded returns and many other things which influenced the gate. Never mind also that it had one of the highest rider approval ratings recorded, showing once people were on it they loved it so word would likely spread and people would be likely to return . The reaction, in terms of gate figure, wasn't instant so it will always be thought of as a failure, and this why we ended up with the crappy backwards seats to give them a gimmick to push and why the unique selling point is now held in higher regard than producing anything good.

Just shows what a short term mindset things are operated with, and why there is virtually nil investment on anything other than something new and major (ie marketable) rather than general improvements, which are so desperately required and would deliver long term results. It's all such a shame.