Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

Minimal space to make a queue line so a Cattle pen is the best option I still don't understand the hate.

A queue line should be more than just somewhere where people just move around a small long pathway merely waiting for a ride.

It should be at least one of the following:

1/ a place to bring people in to a story or setting. Examples, Duel, Hex,Oblivion,

2/ showcase and build up different elements of a ride. Examples, Nemesis, Colossus & Black Mamba

3/ Bring you through different themed rooms & settings (slightly similar to 1). Examples, Maus Au chocolate, Tower Of Terror & Dragon

A cattle pen is only acceptable if:

1/ it is the extended queue line and is only used on very busy days I.E space Mountain mission 2

2/ The ride has a high throughput I.E Ratatouiee

3/ the park isn't a leading park I.E Oakwood & Lightwater Valley

Ok, a cattle pen is the easiest & cheapest option for a ride queue, but it isn't generally nice to queue in especially on a hot busy day with disruptive crowds and the like. Unfortunately, most of Merlin's new rides seem to have cattle pen queues and only a few of them actually work, Smilers only does because you have the excitement of interacting with the ride above you & Atlantis because there's a short but immersive queue indoors (and it's generally good at throughputs).

Saw for me is generally the worst to queue in (but maybe that's supposed to be duty its torture theme).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok Maybe its a Dr Who spinoff rather than Dr Who itsef -

Madame Vastra possably?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_Vastra,_Jenny_Flint,_and_Strax

fits with both the perfume bottle and the teaser posters

This would be a great idea given how well received the characters are.  It would also give quite a bit of freedom for the story since they're not main characters.  It also solves the obvious problem about a Doctor Who themed attraction:  what happens when the actor playing the Doctor changes?  Focusing on a spin off means the actual Doctor character can have a very limited part in the story (say, in the pre show or something), making it easy to change as the character changes.

As for cattlepens, it's not wholly surprising that they've had to resort to one again given their options.  They're working from a blank landscape and don't have any natural interaction with the ride to consider, so a cattlepen queue with TVs and theming features (there looks to be space for at least 4 in this queue line), seems to be the case once again.  A cattlepen doesn't necessarily spell a terrible queue line, it just makes it a lot harder for it to be any fun.

It's all true though. They are designing something from scratch, they could do pretty much whatever they wanted, they choose to do this. Why? 

Cattle pens are the most effective way of holding people in a small area, Thorpe unfortunately don't have the premium of space on its side, especially around this area

This! Alton Towers I can sort of understand in some places, however even they have space issues in some areas! I'd rather have a cattlepen than people in a bundle outside the queue's entrance!

Benin hit the point with Colossus. They could have built a simple cattlemen but didn't. With a bit of imagination they could have done something here. Even a more elaborate cattle-pen like Tidal Wave, Vortex, Zodiac or Stealth would be preferable.

But comparing them queues to this one - they all look significantly shorter than what 2016 will have.

We're also missing the likelihood that the perfume bottle is a red-herring, or a cryptic clue. 

Isn't the advantage of a cattle pen the fact that you can completely modify it at whim? Sure a themed queue line helps reduce boredom a tiny bit but in reality you're still just going to stand there looking at your phone 90% of the wait. 

Only because there's naff all to look at in most badly done queue lines.  

It saddens me they can't do a cover for the cattle pen queue line and do it indoors.  What's to stop them having a bit of atmospheric lighting, wall displays and stuff in an indoor cattle pen queue line?  

Okay, this is weird.

The tank is already there; it was on the plans showing how the area looked last year:

PropaneTank_zps6quepyjq.jpg

Given it's proximity to the BBQ, and the fact there seems to be a pipe leading from it to the BBQ, would suggest it's for that.

The tank is then included in the first set of plans released back in October:

PropaneTank2_zps5g5c2isx.jpg

(This is just another view of Angelo's picture).  Very close to the queue line!

But in the latest set of plans which went online today, the propane tank has disappeared...

PropaneTank3_zpshoceg2bu.jpg

The 'pipe' can still be seen, but the propane tank is definitely gone (indeed, there's a queue there instead!).

Very odd; not sure what can be taken from it!

Credit to Lewis on TowersTimes for finding it

Merlin have filed two intriguing trademarks recently; 'Chronicles of London' was filed on the 23rd March and 'Automatons' was filed only a few days ago, on the 8th April. They have similar classifications to The Smiler's trademark, which would suggest that they are looking to use the names for attractions and merchandise.

Now there is obviously the suspicion that one of these will be the name of Thorpe's 2016 attraction, and with the codename of Project Whitechapel, 'Chronicles of London' could be seen to fit. Whereas 'Automatons' has a few extra classifications and is a name which could lend itself well to some sort of ride vehicle. However, Merlin have stated that there is new midway brand/attraction in the pipeline, so it is possible that either of these may be the name for that. It has also been established that Merlin have purchased the .co.uk and .com domains for 'chroniclesoflondon', which could be to set up a minisite for the 2016 attraction or a website for the midway attraction. Of course there's also the possibility that these names will be for attractions we aren't aware of yet, so we'll just have to wait and see...

At the moment this only add to the speculation, but neither of these trademarks seem to allude to an IP so we may be seeing an original concept next year. You'll be able to find details of the trademark applications on the 3rd page here.

I know this may seem far fetched, but I hope this company (http://www.creaturetechnology.com/exhibitions-themeparks/coming-soon/) who make state of the art animatronics, will be providing animatronics for this attraction. Reason behind me saying this is because of the automation thing and how that relates very much to clockwork and living machines, which leads into animatronics. The company, Creature Technology Company, have a page for theme parks and exhibitions, but they are in the process of waiting to announce what they will be making and for whom. Maybe thorpe will be their next point of work. 

I know this may seem far fetched, but I hope this company (http://www.creaturetechnology.com/exhibitions-themeparks/coming-soon/) who make state of the art animatronics, will be providing animatronics for this attraction. Reason behind me saying this is because of the automation thing and how that relates very much to clockwork and living machines, which leads into animatronics. The company, Creature Technology Company, have a page for theme parks and exhibitions, but they are in the process of waiting to announce what they will be making and for whom. Maybe thorpe will be their next point of work.

Their biggest/exciting project that they talk about on the website is the AA for the new King Kong attraction opening at Islands of Adventure.