Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 100% definitely not a maze.

This project is way too big for Merlin to just be a maze.

Taking a closer look at the revised plans, you can see some of the interior of the building; looks a lot like a station to me! There's almost certainly ride hardware going in there.

You can also see that the building will be split-level, with guests walking up to the ride station, as is the case with SAW.

2016revisedpredictedqueue.jpg

More over at Total Thorpe Park.

This project is way too big for Merlin to just be a maze.

Taking a closer look at the revised plans, you can see some of the interior of the building; looks a lot like a station to me! There's almost certainly ride hardware going in there.

You can also see that the building will be split-level, with guests walking up to the ride station, as is the case with SAW.

2016revisedpredictedqueue.jpg

More over at Total Thorpe Park.

Pre-show, Station, Chronicals of London - dare I say the black cab history ride at Tuassards?

Maybe with a modern twist of those virtual cars + screens being described earlier in thread earlier instead of the train like system used in Tuassards?

You see, with this whole Chronicles of London thing, it doesn't sound like something you'd hear at a theme park.  More specifically, it doesn't sound like something you'd hear as a ride at Thorpe.  "After we've done Colossus, let's go ride that Chronicles of London thing!"  Just doesn't sound...Thorpe-esque?

However, it does sound like an attraction / thing you'd hear at say the London Dungeons or Madame Tussauds.  It comes across as something a bit more educational in value in my mind; a sort of story of London's past.  Is it possible this is just a new bit for either of those attractions, or even a retheme of the Taxi ride at Madame Tussauds (I've never done it, so don't really know how possible it is)?

We did it in February, tbh I don't even remember what the ride is called but it certainly fits into the educational mantle you describe, certainly not a type of attraction you'd expect at Thorpe.

Having said that, I wouldn't say 'I'm a celeb' fits into the genre of Thorpe either and they've done that, both of those things are the kind of ride/experience you'd expect to see at Chessie or Legoland.

Considering a 'Chronicles Of London' theme, I just don't think they would be able to create the same amount of hype that there was for the Smiler and Th13teen.

Too much hype is a bad thing though. Th13teen's original marketing was awful: "World's first psychcoaster!", "People have to sign a waiver to ride", "No under 16s allowed", etc. It was way way way too over hyped for a family attraction. You don't want the same for this.

Anyway, for a dark ride, you want to build mystery and intrigue, not hype. You don't want to be hyped up before the ride, you want to be curious about it. Very different feelings and emotions.

Hmm that layout is interesting. Some other things caught my eye though rather than the queue..

There are 3 what look like platforms there. What I guess is that they are emergency evac points. So on that I drew arrows. I then thought. hmm wonder if the same ride car would fill them all so I drew the blue boxes. Then I thought well how would a car like that get from one to another. The red path is the only route I can think utilising the space as much as possable. That means it goes sideays and long ways for different places, not a bendy track.

Assumptions made during this scribble

1) there is 1 ride vehicle per loading platforms

2) it is all on one floor

3) the vehicles are the width of the gaps

4) there is a track and it isn't a walkthrough maze

5) the rectangles are stations and not holes or drainage or something else.

Untitled-1.png

I'm just wondering what the whole pre ride area could be, more what it is than what will happen in there. Sounds confusing, but if we follow the path to get around the building there are stairs when you exit the ride into the shop. There arent on the other hand stairs when you come in. Now presuming the load and unload is all on the same level, some form of getting you up to the 2nd level will need to happen at the beginning - I propse that the pre ride area could be an elevator of some sort.

40ce36ac4e4263d6d8eeaf47111624de.jpg

From what Lewis mentioned had been trademarked, and previous rumours of a Dr Who dark ride if you do a quick Google search there are a few links. Using the Dr Who Wikipedia there are a few interesting articles, the first is the "Clockwork Droid".

The latter crashed in Earth's distant past and remained hidden until the Victorian era when their control node tried to repair the ship with both organic and mechanic material from Victorian London to take them to the "promised land".

This would fit in with the teaser image and also the "Chronicles of London" trademark. They were also androids which could fit in with the Automaton trademark. In addition there is an article on the site for "Automatons" although with the definition of the word being "a self-operating machine" it is quite a general trademark.

I could be putting 2+2 together and making 5 though!

At first I thought Triotech what with the Wonder Mountain of Dragon thing at Canada's Wonderland
canadaswonderland.jpg
(Yeah this thing). But that was really cheap at 10 million dollars compared to the rumoured £30 million for this dark ride.

Dynamic would be amazing, they are spectacular and branching outside of Disney/Universal now so they've clearly become more affordable. Track wise, they've redone the track for Big Thunder Mountain at Paris, and Gringotts track is very different to the track that people saw from Dynamic a while back.

Gringotts track.

Gring3.png

Dynamic track posted.

FerrariWorld1.jpg

I doubt the large track is capable of doing the trick stuff and is purely for the coaster itself (remembering a large one of these has launched coaster segments). Dynamic are very diverse, they can cater to all needs, and even if it is an SFX doesn't mean it'll be a coaster. I've heard Gringotts has one coaster section that last 5 seconds or something. Other than the trick track sections, it might be able to run trackless depending how advance it is.