Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

Dynamic would be amazing, they are spectacular and branching outside of Disney/Universal now so they've clearly become more affordable. Track wise, they've redone the track for Big Thunder Mountain at Paris, and Gringotts track is very different to the track that people saw from Dynamic a while back.

Intamin did the track for Gringotts - but as with most things Disney / Universal, they have to keep it quiet. The whole ride was a combination of Intamin, Universal's own patented technology (from e.g. Spiderman), and Dynamic.

Nothing to say that the 2016 Thorpe ride couldn't be a combination of manufacturers too! Not sure the building is high enough for any serious coaster track going in there, though...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the clearance windows of the trains the maximum drop you could have in that building would be around 7m (22ft). Not really a big drop, even if they could make it 10m it's still not exactly a big thrill. Any trick track would take up a lot of room as well. I know the building seems large but in reality it's quite small. I just don't see how a decent sfx coaster could fit in there.

Gringotts... The whole ride was a combination of Intamin, Universal's own patented technology (from e.g. Spiderman), and Dynamic.

Nothing to say that the 2016 Thorpe ride couldn't be a combination of manufacturers too! Not sure the building is high enough for any serious coaster track going in there, though...

Universals on technology was itself developed with outside companies, largely by Oceaneering International, who now offer a very similar product independently.

That would be my favourite manafacturer, Oceaneering hardware is the closest we could possibly get to something like Spiderman.

Wonder Mountain's Guardian (Triotech) and Voyage to the iron Reef (Triotech), are the two attractions I think this will be closest too. Justice Leage: Battle of Metropolis (Oceaneering), seems to big school for Merlin. Remember they like to do everything on the cheap (See ZUFARI in general.. and additionally the AnimalLive animation they bigged up as Disney interactive quality HAHAHAHAHA).

I also wonder with the Simworx attraction going above the London Eye ticket hall and 4D theatre (Shrek's Bus thingy), that something from Simworx is another good bet for this.

Any further talk of a roller coaster is just pointless!

I was just looking around for dark ride concept art and this company call ETF show up with a new dark ride call interaction http://www.etf.nl/nl/etf-ride-systems/products/interaction/. I know that it doesn't look good to the thorpe park market but it has got torch(like the teaser logo),the ride is 1000 sqm big(the dark ride building is 2206 sqm) and I think Merlin can put a good theme around it to suit a teen audience. I know a may be barking up the wrong tree but ha it good to have a lot of idea at this time. p.s hear the article I got the idea formhttp://www.worldleisurejobs.com/detail.cfm?Pagetype=detail&subject=product&codeID=14129

(I am the same person who post it of towerstimes I just post it hear to see what TPM form have to say to the idea)

I have a feeling that I'm going to end up absolutely love dark rides like Peaj does after this attraction opens.

I'm already starting to love rapids so I'll probably be the same with dark rides.

Rapids are fantastic rides but the UK offerings just aren't great. You need to get yourself on Popeye at IOA, although the ones at Alton aren't too bad.

11149490_803665293022105_562210975628112

11150256_803643703024264_402059052349929

Source:  Theme Park Guide

Still nothing major happening on the site, but the first photo would seemingly confirm an Annual Passholder preview event for the ride, which - other than Saw - I don't think Merlin have done for any of their major new additions?

Really starting to get a look at the scale of the attraction. Much bigger than originally looked! 

Paramount Park.

This keeps getting brought up as a reason that WC16 can not be Dr Who (or any other BBC IP for that matter), but I have a few issues with it:

- WC16 was well down the planning route before the Paramount announcement was made. In fact they had already broken ground, if any IP deal is part of this that would be so pivital to the success of the development you can bet your life it was all signed up by this point.

- The Paramount deal is just a 'development agreement', not a contract, and described as a "first step towards a formal partnership between the corporation and the resort". Not exactly set in stone.

- The purpose of the BBC deal and announcement of it from Paramount at this stage is clearly to attract investors and help bring legitimacy to their plans, so they would be pushing it for all it's worth. Yet they don't mention or claim any sort of exclusivity of the IP use, something they clearly would if they could as that adds a hell of a lot of value to their proposals. From that it seems that for now at least there is nothing to preclude BBC licencing IPs elsewhere to other parks and attractions.

- I have no idea where this concept of the BBC putting millions in to Paramount park has come from? Happy to stand corrected but I've seen no news reports suggesting this is the case. BBC World Wide (the BBC commercial arm) would be looking to take money from the park, not put money into it! Effectively selling their brands for cash, they'll want it to be a success for the potential income I'm sure, but ultimately if they can get licencing money sooner and with more certainty from elsewhere I'm sure they will.

I don't profess to know anything about what is happening, but Dr Who was a strong rumour from the off, from a number of people some of whom are often reliable. Whether it is or not, discounting it entirely because of this Paramount business seems a bit misguided to me at the moment. We all know how Varney works when signing of big developments, I can't think of a way they would have got a big dark ride passed him without a big IP to promote it with, so which one if not this? I'd be pretty surprised if that recently registered London something or other mark was for this project