Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

Looking at those images, did they not put in any sort of rebar or something similar when they laid the concrete down for the arena floor? I'm surprised if there isn't any, though it is good news as they will be able to lift the arena floor quicker.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been reading the latest on WC16, loving all the hype!

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I personally think Merlin have done too much branded stuff recently (eg angry birds, I'm a celeb, CBeebies land, ice age 4d etc..) so I'd prefer to see an original concept for the next ride, especially after the swarm's success!

I personally love the idea of a Jack the Ripper theme, however I do think it's unlikely as it could cause a lot of controversy being a ride trivialising horrific true events.

I do think a sfx ride is on the cards and I would say a branded theme probably lends itself best to that kind of ride.

I think the Doctor Who speculation is interesting, and could really work for a sfx ride, however I don't think it fits with the hints we've been given. For example I don't think Doctor Who is dark enough to be a 'dark secret', especially when it comes to considering TPs reputation when it comes to darkness (ie saw the ride and fright nights)

Just my thoughts so far :)

Just had a thought! Can I put forward another idea (please don't hate me, this IS a joke!)

What if a 'dark secret' meant a POLdark secret?!?!

I for 1 wouldn't mind a ride that took you on a journey through the Cornish mines if it meant we got to see Aidan Turner in 4D ;D however this idea may have the fatal flaw in that it would only attract half of the population :')

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think Merlin have done too much branded stuff recently (eg angry birds, I'm a celeb, CBeebies land, ice age 4d etc..) so I'd prefer to see an original concept for the next ride, especially after the swarm's success!

Sadly it'll probably be branded as Merlin view The Swarm as a failure as the gate figures weren't good in 2012, however they haven't taken into account all the other factors such as the Olympics, recession etc.

I hope it's an original theme and not another IP.

They very much have taken that into account. Where are your sources?

I visited a forum at town hall in London 3 weeks ago and they very much expressed that the company as a whole were hit by the Olympics in the UK. They specifically said that whilst they were significantly surprised by the Olympics taking customers, so they were definitely aware of it. 

Everything done in that year was considered a disappointment in the UK. I talked to other business owners who attended the forum and all of them agreed that London was hit pretty hard by the Olympics. 

The only reason why the swarm was a disappointment was because they built something of a large significance on the wrong year, and they owned up to that. Although, unfortunately this was then continued with the fact they said it could've been better if they used an IP.

But please don't talk out of your backside. Know stuff before you post stuff.

They very much have taken that into account. Where are your sources?

I visited a forum at town hall in London 3 weeks ago and they very much expressed that the company as a whole were hit by the Olympics in the UK. They specifically said that whilst they were significantly surprised by the Olympics taking customers, so they were definitely aware of it.

Everything done in that year was considered a disappointment in the UK. I talked to other business owners who attended the forum and all of them agreed that London was hit pretty hard by the Olympics.

The only reason why the swarm was a disappointment was because they built something of a large significance on the wrong year, and they owned up to that. Although, unfortunately this was then continued with the fact they said it could've been better if they used an IP.

But please don't talk out of your backside. Know stuff before you post stuff.

My source is a senior manager at the park who told us that during a behind the scenes business speech (in the workshop near the dome), and he said that they regretted not giving it an IP because after the success of Saw they were shocked at The Swarm not bringing in as many people, and it was all down to them choosing their own theme in his eyes.

There was no mention of the Olympics, he was certain that it was all because it wasn't a recognised brand. Hence why I don't think they have considered the other factors behind it not bringing in as many customers as much as they should have.

Swarm was marketed amazingly, the park did nothing wrong with that in my eyes. It should have been a success but wasn't and that's not down to the lack of IP. The parks figures were even lower in 2013 than 2012, maybe it was more a flaw in the park overall like I don't know aiming it solely at thrill seekers. But oh look, they then changed their marketing strategy and ta da it looks a bit better for them attendance wise.

Saw was more of a success than they were expecting, like a lot more and it was always going to be difficult to surpass that (and they haven't attendance wise ever, 2009 was the highest attendance for the park closely followed by 2011 which fills you with confidence when you look at what they opened that year...)

Look at Towers and Smiler. That brand is literally everywhere. Merlin know they can create an iconic brand that is unique to them and with Oblivion Black Hole in Gardaland now they might be pushing their own in house IPs. Although unlikely to not be an IP you'd expect, Merlin will have heavily considered a unique theme for the ride as they can then spend more money on the ride itself.

Marketing is key to it all, if you make the public want it they'll get it or go and ride it no matter if it's a well known horror film or made up Smiling joy device with loops.

Yeah, 2011 was their best ever year attendance-wise I believe.  It's a bit difficult to judge, as I don't think Merlin release exact figures any more, so the ones published in things like the annual TEA Attendance Report aren't wholly accurate.

My source is a senior manager at the park who told us that during a behind the scenes business speech (in the workshop near the dome), and he said that they regretted not giving it an IP because after the success of Saw they were shocked at The Swarm not bringing in as many people, and it was all down to them choosing their own theme in his eyes.

There was no mention of the Olympics, he was certain that it was all because it wasn't a recognised brand. Hence why I don't think they have considered the other factors behind it not bringing in as many customers as much as they should have.

Varney shared a similar view at the recent nemesis 21st meet and greet, basically said Swarm's performance was disappointing overall (I.e. didn't bring in enough money) and Merlin were unlikely to build anymore wing coasters as a result.

Wardley also said that swapping the rear seats smacked of a cheap gimmick and desperation, or words to that effect.

I still feel like the 'Merlin will build no more wing riders' is a bit of a non-statement.

A wing rider wouldn't fit in at any Lego park or Chessington, and it seems unlikely that Alton would invest in one given their planning constraints and the like. Which rules out all other possible places for a wing rider instantaneously.

Swarm as a brand was weak, and probably not helped by having a diabolical shop to boot, it's a similar issue to Thirteen's branding, though there's a lot of that merch mincing about...

The difference between Smiler/Oblivio and anything prior to those is vast... The shops for those are packed out, and the sheer amount of tat is perfect for goons and the public alike, it would be disappointing for Merlin not to continue this trend, but I guess that's Thorpe's decision at the end of the day...

Should be something done on only one train, if it has to be done at all, or just saved for special events.

I agree but they wouldn't have done that because for all they knew it could've been really popular and one train with 2 backwards rows wouldn't have been enough for high demand

Whether Saw was easier to market or The Swarm's marketing was just off (I think it was), Saw just seemed to reach so much further. No one talked about The Swarm when it opened. I think part of the problem comes down to The Swarm's ride experience and theming completely contrasting.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, they advertised it as gut wrenching, terrifying and that sort of thing, it's not - that doesn't mean it's not a good ride, but the theme suggests intensity and terror, neither of which is offered by the coaster itself in my opinion (not to say that I don't like it).

Lots of activity on site today!

11263055_1137726192919474_39585508694618

Most importantly, a few shipping container portacabins for the workers have arrived! YAY!

11233000_1137726219586138_10333072982115

This fence is also down

11256841_1137726256252801_60910897221636

And he has a hose! Water effects confirmed

11078115_1137726156252811_47465149908953

They were actually just moving/installing more gates for site access so instead of getting out the barriers all the time, the gates can just open and close. like a level crossing

11072048_1137726179586142_83228317497886

look at them all working hard. Shame it's just a gate and not the actual dark ride. Oh well. Not like it could have delays or anything.

11219351_1137726106252816_59064377756037

Site is also very secure! High quality padlock right there!

10846205_1137726609586099_74740039579501

No block thing.

11108676_1137726062919487_73837019325894

No idea what that block is they've found and placed there. All in like 30 minutes!

11219149_1137726012919492_79024431869350

Guy on the right is from Merlin. He had a personalised branded hi vis!

11265590_1137725986252828_61940325565976

Now I wasn't sure what to make of these grey things to the right of the Webb digger. They are hollow cylindrical mould like things. Could they be footer moulds? I'm not sure so any ideas on what they could be would be ace!

10986848_1137726642919429_62628135700092

There was also a hose running through the Colossus queue with little wooden bridges installed for you to walk over.

10403432_1137726559586104_80399982969445

Was then heading up the Cabin fastpass route and away. Bridge was put here as well for it to run under, odd as it isn't a public area unless it's FN. Long term thing for construction of WC16 as the people working on this today were also on the construction site

11203005_1137726376252789_58538534529725

Bridge thing.

1507989_1137726312919462_135046008734699

And the planks of wood removed from the queue posts to get the hose through. Conveniently placed to start a fire...

But activity is lively, very lively! Lots of ground broken, Merlin people on site and padlocks! All very exciting