Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they were going to whack a clue in plain sight, the first part of that minds wanted page is a blinking eye. The pupil dialates, this could be an extreme clue, an expanding circle is reminiscent of going through a tunnel. My bet is very much on immersive tunnel.The interior structure is right. It would fit nicely in that building, maybe a few small scenes in a ride vehicle before entering the tunnel for a major finale. Just fueling speculation but right now. My money is on exactly that, a small tracked ride before entering an immersive 360 3d tunnel. Now all we need is a theme. Hopefully original, however the right IP could make for an awesome experience. If you haven't seen it already, check out fast and furious supercharged at universal hollywood. Done right they are mind blowing.

A UK based company by the name of Simworx, have an immersive tunnell attraction with features such as dropping and tilting floors air an water blasts, and claim they can design the sytem and film to any design and theme. They opened their first ride recently in moviepark Germany. The attraction is available in 30, 60or 90 seats for the tram used. Thorpe could be using simworx tunnell but utilising a different ride vehicle. My gut says this is a simworx ride. Of which they have many. Claiming to be able to create any immersive experience for any space. Look on their site at their AGV or COBRA dark rides.

Simworx added Angry Birds 4D to Thorpe Park, and have also provided a London Bus immersive Tunnel to the new Shreks adventure attraction in London, so one of these would easily fit into that building if you can get it into county hall. They have a strong relationship with Merlin and arw currently growing almost 100% in business size, having just merged with robocoaster. Everything is pointing in their direction. Immersive attractions are what they do, they can do virtually anything including tracked and trackless dark rides. Motion bases, Robocoasters tunnels 4d effects. I don't see anything else as a possibility at this point until we see hardware turning up. They have comfirmed they are in talks with UK theme parks as well as us theme parks to add new rides on their own website in an article about acquiring robocoaster. The article itself is interesting becausd if you ignore the main focus of it, which is about buying robocoaster, they brag about projects for merlin. http://www.simworx.co.uk/robocoaster-acquisition/

Yes, we get it that you think it's an Immersive Tunnel...

As much as I enjoyed the one in Germany, I kinda hope it isnt one, purely because it really would be a rather disappointing addition compared to, well, any dark ride type we could have...

Also, it doesn't seem to have the right flooring for the tunnel attraction, as there should be a space in the floor for the track/moving parts...

I did an immersive tunnel at Bobbejaanland, and whilst a fun ride (possibly the best attraction on park), the actual tunnel section is a bit underwhelming. It's a fun little experience, but I wouldn't want it to be a major ride at Thorpe. Plus, this tunnel section on the building seems a bit too small for an immersive tunnel in my opinion! And given how much other space they have in the building, I think it would be a bit anticlimactic.

I wouldn't mind it as a preshow, but that would be a lot of space, effort and time for a pre show.

Also, for reference, I believe it's been confirmed somewhere Lightwater Valley are getting an immersive tunnel from Simworx.

Where was that website found? I saw it was registered by Merlin on the 28th of July so it's quite new!

I'm just doing some digging - the website itself isn't actually on Google yet, but it's appearance on forums, twitter etc. are.

"Jart" wasn't the first poster of that link I can find - MarkC, a new user also with 1 post, posted it on TowersTimes at 8.12pm. Always suggests Merlin PR Meddling when a 1 post brand new user just happens to join a forum and then make a post with a link to a brand new website for a new attraction ;)

Nothing like a bit of brain alteration when visiting your local theme park is there. I wonder if Merlin have forgotten that theme parks can have scary rides with fun themes (Stealth, Tidal Wave) or are we just stuck in this cycle of scary ride = dark scary themes.

This is all said in mind that we still don't know what the theme is beyond brains and eyes.

I really like the concept, but then I really like magic, illusions and mind play etc (I wouldn't mind one bit if Derren Brown was the ride theme :P ) Yeah it's kinda dark but at the same time it doesn't have to, could be quite like the MoJ so sinister but light hearted and just eerily creepy. Abandoned warehouse theme could work to some supernatural things, weird goings on etc. Just linking this back to Whitechapel quickly, the TV show got very weird towards the end with lots of odd goings on like ghosts, supernatural stuff and the likes (yeah I doubt it but still). Shame it is unlikely to be an action adventure type of story though which is much more what I was hoping, but being a test subject could be quite fun.

As for the ride. The Simworx thing mentions one ride in the UK to be announced next year, the immersive tunnel at LWV presumably that one is. They talk about their Merlin projects because they do a lot with Merlin, doesn't mean they'll do everything. Immersive tunnels are good but it's not a large scale investment for a park like Thorpe, plus the building doesn't actually suit the needs of a tunnel, too many overarching things, not really wide enough and so on. They could incorporate something like one in though. What I'm hoping for is a ride system that goes through scenes, maybe a 30 person Simworx vehicle, go every 90 seconds, have a small tunnel section you go into then come out of and do other stuff. Throughput of 1200, that's alright. Also remember the load is at the top of attraction building one, you'll have to go down at some point so if it's all one ride then that could be interesting, if it's a few attractions stuck together to make an experience then yay to ABC drop towers. Oh and Vengeance will be in there somewhere too because they've got to use it eventually.

Yes, we get it that you think it's an Immersive Tunnel...

Can certainly see why, the are similarities in that pic and the structure that's going up. I've not done one, but it doesn't look enough for a major Thorpe ride. Still holding out for a Spiderman type ride system, but the building doesn't look big enough for much of one of them.

On the theme, why has everyone forgotten about this guy? I can't think of a particularly eye based aspect though, but early marketing is often about the feel of something rather than a direct representation of what the actual theme is.

a47e0fbf-40e3-4c24-aeba-75808cb47d1c.jpg

I don't believe this is just an immersive tunnel, but I do believe it will be the climax of the ride. I would LOVE an oceaneering ride system but as previously said, I do not see the space, unless spread over several floors with flawless elevator transport ala Transformers. I hope I am wrong. As for the theme. God knows at this point. With the BBC IP being awarded just down the road to the proposed swanscombe paramount park, Dr who is a possibility, but unlikely.

With the BBC IP being awarded just down the road to the proposed swanscombe paramount park, Dr who is a possibility, but unlikely.

Don't read too much / anything into that. It's not got an exclusivity to it, it's 'in principle' only. Also, this attraction was signed off, had planning and even had broken ground long before that deal came about, Thorpe would not have invested so heavily with out the IP deal being signed off and watertight already as it would be so intrinsic to the design and success of the attraction. If there even is an IP that is! Which there is. It's Dr Who.

That is interesting. Why have thorpe decided to use transparent fencing for this somewhat secret project, and the tunnel structure is interesting as well. Though it does indeed seem that this will be a large 4d ride which is very similar to the shrek bus ride in county hall. I hope there is more to this attraction, very much like sub-terra.

http://i0.wp.com/airgates.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/the-bus-e1391993187693.png

shrek bus ride, county hall

think it clearly involves a 4d tunnel, I am HOPING this is the climactic scene of a larger darkride experience. However I am feeling less hopeful as that tunnel has doubled in length in 24 hours.

I hope that building gets A LOT bigger.

I echo other people on here, when saying I am desperate for an oceaneering ride on par with spiderman here in the uk, but unfortunately I just don't think this is it. I want to be proved wrong.

This is likely some gimmicky worlds first hybrid ride. Simworx have just brought robocoaster ..... food for thought.

With all this talk of a "tunnel", and the previous talk of it being a London based ride (Whitechapel), could this be a London Underground themed section of the attraction. Some sort of mind control/illusion stuff going on in the underground? Just a theory I had :)