Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

With all this talk of a "tunnel", and the previous talk of it being a London based ride (Whitechapel), could this be a London Underground themed section of the attraction. Some sort of mind control/illusion stuff going on in the underground? Just a theory I had :)

Sounds interesting! And maybe this'll give them an opportunity to combine various lighting and smells with the experience; Dimly lit, along with the usual smell you'd get on the Underground. :)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one knows the budget of this thing. But you've got to see it as large. It's Thorpe's large investment. It is indeed instead of a roller coaster development. If it turns out to be just a 5 million immersive tunnel (which is what should be Merlin's medium year investments) then this will all be very overhyped. It's going to be big, for the park to be advertising it so soon it's got to be special in some way. They want people to know they're up to something, and they wouldn't do this much for a cheaper investment. 

It's been rumoured from day one this is Merlin's largest single investment in any park, all rumours but that's all we can go from. A solid dark ride is in the 30 million range which is by no means impossible. The plans state this thing will have a station, the station/load/offload is raised off the ground so there is definitely more to this than an immersive tunnel. Note the plans also state this is a first of its kind or something and they want to keep it a secret. Personally not following the immersive tunnel train, yeah something like it might be incorporated as like a scene but I feel there will be much more to it.

From the planning

Author: PCA Safety Ltd, 1 Kidderton Close, Brindley, Nantwich, CW5 8JU Project Title: WC16 Value of Project: £ 3m Location: Central area Thorpe Park, Staines Road, Chertsey Surrey, KT16 2NE Project Description: Installation of new themed ride within theme park

That appears to be the physical structure and not ride hardware, theming, IP's etc so doesn't really help much.. Wasn't there a powerpoint thing going round which had some rough numbers on it?

It's a little hard to tell from the photos how much has been built, but my guess is something like this...

WC167815_zpswzwqduly.jpg

(Apologises for the crude, low quality picture)

The yellow section appears the be the part of the building currently constructed, and the starred section is where I think this tunnel segment is.  There's still a lot more to be done - don't judge the attraction by a bit of the building!

Doing a little bit of research and thanks to Total Thorpe Park & Theme Park Guide images (credits to those lovely people), I've been able to tell which part of the building is currently being construction.

This is part of the main ride area which strengthens my idea, it is an immersive tunnel experience or something of that sort.

Note here the shape of the building:

tumblr_nsqi27Ailq1rx8d6to1_1280.png

Is this part of the building here: 

tumblr_nsqi27Ailq1rx8d6to2_1280.png

So it's not the pre show... But whatever Thorpe is doing... It's going to be one of the most exciting dark ride projects not only in the UK... but Europe!