Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

So what is up is around a third of the building. With the rest of the building on two floors (I think?!), and taking off a rough amount for station, queue and shop, it's about a quarter of the total floor-space the ride will be set on. I'm not sure it's easy to appreciate quite how big this is based on what's there now!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing a little bit of research and thanks to Total Thorpe Park & Theme Park Guide images (credits to those lovely people), I've been able to tell which part of the building is currently being construction.

So it's not the pre show... But whatever Thorpe is doing... It's going to be one of the most exciting dark ride projects not only in the UK... but Europe! 

Overhype much  ;) .

Tell ya what, if it even matches Ratatouille or Pirates of the Caribbean, I'll buy you a pint.

Nothing wrong with a well themed mad house as a dark ride. Hex is actually very anti climactic as there are far too many underthemed preshows. I hope this ride does not go down that route. I preferred the haunting at Drayton Manor, plus they let my 17 month old ride and he loved it.I really want a well paced, well themed dark ride with a mix of screens and physical sets .......... made by oceaneering. The UK is in need of decent dark ride investment. If I had my way I would close all uk merlin parks for a year and invest heavily in actually theming them!

Nothing wrong with a well themed mad house as a dark ride. Hex is actually very anti climactic as there are far too many underthemed preshows. I hope this ride does not go down that route. I preferred the haunting at Drayton Manor, plus they let my 17 month old ride and he loved it.I really want a well paced, well themed dark ride with a mix of screens and physical sets .......... made by oceaneering. The UK is in need of decent dark ride investment. If I had my way I would close all uk merlin parks for a year and invest heavily in actually theming them!

The comment about Hex I can just about take but then saying the Haunting is preferable... 

Overhype much  ;) .

Tell ya what, if it even matches Ratatouille or Pirates of the Caribbean, I'll buy you a pint.

Make it a cocktail and we've got ourselves a deal Mr 9!  ;)

In terms of excitement, I mean't because we've got no idea what it is... I'm not going in here expecting Transformers 2.0 UK edition, but I'm expecting something better than Sub-Terra.

Checked the structure out for myself today - it's not massive, but others here are right that's it's only 1/3 of the footprint of the ride - and the other 2/3rds of the building is 50% taller.

Other items of note:

10 points for guessing what the Access Tower is...

2016aug15construction13.jpg

And it looks like we're not the only ones producing construction updates... ;)

2016aug15construction21.jpg

Linky!

Like pluk, I'm expecting a long drawn out thing. Maybe a step up in marketing soon (more on park things maybe?), followed by loads of cryptic clues which actually will not be of any help whatsoever and we'll only see the relevance of them when the ride is revealed.

Sounds boring, but it will be enough to drive to enthusiast community crazy whilst keeping general public interested.

Of course I'll follow the construction of this ride... but as I said right from when I found out for a merlin park this ridiculous sum is going to be spent wasted on a dark ride; I'm not looking forward to this as much as I should / want to. I do love merlin with their marketing for big rides, and some of the themes/concepts they come up with, but honestly the basis of any major ride I mainly care about the ride hardware; and from the looks of the small(ish) bulding size, and the height, well lack of, I can't see anything worthwhile thrilling that would go in there. I know a lot of you have been praying for thorpe to get a dark ride, so slate me all you want for being so pessimistic about this, but it's probably just not going to be something that I'll experience and think wow, money well spent, well done Thorpe. I just won't... I'd love to be pleasantly surprised like I was with I'm a Celeb on preview night, so I'll keep my expectations low, and my hype meter to a minimum.