Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've personally never got where the Underground rumour came from? The only thing I've seen people use to back that up is the signs around the construction site are a circle with some writing through the centre, which looks like the Underground logo. But that's a very common style and feels like clutching at straws, at best.

When the arches were built the rumour cropped up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is a strobe light on saw?

It's dim, but just as you go down the drop, the spikes are usually hard to see and the strobe lights them up easier to see, in shock as you don't know they're there... but yeah haven't seen it working all year, plus the animation of the swinging axes are just horrendous now, it ruins the effect!

The trouble with Saw in particular is the engineers are pressed for time to get the ride ready on time.  If they notice an effect isn't working, they'll of course do their best to fix it, but it isn't always possible.  Saw has the trouble that engineers can't see all the effects either, so it's not until someone is on the ride that they'll necessarily know if an effect isn't working.  Some can be sorted whilst the ride is running (mostly things like the TVs and timers), but the bigger pieces are more difficult to do, and they won't close the ride to sort out a couple of effects.

tl;dr - It comes down to the seemingly usual problem at Thorpe of not enough engineers and not enough time.

When the arches were built the rumour cropped up.

I had heard the rumour since the signs went up, so it's been around for quite a while.  I just think it's people trying to make something out of nothing though!

So Air-Gatew have released an article from comments of one the guinea pigs for WC16 which has been described as disappointing and even offensive.

Link http://airgates.co.uk/2015/08/12/wc16-disappointing-and-offensive-says-thorpe-park-guinea-pig/

Taking this with a pinch of salt for now however the article suggest an IP is imminent (would've proffered an original idea IMO no IMA score then :( )

So Air-Gatew have released an article from comments of one the guinea pigs for WC16 which has been described as disappointing and even offensive.

Link http://airgates.co.uk/2015/08/12/wc16-disappointing-and-offensive-says-thorpe-park-guinea-pig/

Taking this with a pinch of salt for now however the article suggest an IP is imminent (would've proffered an original idea IMO no IMA score then :( )

All my money is now on a Jack the ripper theme after reading "The theme could be borderline [offensive] depending on how sensitive people are.”

To he honest this has made me more excited for what the ride is going to be if the person interviewed is telling the truth...

So suddenly everyone has forgotten about ministry of joy just as these hints (which stink of lies) point at it in a very broad way. I still don't think it will be but if this IS true then it could be a likely outcome, especailly considering the guy said it could be deemed offensive

Focus groups are used to help determine themes, general ride ideas and the like. They're not used to tell people everything about the ride and see what people think (are they?).

I'd be very surprised if this ride could be seen as offensive. With Thorpe focusing on the older family market, there's no way they'd risk offended people for the sake of a ride.

Bull.

Asylum offended people (after many years of operation)...

It might offend enthusiasts if it's dreadful...

At this early stage it's too easy to claim certain things about this ride, though we know Merlin love some good market research, and I'm sure a few people on here have before been pulled into some of these focus groups whilst on park... That much is probably actually true...

Everything beyond that, is hearsay...

The trouble with Saw in particular is the engineers are pressed for time to get the ride ready on time.  If they notice an effect isn't working, they'll of course do their best to fix it, but it isn't always possible.  Saw has the trouble that engineers can't see all the effects either, so it's not until someone is on the ride that they'll necessarily know if an effect isn't working.  Some can be sorted whilst the ride is running (mostly things like the TVs and timers), but the bigger pieces are more difficult to do, and they won't close the ride to sort out a couple of effects.

This isn't quite how effects maintenance works. The engineers will have posession of the ride from very early in the morning well-before it is handed over to the Rides team. This is the only time they really have to fix any effects, they don't possess the ride any other time of day. Highly doubt they test the effects in the morning, instead the Rides team 'should' note if any are broken and the tech team will note it down for the Tech services.

I'm certain all the effects in Saw are ridiculously easy to fix. Theme park effects are always designed so that they can be fixed by any mechanical engineer, and a bouncing pneumatic axe would be easy to maintain as there's almost nothing to go wrong. It's just getting access to high areas can restrict when the effects can be reached, and also Tech services generally put effects as the very last priority because the pressure is on to keep the rides safe and/or don't care about effects.

What I mean is, engineers won't try their best to fix effects because its not their priority, yet they usually are always very possible and easy to fix. It's the other circumstances that mean broken effects will regularly go unresolved.

But that's just the nature of a theme park really. Unless you get a dedicated team for Audio-Visuals and Effects.

“I’m pretty spot on at reading and predicting people’s behaviour, attitudes, etc and I think it’ll be disappointing . An anti-climax.”

“I can see why [Nick Varney would] say game changer. But from what I’m picturing with the details I was given it didn’t appeal to me, and I imagine he’s probably biased!”

Wouldn't trust this guy to review a box of chocolates. 

Still this does not change the fact that this is Merlin and they suck balls at creating dark rides.

To be fair, I know it's not perfect but Sub Terra isn't too bad is it? It's entertaining and exciting, as far as I know all the effects are still working and it's just a bit of a laugh? I hope WC16 is better but I wouldn't say Sub Terra "sucks balls" at all really. 

Sub Terra was salvaged (after it opened to the public - such bad form) from what was a creative catastrophe with no direction. It's a bit of a laugh now, but it's a bit of a laugh that requires a large amount of staff to run and has been a financial, H&S and operational problem ever since.

As a dark ride it was designed just terribly. The actual set work is fine and some of the effects quite cool, but there's not enough to justify the whole attraction because the studio team were not given nearly enough money. It's sadly very dysfunctional.

Sub Terra just about scrapes in as a filler attraction (although it now quite unpopular with the public), imagine what their attempt at a full size dark ride like this will be. Merlin will need a lot more experience and expertise to pull off WC16, something I'm sure they're pacing themselves with by outsourcing a lot more than usual. They may have got the hang of rollercoasters, but I hope they've learnt from all their industry mistakes with UK dark rides.