Project WC16 - New for 2016

JoshC.

Thorpe have decided to go down the dark ride route which is fine and I look forward to seeing what comes of it

I'm Not negative towards it. I was stating that it is highly highly likely to involve screens. I don't think screens are bad either, they can add details real items cant. You have taken it as negative when in reality I'm for the idea of a dark ride, especially if it is doctor who. I don't want another coaster, a dark ride will do the park some good. So before you all start having a go at me again about being negative at least hear my actual opinion.

All I was trying to get across is some sense. We are not going to get a £100m investment with full anamatroics it will be a compromise which will be interesting to see how it turns out.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merlin don't have the kind of money to invest in rides that aren't going to give them anything but a major return.

It seems to be easily forgotten that Merlin, believe it not, don't have some unlimited pool of cash at their disposal. They only made £130 million net profit last year, which when you consider that is split between 100 different attractions across the world, it isn't a lot at all.

They're not only trying to convince us to visit, but they're also trying to convince their investors that their new ride will be worth it.

I should imagine, after proven success with Saw and Cbeebies land, and lets not forget the absolutely staggering surge of custom that Fright Nights bought in this year with Lionsgate, it will be significantly easier to milk a lot more money out of their investors pockets than it would be trying to convince them that creating their own theme ala Swarm is the better path to take.

As for the IP issue, why do we need an IP just to be marketable, rather than creating a good attraction that markets itself through word of mouth? Don't think Phantasialand found a lack of IP an issue when marketing Maus au Chocolat... Indeed, the obsession of being easily marketable is more limiting and sounds where Merlin's flaws lie...

I think a potential difference between this and Maus is the ride system though.

Maus is a shooting dark ride and presumably is marketed like that.  If this ride isn't a shooter, and the park do successfully keep what's in the building a genuine secret, they're going to have sell the story first and foremost.  Using an IP makes it a lot easier to sell the story, and thus bringing in more crowds.  An original concept is still possible of course, but it just makes it more difficult to get that instant success.  And given Merlin's short-sightedness about wanting instant return and success, and the fact that this is a major new attraction, they're gonna want to minimise risks.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with the idea that IP is the best way to go by the way, but can see why they're exploring that route.  

Whilst I have faith that this 'particular' Merlin attraction will be great, I'd like to remind everyone that Merlin banged on about the 'mysterious dark ride section' of Saw.  Now If they considered that a dark ride, then we're in trouble. Saw was a MASSIVE missed opportunity.

The run down theme isn't working for me. I know that the finer detail can be changed, but the exterior is Merlin all over. We all joked that it's because it can be left for 30 years, whilst looking better with age, but it really is the truth now. Thorpe in particular, is going to look like a dump in 20 years, with everything 'themed' ruined (or left so.. Colossus...Inferno volcano..Rumba.. etc..)

The Vengeance ride that used to be at the London dungeons, how much space did that use up? I remember that another version of the ride system had animatronics and many other special and interesting effects. It was in Germany I think it was, where that high effect system was. Now talking about animatronics, this company are starting to go into the theme park business but have yet to mention any projects yet. Maybe Thorpe will be their first client, I hope.

EDIT: (For some reason I can't put a link to the website, but the name of the company is the Creature Technology Company)

Don't think anyone's posted it yet, but Thorpe have officially confirmed that the Carousel is just being removed, and not moved elsewhere - http://thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/03-11-2014/Resort-confirm-Carousel-Closure

It's a shame to see it go, especially given how many nods to the past it has, but I don't think it's really worth keeping it.  It hasn't fit in with the park for years and even the new family market is for families with older children; a carousel just doesn't fit in with it at all.  

It's a shame to see it go, especially given how many nods to the past it has, but I don't think it's really worth keeping it.  It hasn't fit in with the park for years and even the new family market is for families with older children; a carousel just doesn't fit in with it at all.  

Mixed emotions for me tbh. It brings me back to my childhood, especially in 2003...but seriously, a couple of those Rangers are beginning to creep me out! :blink:

And another classic pre-Tussaud's ride bites the dust.

Such a shame the ride is going as although it's not a particularly thrilling or exciting ride, it is very much a centrepiece of Thorpe's old days. Wonder if the ride is getting scrapped or going in storage as it would be nice to keep all the old original features it had.

I actually wonder how long Mr Monkeys has left, considering it will be the last ranger ride left now?

One thing I don't get though. All these rides like the Carousel, Fungle, Calgary Stampede were things with smallish footprints and relatively hidden. Bloody Depth Charge takes up a massive footprint and is such a poor first ride to be seen as you leave the dome. How the heck has that lasted so long when so many other 'better' rides have long since left. 

One thing I don't get though. All these rides like the Carousel, Fungle, Calgary Stampede were things with smallish footprints and relatively hidden. Bloody Depth Charge takes up a massive footprint and is such a poor first ride to be seen as you leave the dome. How the heck has that lasted so long when so many other 'better' rides have long since left. 

If you look at it like that storm surge has a massive footprint whilst its a rubbish ride and looks incredibly ugly yet they choose that....

A shame to see that Thorpe have such high disregard for their past. Personally I never rode the carousel but it's a shame to see them removing it when it could have easily been moved.

Oh come on, it's a carousel. It's not like they're painting The Swarm orange or adding awful trains and a ridiculous braking system to Nemesis Inferno now is it. If you cared enough, you'd have ridden it over your year(s) of visiting. 

I agree that it could easily be shifted to another location.

It's not fair to say that Thorpe have a high disregard for their past either. The park that keeps almost everything!

They've got 3 or 4 Fungle cars lying around in excellent condition, some of the old mascot heads, posters, signs, even the front of shuttle X5! Whilst the carousel will be leaving, we don't know what they'll do with the features on it. They'll probably trash the horses and keep the rangers and old ride vehicles where possible in the Thrills Workshop. I highly doubt they'll completely obliterate it all! Maybe Mr Rabbit can go rabid and try and kill you in three finale to the dark ride?

Plus, if they keep all the carousel pieces then they can redo Dead End win some more of the parks history :)