February Half Term 2015

Marc

Just went through the old Thrill Chill topic to remind myself of why it was stopped in the first place. I can't wait for all the complaining of closed rides and the disastrous effect it will have on the opening week in March. 

Or optimistically, the park did incredibly well back on that freezing day in 2013 with only Saw and Colossus not open. 

So who knows. 

This is awesome news, I think its safe to say that Colossus and Saw will be closed with what happened on the open meet in 2013 where both were closed all day when it was like 2 celsius all day. I think Stealth and and Swarm will definately be open, hopefully Slammer at detonator as well seeming as they were the last rides to close on that meet. Good news though hopefully the event will work this time :)

Is Brainiac returning for Feb Half term? If not it seems likely they might just block off the entire area leading to Colossus and Saw, all the way around to Inferno. That way they could continue with the work taking place around the arena unhindered, and restrict access to a huge chunk of their most maintenance prone rides, Saw and Colossus in the cold weather, Loggers probably shouldn't be open when its that cold, and then also Slammer and Samurai, which I guess need more work done than most rides.

This is pretty brave considering the last Feb openings. Either they have a super new engineering team, or they know the weather is going to be warm enough (for Thorpe's standards) to running the rides. I remember Stealth having an enormous line, as the ride line ups other main thrill open was Vortex. Not enough rides open. Too much downtime for those rides that were open, and not enough open food outlets, I believe was the bulk of it.

In fact tell a lie, GS had just as long a line as Stealth! :lol:

If it works out for them, then great! I'm all up for parks opening earlier, but it needs to be worth it.

Out of interest why and what would be the point in going if there was no big roller coasters or water rides open...

There would still be flats open, probably including Angry Birds Land (so the 4D cinema would be open), and of course Braniac Live.  Thorpe's coasters don't even run properly in the main season, so I can't imagine them having them open in February like they used to (although I could be wrong).

There would still be flats open, probably including the Dodgems and Detonator, and of course Braniac Live.  Thorpe's coasters don't even run properly in the main season, so I can't imagine them having them open in feb like they used to (although I could be wrong).

Dodgems, Detonator, Vortex, Zodiac, Quantum, Rush and Teacups would be enough for you then?  :)

Dodgems, Detonator, Vortex, Zodiac, Quantum, Rush and Teacups would be enough for you then?  :)

And maybe Slammer, that actually seems to run well in the cold (although it would probably still be having maintenence).  I don't mean just flats though, as I said X would probably be open as it's indoors, and Flying Fish is likely to be so that would be X, Flying Fish, Detonator, Vortex, Zodiac, Quantum, Rush, Teacups, Angry Birds 4D, possibly Slammer and possibly (but unlikely) Samurai.  Rush is also a possibility but I doubt it would have finished maintenance.

And maybe Slammer, that actually seems to run well in the cold (although it would probably still be having maintenence).  I don't mean just flats though, as I said X would probably be open as it's indoors, and Flying Fish is likely to be so that would be X, Flying Fish, Detonator, Vortex, Zodiac, Quantum, Rush, Teacups, Angry Birds 4D, possibly Slammer and possibly (but unlikely) Samurai.  Rush is also a possibility but I doubt it would have finished maintenance.

I think that shows my low regard for X and Flying Fish that I didn't even include them so apologies for that. I disagree though, Alton can get Nemesis and Air open so The Swarm and Inferno should be prime targets for getting open in February. For some reasons Stealth has always been able to open to (Rita hasn't) so I'd expect that to crop up too.

I think that shows my low regard for X and Flying Fish that I didn't even include them so apologies for that. I disagree though, Alton can get Nemesis and Air open so The Swarm and Inferno should be prime targets for getting open in February. For some reasons Stealth has always been able to open to (Rita hasn't) so I'd expect that to crop up too.

Yes there's no questioning that they should be open, but I don't think they will be.

Well Thorpe closed Saw last year and I wouldn't was barely snowing just cold, so I doubt that will make an apperance, I think its highly likely with the B&M's although I disagree with Jamie I definitely think they will have at least 1 big coaster open otherwise there isn't much point, unless they wanted to make it strictly family, and just open family rides, which I highly doubt will happen.

I've been on Rage in actual snow, so Eurofighters in general can operate in low temperatures. Saw shouldn't be completely discounted, unless someone knows anything specific about Thorpes model that makes it different?

When I did my backstage tour of Saw a few months back, the engineers said the ride cannot operate below 5 degrees; can't remember the exact reason why, but I think it was to do with some of the fluids used would just too cold and begin to freeze up.  So I would almost certainly discount it.  Why Rage can operate in the snow and cold temperatures I don't know though!

Given how well the park coped with the extremely cold temperatures and snow near the beginning of the 2013 season, I remain hopeful that we won't see any repeats from 2007/08/09.  Line up will of course depend on the park's maintenance schedule (which we know from this season needs improving), but I don't see why opening two of Swarm/Inferno/Stealth plus a mixture of flats and family rides sounds so unrealistic to some?