February Half Term 2015

Marc

I've been on Rage in actual snow, so Eurofighters in general can operate in low temperatures. Saw shouldn't be completely discounted, unless someone knows anything specific about Thorpes model that makes it different?

Thorpe cant even run their rides properly in the sun so the cold would make it worse.... You see adventure island do a better job of maintaince compared to Thorpe (not slagging off thorpe its just the truth!)

Thorpe cant even run their rides properly in the sun so the cold would make it worse.... You see adventure island do a better job of maintaince compared to Thorpe (not slagging off thorpe its just the truth!)

I don't think a great deal of people can actually have any opinion on the maintenance side of operations with the park. The TP Engineering team work excessively hard to ensure all rides are up and running as quickly as possible, and as much as possible. An example of this, where the engineering team worked throughout the night, well past their shift times, to get SAW up and running after the incident on it's opening day.

SAW cannot run in high wind speeds and cold weather due to the high risk of stalling. Which it has done many times, It's not the park's maintenance stopping them, it's the fact they don't want 8 people stalling and stuck in the cold for several hours. 

Not much point in this forum then.

No, no, you misunderstand me, people cannot comment on what they do not see. Other than in shutdown situations you will rarely see anyone from the engineering team because they are busy working in workshops. People obviously can say a ride breaks down a lot, but that isn't always due to poor maintenance, could be a faulty PLC which would be a manufacturing error not the parks.

I think people are too quick to blame the park on a lot of things without saying,

Do you know what, we do not the nature of this shutdown, there are thousands of error messages that could display or cause the ride to shut down,

Maybe engineering are aware of the issues, maybe they are in the process of fixing it as we speak,

Maybe it is a part of the ride that the manufacturer didn't display as a high risk area which needs checking on a regular basis,

Maybe it is a manufacturing fault that is causing maintenance issues.

But no, you are all quick to shoot down the park because you all enjoy picking at anything within the parks boundaries. And that could be said to any park in the world

See, its nice that they're making an effort to open early, but I'm worried about how successful it will be. Haven't the park learnt from their past experiences that FHT doesn't work? Surely they're just setting themselves up for failure?

To be fair in my experience apart from Open day which was usually the coldest - the park ran fine and got all the advertised rides open.

The problem they had was when it was 0/1 degrees and even rides like quantum struggled to make it all the way round!!  With a different selection of rides I dont see why it cant work. 

But no, you are all quick to shoot down the park because you all enjoy picking at anything within the parks boundaries. And that could be said to any park in the world

But Ricky, this is a forum dedicated to Thorpe Park. Go and visit a Disney forum and see just how every little part of Florida and Paris is criticised, critiqued and analysed. This is the very nature of a dedicated fanbase. If you're saying we should go to Thorpe, put on the rose tinted glasses and be happy at all the breakdowns, closures and one train rollercoasters then you are sadly mistaken. 

I mean lets face it, we live in a continent of some fantastic parks, some whether Thorpe likes it or not are competing with. Take a visit to Disneyland Paris or PortAventura and take note of how many Brits are around. If Thorpe's attendance figures are down then maybe they should start taking note of the criticism and actually improve standards. And they could begin with February opening and giving a money boost to engineering who I don't doubt work bloody hard.

To Ricky:

I think you take things too personally and it is not necessarily a bad thing. When people say on here that the maintenance or reliability isn't good enough, it is very rarely going to be the fault of the staff. I know that they have to get up at stupid hours to do testing every day but the cost of one extra member on the team to make sure rides can actually run at full capacity during peak times is not very much for the entire park. Similarly, I do not think it is fair in most cases to criticise individual staff as poor service is normally indicative of poor training, facilities or support. People get annoyed at Storm Surge here because the park brands, advertises and prices itself on the premium end of the theme park spectrum in the UK. Storm Surge doesn't lineup with that branding and it is one the first attractions visitors will see.

You may see people being overly critical of the park but for every annual pass regular crazy, there are going to be far more first time visitors and they should be able to experience every attraction. The rides are the main reason that people come to the park.

I think the February openings could go either way. The previous early openings have been pretty bad whereas keeping even Loggers open in the snow last year is impressive. 

:)

@chersno1boybrat: @THORPEPARK wondering I got a email earlier saying your open for February half term next year will merlin annual pass holders be ok to come?

@THORPEPARK: @chersno1boybrat Hi Lloyd, yes you will be able to, there will be a £5 cost for Standard Passholders and a free prebook entry for Premium :)

This raises more questions than it answers... I think a charge to visit is quite disgusting really considering it will be of a limited ride up and it really isn't a special event. It just makes me lead to think what greedy money suckers merlin are. Yes, they do specify that there will be an event charge for annual pass holders however half the season seems to be an event now. I'm wondering when they will start charging a £5 event fee for pass holders to visit during the summer holidays...

As an annual pass holder I should be considered as a loyal customer. I do not expect to be paying £10 to fright nights, £5 was acceptable however any higher is just beyond stupid; then when I get to fright nights I don't expect to be standing in a line for an hour to collect my annual pass ticket while all the normal tickets get in before me(what the hell happened to early access during fright nights!?). Nor do I expect to be paying to visit during a holiday when a reduced line up will be in operation as well as tonnes of people getting in for not that much more than me. I understood summer nights, however when only 2coasters are going to be open I really don't expect to pay an event fee. There will be reduced hours, reduced operations and likely long queues. As an annual pass holder I don't expect to be paying for this and I hope many will agree with me.

Please read this and sort this out thorpe, your charges are getting way out of hand. You charge so much already for everything; parking, fastrack etc so why this? Why make your most loyal customers to the park disappointed. There seems no logic behind it.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is what thorpe really think like: Money, money and more money.

It's a weird one.

Why would an Annual Pass holder pay £5 to get into a theme park with a reduced line up when they can wait five or so weeks and get into a full theme park for no extra cost?  Seems silly, doesn't it?  

But I can sorta see why they'd want to charge extra for AP holders.  Thorpe were selling TPAPs dirt cheap last year, and loads of people will have one no doubt.  I expect that there's plenty of Standard MAP holders that visit the park too.  So, to ensure that the park doesn't get too crowded and allow guests to have the best experience possible, charge a small fee for guests who who would normally get in for free, helping to regulate numbers and such.  I'm sure quite a lot of people will have no problem paying £5 to visit once during February half term; especially if the park make it seem like a bonus that they're open at this time of the year.

Of course, we don't know the full details of the half term event.  There could be other extras which could justify the extra charge for AP holders.  Guess we should just wait and see.!