February Half Term 2015

Marc

loyal customers that paid like £60 for an annual pass, which was a tenner on top of the on the day price... hardly loyal for paying that price.

The whole sense of having an annual pass is that you should be respected by the park for visiting regularly. The price is irrelevant, we have paid to be able to visit all year round and they are restricting that with endless event fees. We have to pay an extra £5 every time we visit to park the car anyway on top of the event fee we are getting each time we visit. We are the loyal customers and should be respected, its quite frankly disgusting.

What will the hours be? 10am-3pm?

What rides will be open? Maybe X, swarm, stealth and angry birds land?

How busy will it be? Likely very busy as it is a holiday season.

Will fastrack be on sale? Yes.

So do I really want to be paying £5 as an annual pass holder to be waiting an hour to get on rides and only get on 4rides in the day? No. I would much rather have a trip to clapham common February funfair where all rides are £1 and I am likely to get on more rides, for a cheaper price.

What will the hours be? 10am-3pm?

Previous February half term events at Thorpe were 10am-5pm (at least, that's what I remember them being - someone correct me if I'm wrong!).  Thorpe have had the best opening hours out of any Merlin park the past couple of seasons, don't see any reason why they won't open 10-5 this time around.

What rides will be open? Maybe X, swarm, stealth and angry birds land?

There's been speculation on this before, but I'm pretty confident more than that will be open.  On top of what you say, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Flying Fish, Depth Charge, Quantum, Zodiac and maybe even a couple of others open up.  There'll be Brainiac Live too.

How busy will it be? Likely very busy as it is a holiday season.

If previous years are anything to go by, it won't be *that* busy.  There definitely wasn't overly long queues in previous events (I can't remember queueing more than 20 minutes for any given ride during the Thrill Chill events.  Heck, even Stealth was had a 5 minute queue in the 2007 season, on one train!).  Given how Towers' February half term event is (not that busy), I expect that the park won't be particularly busy.

Will fastrack be on sale? Yes.

Probably will be on sale, yeah.  However, if it's not that busy, I doubt that will cause much trouble!  (As a side note, does anyone know if AT sell Fastrack during their Feb. half term event?)

So yeah, personally, I think you're looking at the very very worst case scenario there - don't be so pessimistic! :)

I can see why people are against this - as far as we know, February half term isn't exactly a special event (like FN and Summer Nights are).  Charging what's meant to be some of the park's more loyal guests extra to go in sounds shocking.  But as has been pointed out - are Thorpe AP holders really 'loyal' guests?  A TPAP was cheaper than visiting twice.  Is visiting a park 2 times in a 12 month period 'loyal'?  Not really, and especially not from a business perspective.  Standard MAP holders are more 'loyal' I guess, so definitely a stronger argument there for not charging for this event...

I'm still guessing the reason for this charge is to control guest numbers, given the large number of TPAP holders and (possibly) large number of Standard MAP holders visiting Thorpe.  I can certainly see the logic behind that.  But I can still see why some will be pretty annoyed by that.

The only explanation I can think is due to the fact it's a reduced line-up, more likely to hit capacity assuming it's lowered to fit in the with line-up and in order to keep the balance charge for AP holders.

I do agree rather a strange one, and probably a bad move on the parks behalf. I will enjoy reading the TPOFFICIAL & MAP Facebook pages over the coming weeks.

what about flying fish... they closed it early didn't they, surely that went alongside the rumours that it was being maintained ready for february half term event which is no longer a rumour?

Selected other rides, Storm in a Teacup, X is a must really, Depth charge maybe as you hardly get wet and well it is fun...

What other rides usually operate well in the cooler temperatures... I was hoping for Rush or Vortex, but they seem to have enough problems normally lol.

Considering that nearly all entrance tickets are discounted, a fair portion of the season is now a 'special event', and the real cost of a day out is retail and fastrack,  an annual pass is now a discount card really, isn't it?

I don't have one, so I don't really care, but this is pretty disgusting isn't it? You shouldn't have to study the small print to find that an annual pass doesn't get you into the park for, you know, an annum. 

I was going to avoid leaving posts and just read the forums but £5 for standard MAP holders is just... I dont have any words which can sum up my outrage. £100+ and they want more on top of that for something alton offers for free. It will be discount entry for everyone except the pass holders who suffer an infinite price rise. I am point blank disgusted with them. Why on earth should any pass holder have to pay to get into this "event". Its just a week of operation with reduced capacity and they want to charge there loyal customers for that.

Ill go back to the shadows now of just reading. I just need to get that off my chest.

I was going to avoid leaving posts and just read the forums but £5 for standard MAP holders is just... I dont have any words which can sum up my outrage. £100+ and they want more on top of that for something alton offers for free. It will be discount entry for everyone except the pass holders who suffer an infinite price rise. I am point blank disgusted with them. Why on earth should any pass holder have to pay to get into this "event". Its just a week of operation with reduced capacity and they want to charge there loyal customers for that.

Ill go back to the shadows now of just reading. I just need to get that off my chest.

100% agreed with this, it's madness.

They've now poated it on Facebook.. Let the complaining commence.

How I see it, is that the £5 charge will stop people from going and make it less busy for me... It's only a fiver though, if I had a standard pass I'd happily pay it.

Also Thorpe have stated that the £5 also guarantees entry to braniac live...?

Ah yes Braniac Live, the show that was free last year at Easter.  :rolleyes:

It's unacceptable for Thorpe to keep adding extra charges to passholders for things like this, an annual pass is an annual pass as far as I'm concerned and it's not very good to treat loyal customers like this.

It may only be a £5 but its the principle. How much of my money do they want. Every oportunity they can find to charge standard pass holder they use. £10 for fright night was a joke but £5 for reduced ride offerings is just taking... They can do the hell the want with standard annaul passes as I'm done with all of merlin. £5 for loyal customers to half a park which will have queues when its normally free. There is something wrong if you pay £5 for that.

Probably will be on sale, yeah.  However, if it's not that busy, I doubt that will cause much trouble!  (As a side note, does anyone know if AT sell Fastrack during their Feb. half term event?)

No Fastrack is available during FHT at AT. Considering Thorpe sell fastrack every day of the year, at the same levels regardless of busyness or one train operation, I imagine they'll try and sell it in Feb.

£5 for standard Passholders for about a quarter of the lineup is lols though.

They've now poated it on Facebook.. Let the complaining commence.

How I see it, is that the £5 charge will stop people from going and make it less busy for me... It's only a fiver though, if I had a standard pass I'd happily pay it.

Also Thorpe have stated that the £5 also guarantees entry to braniac live...?

This pretty much sums up the issue with Merlin's operations though, very happy to appeal to those willing to spend the money, yet for the majority of guests? Well you didn't buy Fastrack so it's your own fault...

And are people really saying that just because a Thorpe Annual Pass was cheap, anyone who purchased one can't be considered a loyal customer? Daft comment to make, as holding an Annual Pass for any park 90% of the time will make you a loyal customer (I'm discounting those who purchase passes in order to save money on holidays and the like, hell I currently own a German MAP and a DLP pass for those exact reasons, and I once held a Six Flags pass), because you live locally and plan to visit often... That in itself defines loyalty, returning to a park as a regular visitor over other parks locally and globally...

Thorpe stated that early pricing will be £12.50 too... Assuming £15 for the entire day, why is this sounding like value for money? Oh yeah, because the entire park is considered to be nearly £50...

At first, I was very excited for this, yes it may of been limited ride offerings, but Thorpe Park is open earlier!.. but like with EVERYTHING Merlin, I have a very bitter taste in my mouth now.

£5 charge for an event (The same price as Fright Nights, though I think it was £10 this year?) though not offering full ride availability is disgusting, I pay NOTHING for full ride availability, why should I be made to pay £5 for half a park? I don't get it...

It feels like the Standard Merlin Annual Pass card members get NO benefits at all when it comes to Thorpe, and going by the comments, people know it's free to get into Alton Towers, always has been... So there's alot of negativity towards being charged, I like to see what my money is going towards before I pay MORE to get into an event which should be free for loyal Merlin Annual Pass members.

And are people really saying that just because a Thorpe Annual Pass was cheap, anyone who purchased one can't be considered a loyal customer? Daft comment to make, as holding an Annual Pass for any park 90% of the time will make you a loyal customer (I'm discounting those who purchase passes in order to save money on holidays and the like, hell I currently own a German MAP and a DLP pass for those exact reasons, and I once held a Six Flags pass), because you live locally and plan to visit often... That in itself defines loyalty, returning to a park as a regular visitor over other parks locally and globally...

Can see when you're coming from here.  But given how Thorpe were marketing the TPAP this past season (essentially, 'If you're thinking of coming back, buy a TPAP.  And you get 20% of stuff too!!'), I wouldn't be surprised if many people bought them just because they were planning on making two trips, and wanted to save a bit of money.  I wouldn't exactly say those sorts of people are "loyal" - or at least, as loyal as people are making them out to be!

Then again, no doubt there's plenty of people who do own a TPAP and are loyal to the park (and, indeed, Standard MAP holders).  I do think it's just silly to make annual pass holders have to pay extra for something like this.  It seems that Thorpe are doing this to control numbers, but why can't they just make it a case of them having to prebook a ticket for free (like with Premium AP holders)?  Who knows.

I do hope that either this event is particularly special or, if not, that Thorpe make it a free event for Standards / TPAPs in the future - it's all well and good having good guest satisfaction for people in the park, but they've got to get people into the park first and foremost, and this may well drive some away...

The park has limited capacity so to put people off they annoy the people who are some of the most loyal. They seem to have no concept of guest satisfaction. There is no other way to describe what they have done other than idiotic. There is clearly pleanty of people who are very against the idea and in typical thorpe style they have ignored the comments. Does anyone have merlins complaint email rather than thorpes.

Agree with a lot of the points above. £10 for fright nights was pushing it, however you did get the mazes back then. £5 for a REDUCED line up with a 1/4 of the park open is absolutely ridiculous: Braniac live is not an excuse either, it was free this season during a holiday period yet they expect us to pay extra to see it now!?

Having it in the terms and conditions is NOT an excuse for adding endless charges. Annual pass holders are not being treated the way they should be. Annual pass holders should be given a yearly round entry to a park with free entry each time. They should not be adding endless charges regardless of an event or not, an 'event fee' is unacceptable. If they want to make it more expensive for annual pass guests, then they can simply lower the price of annual passes. But yet again, that would be losing them money as less people would buy it as it's a more expensive price.

Thorpe are going to get away with this, it's ridiculous. I have a right mind to not bother going, may even go to the chessington event instead. This is not a special event, it is a reduced line up. There is no justifiable action in charging extra for a reduced like up when you can experience the full line up a couple of weeks later or no price.

I hope thorpe reads this forums, I know they won't take action however I want them to realise how stupid their actions are. It is only a matter of time before they start losing customers with their ridiculous operations and customer services. It's time they sorted things out, the charges are going up and up.

To be honest I wouldn't be suprised if it's £10 to visit during Easter and summer holidays and £15 for fright nights for annual pass holders next season as well.

Taking away all the perks of being an annual pass holder are we? Oh wait. They are taking away the whole point of being an annual pass holder. An annual pass holder should be entitled to all year round entry and they are not giving that in any way possible.

The park has limited capacity so to put people off they annoy the people who are some of the most loyal. They seem to have no concept of guest satisfaction. There is no other way to describe what they have done other than idiotic. There is clearly pleanty of people who are very against the idea and in typical thorpe style they have ignored the comments. Does anyone have merlins complaint email rather than thorpes.

Sorry for the double post,

comments@merlinentertainments.biz

These can be emailed for issues about thorpe park. I reckon the above people are the best hope you have of getting a response, I went direct with alton towers before and got my issue resolved. If you want address the email to all of them and you are bound to get a response, if none of them can deal with the problem they will direct you elsewhere.

Is it possible that thorpe gain so many complaint emails they actually take action and remove this charge?