February Half Term 2015

Marc

Brainiac - Advertised a family show.

However what are family's actually meant to do there? Only 2 rides available for under 1.2m and one of them not re-ridable in a day. I'm not trying to be argumentative however would opening a few more kiddy rides really harm them that much...?

I think what people should remember is Thorpe's definition of family is 'adults and children over 8' (at least, that's what I gather from press releases and such).

I do think that whilst the line up is limited, there's enough for families within that age range for a good 3-4 hours (which admittedly isn't great).

The Annual Pass issues are far too confusing and the rules are bent to suit any attraction in any way possible - they really need someone in MAP to lay down the rules as to exactly what the parks can do, and make them stick to it for the sake of the integrity (and the saleability) of the pass. But that's for another topic.

The terms on the annual pass site seem quite simple to me. standard pass has restrictions on entry dates (mainly London in August & fright nights  plus a few other dates), premium has free parking and no restrictions.

The wording of standard and premium is less confusing that Disneyland California where the deluxe pass blacks out most Saturdays and the premium pass has no blackout dates (they also offer local resident passes with more blackouts)

Brainiac - Advertised a family show.

However what are family's actually meant to do there? Only 2 rides available for under 1.2m and one of them not re-ridable in a day. I'm not trying to be argumentative however would opening a few more kiddy rides really harm them that much...?

I agree there isn't enough with a 1.2m height restriction but Thorpe won't open any "kiddie" rides, they aren't aiming for that market at all. If you have kids under 1.1m tall then go to Legoland or Chessington. What Thorpe needs to add is family thrill attractions with a 1m to 1.4m height restriction, more of things like X, dodgems, teacups etc. The new dark ride for 2016 will help a lot too.

The terms on the annual pass site seem quite simple to me. standard pass has restrictions on entry dates (mainly London in August & fright nights  plus a few other dates), premium has free parking and no restrictions.

The wording of standard and premium is less confusing that Disneyland California where the deluxe pass blacks out most Saturdays and the premium pass has no blackout dates (they also offer local resident passes with more blackouts)

I didn't mean in terms of what they say to the public - I mean in terms of how the parks adopt the wording, therefore blocking out Feb Half Term at an attraction but not at others, discounts available at different outlets depending what park you're at... and then using the T&Cs to cover themselves against the rightly irritated guest. Have a blanket rule for every park (20% off F&B means 20% off all F&B regardless of promotions)

I didn't mean in terms of what they say to the public - I mean in terms of how the parks adopt the wording, therefore blocking out Feb Half Term at an attraction but not at others, discounts available at different outlets depending what park you're at... and then using the T&Cs to cover themselves against the rightly irritated guest. Have a blanket rule for every park (20% off F&B means 20% off all F&B regardless of promotions)

I've found the rules to be the same in all parks, 20% off everything that is full price. No discount on sale or otherwise reduced items. 10% on Lego. Just as it says here http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/perks.aspx

The only one I got really annoyed at was the kiosk in the Saw queue a few years ago. No discount as they didn't have a proper till.

I know what you mean about the half term thing, but again it does list about a booking fee at special events at Thorpe Park.

Repeating what's already said by people... Had a really nice, chilled day, plus the sun was out, even better! There is a clear need for more rides open though for the younger audience like Xand possibly quantum, as there iisn't enough for under 1.4m, plus personally I would have liked that little bit else to do, but still a great day and the braniac show was cool!

Stealth x3

The Swarm x3

Wild Hog Dodgems x3

Flying Fish x1

Depth Charge x1

Storm In A Teacup x1

Braniac Live x1

The problem is, whilst Thorpe have made it perfectly clear that there are only a very small number of rides open, the fact is... there appears barely enough to do in the day. Most people will go to Thorpe Park for a day out. Yet, given the fact that they are on Facebook asking 'what the highest ride count is of the week' - and pushing out figures of 30-40 on Stealth alone... it suggests the park is literally, empty. And if a park is empty, people will do the rides available even quicker than they would if there had been a 10-15 minute wait.

Now, I find myself getting a little bored by 2pm at Alton Towers during February (although a family would be better off, as the CBeebies rides and shows will keep them occupied for longer) - and rides open for my target market include Air, Nemesis, Blade, Duel, RMT, Sonic, Hex etc, open and an aquarium.

My concern is that such is the limiting nature of what Thorpe are offering, that it may result in a poorly attended event and then something that doesn't return next time.

Yesterday and the day before the weather was particularly good and the parks were busier across the board. I imagine today was much emptier due to worse weather.

I am still failing to see where they get their price structuring from though. It's £12.50 in advance or £20 on the door for 7 rides and a show. Whereas, down the road its £9 in advance or £14 on the door for 6 rides, several animal shows, meet and greets around the park, a sealife centre and a zoo at chessington.

Chessington's African adventures event proves popular year upon year, far simply as there is more to do for a cheaper price. Thorpe's pricing structure for this event is just simply not worth what you are getting on the day unfortunately.

Thorpe is still a good event and I will be down Saturday however I can see why the GP just can't be bothered to visit in the current operations.

(If queue times reach above 20-30minutes on Saturday, I will be expecting a two train operation as I will be paying an event fee to the park for a limited ride line-up).

I get the impression that Chessington would be busy even if the park was just open to walk around and all the animals were vanished...

It's no wonder Merlin don't invest in the park when the guests just come back regardless.

That's no excuse not to invest though, it's the classic "sod you, you'll come anyway" attitude.