February Half Term 2015

Marc

Yes I am. Ever since it became a multiple tier system, ive hated them for it as its resulted in the park becoming worse. I used to pay for passes before that but year on year they raise the price and you get less and less for the pass. I will admit that a lot of the hate I throw at them is exaggerated however when it comes to devaluing the passes it really does annoy me, even if I haven't paid for one. 

I agree that since Standard / Premium passes its made the whole thing a lot more complicated, the thing is they have to make the premium more attractive than the Standard or people will wonder why they are paying the extra for the Premium pass.

Whilst I know the parks are far from perfect, in my eyes £209 which is the price for a Premium is still extremely good value for money and is worth the extra £50 alone for the lack of restrictions. 

At the end of the day if you don't like the charge the easiest thing to do is not visit.

February half terms have allways been "events" even back when it was thrill chill - only difference is now we have multiple annual pass options of which the standard don't include these for free.

Thing is, this is all well and good but the only thing that doesn't make sense to me here is that they're charging standard AP holders to go in with only a small selection of attractions open when they can just go without the charge later in the season. It just seems like a strange move on their part and not very well thought out, it makes so little sense that I can imagine a lot of standard ap holders being angry and not going. I'm personally still debating it tbh :/

It is indeed an insane move from the park and in reality its just to limit the numbers going. They could have raised the price for normal guests but that could have resulted in more complaints so they have decided to put off a different group of people and the ones that do decided to go will be less likley to complain as they can just return for free later. Logical move from the park but one that I and others disagree with.

It is indeed an insane move from the park and in reality its just to limit the numbers going. They could have raised the price for normal guests but that could have resulted in more complaints so they have decided to put off a different group of people and the ones that do decided to go will be less likley to complain as they can just return for free later. Logical move from the park but one that I and others disagree with.

That's no excuse, as they could have made people prebook but at no extra cost to limit numbers.  It's just greed.

The only reason I will ever visit them again is so I can ride stealth and I will carry out that trip so merlin dont see a single penny.

I got my MAP from tesco vouchers last year,

Ah but you've already stumbled by providing them with the money in the first place by using a Tesco voucher!!!

I'd recommend you using Sun tickets (Which provides no money to Merlin) to enter the Theme Park. Then ride Stealth using all the priority passes from your excessive moaning to screw over guests trying to have a good time. Then go home. That's the way to ensure a great visit, and of course to upset the park as much as possible!

Or just don't be a silly sausage and don't visit. Like a fair few of us on here act upon without constantly reminding others :)

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but it will be 10-4 opening hours. Tickets are £12.50 early bird. Four 45 minute shows of Braniac will take place each day.

Premium pass holders book here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/brainiac-live-at-thorpe-park-resort-for-february-half-term-tickets-14955469211

Paid for tickets aren't available yet. https://www.thorpepark.com/events-experiences/events/brainiac-live/

• 2 weeks later...

Tickets are now on sale. Been scrolling through comments on facebook and most people are asking whether annual passes are allowed in or not.

It seems like everyone has got into their minds now that there are endless event charges, and therefore keep asking whether there is an event charge to visit. I don't have a problem with the queries, I just have a problem with the fact that it should be free to visit with a merlin pass in the first place.

The ride offering isn't exactly amazing at the moment and the weather could be terrible as you have to prebook. Also £5 is an absolute rip off. I would advise just waiting 3 weeks and go when everything is open and free to get into. Unless the open season is now an event.

Tbh, cynical as that thinking may be, I've been thinking the same thing!

And OMG imagine if that happened! Far fetched but tbh with all the new charges introduced I feel like they're a few steps away from having a "small entry fee" for ap holders :/

Is anyone actually going to go to this? I'm so in two minds about it. On the one hand I want to get back on some of those rides ASAP but simultaneously I feel the fee is steep for what's on offer and reliability may not be fab :/

Yep am quite looking forward to it tbh - Stealths one of my favourites too so cant wait to get back on that!

The fee don't affect me as I have a premium pass but personally wouldn't think twice about paying £5 - you cant get much with £5 now a days!

I really think people over-exaggerate what the Standard Pass will become... You're not included in two special events at Thorpe, free parking and some dates for the London attraction. It's not going to descend into things like just being a discount ticket or anything...

As for Feb half term, I'm hoping to visit, but it well be determined on factors like the full line up and how busy I am at the time. If I was living near Thorpe and had a Standard Pass, I would likely visit just the once, though.

The way I see the situation with the £5 surcharge is that Merlin need to bring extra value to the Premium pass because they probably just aren't selling enough, or something along those lines. 

We're only really seeing the smaller picture here because inherently we're all focused on Thorpe Park, and not the rest of the Merlin estate. As of late there seems to be a lot more of a push to unify their brands aggressively. Yes you can argue there is no surcharge for Alton Towers, but that has been the case for years, long before Merlin came in to the picture and the introduce a charge now would be far more detrimental. 

If however they can offer a huge portfolio of new events for "Free" rather than £5 they'd get from the Standard pass, the Premium pass starts to become a whole lot more appealing, when you consider how little it costs to upgrade, whilst also reminding you of the fact that Merlin have a multitude of events too. Its all a game of numbers really, and whether I agree or disagree with it is besides the point. In my eyes there should have been a lot more unity between the parks back when Tussaud's acquired them. Had we had this from the beginnings there would be a lot less hate, a lot less comparing and a lot less scrutiny over Merlin's decisions. 

Unification is something Merlin have needed to do a long time to breakthrough, because their brand visibility is terrible when you think about it. 

Maybe its because I've got a premium pass but I do agree theres been a tonne of overreaction to all of this.

When you purchase a Standard Merlin Pass its clear in the terms and conditions that your not granted access to special events at Thorpe Park - Whilst its true the charge isn't in place at towers, you could say the same for Fright Nights (and id much rather a 1 of charge for the event than thorpe charging per maze)

Merlin / Thorpe have to ensure theres value to buying a premium pass, if you want entry into these events pay the extra and buy a premium. 

Premium pass has value. Devaluing standard is not the way forward. There meant to make premium better. Simple as that. 

It just damages themselves making standard worse to make premium better. It splits the standard pass people into 2 groups. Those who will upgrade and those who dont want to upgrade (e.g cant afford it for a family of 4) and as a result get annoyed. Its a bad business practice as it annoys customers. Adding exclusive ride nights for premium would be so much better and would encourage so many more sales while at the same time standard wont get annoyed. 

I think my main point to this whole discussion is that however much Thorpe Park classify February Half Term as an "event", it will never be one with the current conditions and therefore it is not justifiable to charge a £5 fee.

I have stated my case and this argument seems to be going round and round in circles in several different topics.

----

:unsure:

----

As for comparing it to Alton it's a tough one, Alton's scheme seems to work much better. I would rather have a 30minute wait with a £7 charge per maze than a £10 charge overall and getting on one maze all night due to 4hour queues. And yes, there were 4 hour queues this year don't deny it; I was there on several occasions.

This is an event there is a extra show that lasts 45 mins which we don't know how good or bad it is yet and it is opening outside of normal hours. fastrack has not been confirmed to be sold during the week either that is three things happening which do not normaly occur during regular park openings that are positive therefore however much you complain and whine this is a special event. Would you not call summer nights a special event? that has a reduced line-up and I hope most people would agree with me when I say it is a fantastic event! And justifiable of the £5 Fee.

Three quick points here:

We do know what the show is like, it was on last easter for FREE.

Fastrack will be sold, It's Thorpe Park.

Summer nights is a completely different situation, its 3 hours of exclusive ride time on all the rollercoasters. There are barely any waits for rides and you also get a couple of night rides if you are lucky. February Half Term is reduced hours to a normal day, including a show which was free last year. It is ABL, Stealth and Swarm with selected flat rides. I would genuinely be shocked if Thorpe were not selling fastrack, its a public holiday which means it will be busy. I would expect long queues. This is the complete opposite to what summer nights was offering.