East USA trip planning

Hello everyone, going from mainly lurking on the forums to posting something serious.

Trying to be brave this coming year and adventure out to the USA from England for the first time since 1995 when my parents took me to Disney World!

In the past couple of years and I have gotten into playing pinball (hopefully some of you are familiar - think silver ball and flippers). There is a big pinball competition called 'Pinburgh' held each year in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; and this year it happens to be at a time of year when I can actually make it (July 2015).

I'm a teacher so have five weeks summer holiday from half way through July to the end of August. Therefore, as I'll be coming from England I'd like to extend my visit by doing a road trip of some theme parks around the area in the East. I've dreamt of visiting places like Cedar Point, Busch Gardens and the Six Flags parks for many years. Can you help me make this an awesome trip?

Here's my basic outline of the trip so far, though it may have to be cut down depending on cost - if anyone has any thoughts on the order, places to stay or any other tips, please advise:

Day 0 - Fly to New York (which NY airport do most people fly into from England? Is there even a choice?)
Day 1 - New York, touristy things like ferry past Statue of Liberty, Times Square; riding the Cyclone, Thunderbolt and Wonder Wheel
Day 2 - Six Flags New England
Day 3 - Dorney Park
Day 4 - Knoebels
Day 5 - Hersheypark
Day 6 - Kennywood
Day 7, Day 8, Day 9 - Pinburgh pinball competition @ Replay FX expo, David L Lawrence Convention Center, Pittsburgh
Day 10, Day 11 - Cedar Point (two days?)
Day 12 - Kings Island
Day 13 - Holiday World (and water park?)
Day 14 - Dollywood
Day 15 - Six Flags Over Georgia
Day 16 - Carowinds
Day 17 - Busch Gardens Williamsburg (I'd be interested in doing one of their behind the scenes coaster tours if on?)
Day 18 - Kings Dominion
Day 19 - Washington - touristy things like White House
Day 20 - Six Flags America
Day 21, Day 22 - Six Flags Great Adventure (two days?)
Day 23 - Back in New York for flight home to England

I based this the assumption that flights and car hire would work out cheaper starting and ending in the same place - would this be true? I also assume the flight from England to New York is direct.
The other option would be to fly into Pennsylvania (probably not a direct flight?) and start and finish the trip there. This might reduce the number of days I need a hire car by 3. Any thoughts?

General questions - if anyone has any answers/advice that would be awesome:
*Car hire? Has anyone got tips for hiring in the USA?
*Is it best to drive in the mornings to a new theme park each day and then have a nearby hotel for overnight, rather than driving each night to the next destination? How does it work with checking into accommodation?
*Where to stay? Would you have a different place each night? Or can some of these places have a central hotel 'base' that you could drive out from?
*How much would you budget for accommodation each night?
*How much would you budget for food each day? I'm not a big eater at all!
*What queue-busting options are there at each park? How much should I budget for them?

I appreciate this is a bucket load of questions. But I would be eternally grateful if anyone can provide any help to make this trip amazing!

Thanks,
Andrew

I cannot help but feel that you'd need a rest day or two, some of the distances are ridiculous (especially Indiana to Tennessee)...

I would recommend a Six Flags annual pass and even a Cedar Fair one too, that'll save you money for certain...

I'd see if you can find central locations for hotels as well, otherwise you're living out a suitcase and on constant move... Can't imagine that being fun...

Hi Dragon2000, have a look at this...... https://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/store/season-passes .

Take heed of what Benin suggests, and I would suggest you make those rest days, or the touristy days at the weekend, when there are more people in the parks.

I don't think it's worth doing two days at 6 flags Gt. Adventure, if you have that many days, another park would be better for that. (IMO)

Certainly worth you combining the accommodation, as it gives a central point to several sites, saves you leaving gear in the car too often; sadly some members of another club got hit in their hire car by doing that.

Have a look on the search on this and other coaster club sites to build up your information.

good luck

SF great adventure doesn't need 2 days. One thing to be careful of is if it rains then most parks just close everything. Cedar point if your wanting to get on all the coasters you will need 2 days. Also america is huge. It will take hours to drive between each park and after a day of running around a park it may not be something your wanting to do. I would suggest pacing it out a bit more. Otherwise at the end of day 21 you will be dead. What you could do is hire a camper van that way you wont need to pay anywhere near as much for accommodation. There just a few ideas. But my main tip would be is check the distances between each park as I think you will find that they will take longer to drive than you think.