'I'm a Celebrity' Attraction - 2015

JoshC.

So it's official, this season we'll see a 'I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here' themed attraction:  http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/12-02-2015/I'm-a-Celebrity-Attraction-for-2015

Warning:  The article containers some construction pictures and possible small spoilers.

A quick run down:

-Opens March 27th

-Located in the Hideaway

-Quite a few special effects

-Family friendly

-Retheming of the Calypso BBQ to the 'Bush BBQ'

---

I must admit, I'm a Celebrity was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine until a couple of years ago (when I just couldn't be bothered to watch it).  I remain a bit sceptical about all of this, but I think it could turn out to be a neat little addition.

I really hope this isn't the end of Studio as I found it the best maze during Fright Nights very slightly beating Cabin (Saw Alive for face it alone though).

I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed by this new addition, it just feels shoe horned really just to keep visitor numbers up this year before the big dark ride next year.

Suppose we'll have to wait and see and on the plus side it's another indoor attraction (which the Park have severely lacked until recently) and despite being based off a reality show, could be a very good experience.

Part of me wants to be bitterly disappointed but then my expectations are at an all time low anyway. 

So to put a positive spin on it, I'm sure the target audience (whatever that is these days) will lap it up.

Just for conjecture, I wonder if this will have any bearing on the theme of the 2016 dark ride. Or will this shameless IP not even make it till 2016.

This post represents my thought pattern in regards to I'm a Celeb at Thorpe. One of bemusement, one of horror that they are getting an ITV IP.

Thorpe do like using out of date IP's don't they: Saw, Angry Birds and now this.

Is it out of date though?

According to Wikipedia (don't shoot me for quoting that! :P ), it had it's contract renewed for another 3 years last year, and the average viewership has remained pretty consistent (and if anything, has slightly increased).  It might attract the biggest celebrities these days, but then again, it very rarely did.

Just for conjecture, I wonder if this will have any bearing on the theme of the 2016 dark ride. Or will this shameless IP not even make it till 2016.

This post represents my thought pattern in regards to I'm a Celeb at Thorpe. One of bemusement, one of horror that they are getting an ITV IP.

The ITV IP is a good point.  One has to wonder if we'll see any "breaks" midway during the attraction, reminded us to go to Iceland because Kerry Katona does...

Or, conjecture on behalf, if 2016 does end up being an IP, does this now rule out a BBC IP?  So a BBC and ITV IP being able to coexist in the same park, let alone next next to each other?

It's the least jungly place on earth and this is such a late, lazy decision.

Whatever, just a shame a once legitimate amusement park is now totally under the thumb of bad market research and desperate decision making.

I'm not even sure if it will be popular just because the TV show still gets a fair number of viewers, totally depends how the attraction is run. They thought Saw Alive would be super popular because of the IP, they thought Angry Birds Bland would magically turn the well established thrill park into a family resort. Thorpe Park is quickly becoming a giant passé TV set and it doesn't need to be

What I don't get is the whole "family friendly" approach. I'm a celebrity is NOT a family TV show and I'm sure families wouldn't like to be experiencing it themselves together.

It will either be decent or an absolute fail, I'm also worried about the throughput as I doubt it can be a high throughput attraction.

Another potential problem is it ending up the way saw alive did, high running costs and not popular enough to justify running.

PS if it includes celebrity cyclone, do you think this could just be the flowrider placed indoors incorporated in some way possible?

What I don't get is the whole "family friendly" approach. I'm a celebrity is NOT a family TV show

I watch it with my family (mum/dad/younger sister).

I'm hoping its done properly. My only concern is that the 'celebrity cyclone' trial doesn't end up being like the indoor syringe section of Saw with a few blasts of air shooting at you.

This is brilliant! Great addition Thorpe. Although seriously I think Benin nailed it.

Do we need such cr@p just for the sake of something new? I assume that it's a knee jerk reaction to loosing Ranger County, under what will be a mass of marketing hoarding ready for 2016.

As always, Merlin just don't get QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. We didn't need this, and no one cares.

This does seem reasonable! What gets me most about this is the level of detail and themeing currently going into this! :)

...but for now we are currently faced by big questions:

- Where is Braniac Live gonna go during half term?

- What'll happen to Studio 13? (or 'Shipping Container 13' as I can easily predict for this year's Fright Nights ;))

Braniac could be in the Marquee. It is in the right area of open rides so would make sense.

As for this, I think it could be quite good fun and something different for the Park that isn't a ride trying to make me sick. Fun.

It's already caught the medias attention massively so it's a success that way.

Ironically, this would probably be more suited to Chessie...

Too thrilling for Chessington though? Chessington is aiming at under 12s, who shouldn't be watching a post-watershed show. Thorpe is aiming for over 12s, who although might not have watched the whole thing are at least a more suitable age group.