'I'm a Celebrity' Attraction - 2015

JoshC.

Looking over the comments on facebook they are all completely against the idea.

Think it would have gone down better if they didn't have a new attraction this year after all. I guess we will just have to see how it goes, I'm looking forward to giving it a try but it better be a good quality attraction.

Too thrilling for Chessington though? Chessington is aiming at under 12s, who shouldn't be watching a post-watershed show. Thorpe is aiming for over 12s, who although might not have watched the whole thing are at least a more suitable age group.

Chessington have this whole thing where it offers 'unique family adventures' they want all bases covered, so if this had to be forced on us, then it would have suited them better.

Chessington have this whole thing where it offers 'unique family adventures' they want all bases covered, so if this had to be forced on us, then it would have suited them better.

I think if Chessington were to do something similar then I guess it would feature live animals, similar to the show in front of Hocus Pocus Hall. Something where they "dare" children to hold a spider or have a snake around their neck would be a lot of fun and would be a small cheap show to put on.

I really hope this isn't the end of Studio as I found it the best maze during Fright Nights very slightly beating Cabin (Saw Alive for face it alone though).

Thing is- between this and the arena being used for the 2016 attraction, there are very few places left for fn mazes bar the beach so not sure what they're gonna do there :/ gonna be... Interesting haha.

As for the attraction itself... Ughh I'm underwhelmed. Never cared for the show, I think I maybe watched it one year, and although I'm hoping they pleasantly surprise me, I can see this being very underwhelming, even for those who DO like it. I feel like it's more about the IP than the actual attraction, just another way to pull in customers. Ahh we'll see I guess! Hoping for the best though :)

Looking at the photos it does seem to be good theming, I especially like the use of using the phone box that's used in the TV series! This being said though I'm still a bit undecided on the idea of using IAC. The idea seems good but I can't see them executing it properly without coming across a lot of problems. Yes it IS a popular show, and it could be good, but putting it in Thorpe Park just for the sake of something new for 2015? Nah. Like it's been said higher up, would be suited better to Chessington. I don't know what I expected with those clues but it definitely wasn't that, so they've surprised me to say the least...

(Unless the famous Tucker is the prize for winning all the stars. Then I'm totally down with that.)

They have actually managed to dissapoint me further. Nothing new with some paint around the place would have been better. I don't like the show and how it can work as an attraction is just bewildering. It's going to go the way of saw alive being too expensive to run for something people will only do once. Very poor choice of investment and very typical short term thinking. Highly likely to have a low throughput with high demand in summer. No doubt fastrack will be sold for it. It sounds like it's another storm surge investment. Something shoe horned in with no thought that results in customer satisfaction decreasing.

Couple more details from Thorpe's main site:

Can I ride?

The I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! maze is family friendly, but we advise:

the recommended age limit is 8+, but this is at your own discretion

you are capable of completing physical activities such as ascending steep gradients, tight angles and an escape chute

there will be an alternative route available for wheelchair users

https://www.thorpepark.com/rides/I'm-a-celebrity/

Well it seems like the GP will already love it, but for me, it's another 'why should I travel 2+ hours, spend X amount and make all that effort to come down to Thorpe for another out-dated, rushed IP.'

I mean it looks highly themed, compared to 'Angry Stickers Land' last year

I have to admit though, on a positive note, it is something different for a park for when I visited for the first time in 2012, It was just full on thrill rides, and it's nice to have that variety Thorpe has been missing.

I can't wait for 2016 now, Loose Women - The Ride  ;)

It would be interesting to see what everyone's reaction would be without the IAC branding. I bet it would be a whole lot more positive

Definitely, because it would mean that someone realises that creativity isn't dead...

Unfortunately, it would appear that the belief (especially after Swarm's apparent 'failure' for being crap and unsuccessful) that IPs are the future will not dwindle anytime soon... Given that Towers created Smiler's branding soon after, you do think what Merlin Studios do with their time...

On a positive, at least it appeals to the family market. And whilst I am initially cynical, from the sounds of it, it will offer a complete different experience the park currently offers. A large majority want the park to steer in the direction which is not just rides, rides, rides. So whilst I'm not a big fan of the use of the IP, if they do it properly, I really think it could be a decent addition to the park, although, dreading the throughputs... And as Ricky has said, it's an indoor experience - something Thorpe doesn't have enough of!

I like I'm a Celeb, but I just feel..... Disappointed at this attraction. Because though I liked Thorpe's FN mazes, I liked them because I found them funny, not scary like they should be. So will this 'intense' experience actually leave me shrieking my head off with laughter?

I think that is actually the idea. It's going to be a recreation of the experience, so I imagine the majority of things won't be used such as real snakes etc but there may be some variety of live animals. I do think it'll be good fun, especially with a group of people.

I just hope Thorpe know what they're doing here and what they're dealing with in terms of the public.

They've made so many U turns they clearly don't. This thing is already getting the mickey taken on social media. It's another basic formula attraction, satisfies market stats, cheap to build, expensive to run and I highly doubt it will be built to last more than 5 years.

You know they don't know what they're doing when even Thorpe Park fans are struggling to defend it! The question is, what's worse, a bad last minute addition or no new addition at all?

I find it interesting that people keep mentioning Saw Alive.  Saw Alive had about 10-15 actors a day, at £70 a day.  That adds up very very quickly.  And it just turned out that people weren't really fussed about scare attractions outside of Halloween (which can also be seen with Sanctuary, when that was open in early 2013, and even back when they ran Freakshow 3D for a couple of weeks over summer 2005).

I'm expecting this attraction to be less actor-heavy.  I'm seeing it more as a Hocus Pocus Hall with actors to guide you in the right direction.  I'd be surprised if, on a normal day, there were any more than 4 or 5 actors at any one time in the attraction.  So the cost is going to be significantly less than Saw Alive.

The other Merlin parks have attractions with actors (granted, mostly shows, but look to Sub Terra at Towers and Krake Lebt / Krake Lebt Kids at Heide as well).  So long as they advertise this right, this can easily be an attraction which has lasting power.  And by the looks of the construction pictures, the theming is actually decent, so it may have some 'reride' factor.  

Of course, the problem lies with the need to advertise it right.  I'm worried that by calling it a 'maze', it could potentially put people off, given the reputation Thorpe's 'mazes' have.  Which seems to be why they would go for the easy option of an IP and by giving it a quick explanation to say it's family friendly - making people know what to expect a bit more.

As I've said before, I do think this could turn out to be a neat little attraction if they execute right (and, I feel slightly embarrassed to say, I am looking forward to giving it a try!).  But I'm a bit sceptical about it all at the same time...